Qolsys IQ2+ keypad "slowness" and DSC WS9LCDWF9 keypad

We’ve noticed a little bit of a lag in the IQ2+ keypad when attempting to disarm the system. Sometimes the delay leads to incorrect PIN entry and we’ve even had a false alarm due to the countdown timer running all the way down.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My wife would like a physical keypad as a remedy and it looks like the DSC model is our only option. The lack of features is perfectly fine as this would be mounted in the garage and used as a basic arm/disarm device.
Considering it’s location, and potential access during an armed state (if we accidentally left the garage door open, for example), does the keypad limit the number of incorrect disarm attempts before triggering an alarm?

We’ve noticed a little bit of a lag in the IQ2+ keypad when attempting to disarm the system. Sometimes the delay leads to incorrect PIN entry and we’ve even had a false alarm due to the countdown timer running all the way down.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have not noticed any delays on the IQ Panel 2+ when typing in the code to disarm and I tend to do it quite quickly with no issue.

Has the panel always done this or just more recently?

A few things to try:

• You can bring down the Settings Tray and click on Clean Screen then take a cloth to wipe down any oils/fingerprints which can inhibit button presses.
  • Click Settings → Reboot to restart the panel. Try arming/disarming, any change?
  • If not, do a full power cycle then test again.

Considering it’s location, and potential access during an armed state (if we accidentally left the garage door open, for example), does the keypad limit the number of incorrect disarm attempts before triggering an alarm?

The DSC WS9LCDWF9 is the only keypad with physical buttons that is compatible with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ at this time.

I don’t believe that you can program the keypad to only accept “X” amount of disarm attempts before triggering the alarm.

When the panel is armed away, the alarm will sound if you click on disarm and don’t enter in a correct code after 30 seconds. It is unclear if the keypad follows these rules. I will follow up with more info.

The screen is clean so I will try a reboot.
Interestingly, the delay seems to occur when the panel has been in an armed state for several hours. It’s almost as if it take a second or two for the panel to wake up when the entry sensor with delay is triggered.
For example, I just returned from work and triggered the delay. The panel is immediately visible from the entry point and it took maybe 1-2seconds for the panel to switch from the red armed screen to the numerical keypad and then didn’t register the first number of my pin (or it felt that way). Since it immediately didnt register the first number,I entered it again, and it finally did recognize the initial button press and I ended up having to delete and reenter.
If the panel is armed for say 30-60min, the keypad immediately appears upon triggering of the delay entry sensor.
I’ll try a reboot.
We recently upgraded the firmware to 2.5 but this issue preceded the FW update.

Also today the alarm appears to have been triggered by the panel glassbreak? Can you confirm this on your end?

Appreciate any info on the DSC keypad. Even just a link to the install literature would be great (it doesn’t seem to be linked on the DSC website for some reason).

On the PowerG keypad if the wrong code is entered once it will begin the countdown process to disarm the system, there is no option to change this. The PowerG keypad follows the same countdown timer as the IQP2+. If the system is in Arm Away and the timer reaches zero, the alarm will trigger.

Still looking for pairing steps myself. Will post back

For example, I just returned from work and triggered the delay. The panel is immediately visible from the entry point and it took maybe 1-2seconds for the panel to switch from the red armed screen to the numerical keypad and then didn’t register the first number of my pin (or it felt that way). Since it immediately didnt register the first number,I entered it again, and it finally did recognize the initial button press and I ended up having to delete and reenter

I will attempt to test this to confirm as well but this is the first I’m hearing of this.

Also today the alarm appears to have been triggered by the panel glassbreak? Can you confirm this on your end?

Yes the panel glass break triggered the alarm. If no glass was broken it is possible to be triggered by dogs barking etc. Is this possible for you?

That’s great about the DSC disarm protocol. I was concerned that the keypad would allow someone infinite attempts to enter a code.

Hmmm we do have a dog, but he was quiet at the time. I believe my wife dropped her keys which may have caused an alarm?
I disarmed the panel glassbreak since we have a number of PowerG glassbreaks that I believe are superior in function and more resistant to false triggers(at least according to the DSC documentation that indicates even glassbreak detectors will likely not produce an alarm).

For glass break detectors which have less false alarm prevention, yes dropped keys might trigger one.

The Power G glass break detector does boast strong false alarm filtering, and is probably the best glass break option for the IQ Panel 2+ to avoid false alarms.

Just for follow-up- I ended up ordering the DSC keypad at there appears to be significant limitations.
As far as I can tell, the single touch arm buttons do not appear to communicate with the panel. To arm and disarm, you enter the code, and the system will allow you the arm/disarm in stay mode only.
I believe I will be returning this unit.

I’m looking into exactly what the behavior is supposed to be. I haven’t used a WS9LCDWF9 with the IQ Panel 2+ myself yet.

Have you tried holding the single touch buttons (function keys) down for 2 seconds? On most DSC systems I’ve worked with you have to hold them for 2 seconds to get them to respond.

Yeah. There’s also a pretty decent write-up for the keypad and using it with the IQ panel over on alarmgrid (in their faq).
Sometimes they keys work, sometimes they say no response from panel. Really odd.
I noticed if you enter your code once, it will arm stay, if you enter your code again, it arms away. Would prefer to use the single keys.

Alarmgrid’s FAQ indicates the function keys should work.

If secure arming is disabled within panel programming, pressing and holding the Stay or Away buttons on the front of the keypad for two (2) full seconds will arm the system to the corresponding mode. If secure arming is enabled, pressing the arming key will prompt the user to enter a valid 4-digit code to arm. Once armed, entering any valid 4-digit code will disarm the system.

I feel like something is wrong. Maybe a bug in the 2.5.0 software or a bad keypad. I’ll discuss with Qolsys and follow up with you.

I had a little trouble initially pairing the keypad to the panel. Do you happen to have any idea how to reset the keypad?

I’ll look for it and let you know when I find it. In the mean time, have you seen this?

Using the IQ Panel 2 + with PowerG wireless keypad WS9LCDWF9

Oh, interesting, ive not seen that. Thanks for sharing.

I was able to reset the keypad (power cycled the keypad, deleted and relearned it to the panel) and everything seems to be working now.
Will test for a few days and report back with feedback for others who may go this route.

I believe what I’m seeing in terms of poor performance and poor response time could be due to some latency related to use of battery power only.
The device needs to be “woken up” when powered by batteries and the first 2 commands are very slowntl to respond.
I ordered a very inexpensive transformer and will see if that helps.

That seems like a good theory. Let us know how it goes. We’ll probably hear back from Qolsys about this tomorrow.

I heard back from Qolsys. You should be able to arm stay or away with the function keys by holding them down for 2 seconds. If that’s not working then something is wrong.

Thanks for the follow-up. I figured maybe my unit had an issue so I’ve requested a replacement from the seller.
Will report back my experience with the new unit and transformer power.

To follow up on this: I received a replacement unit and it works perfectly. No slowness, function keys work as advertised. Not sure what was wrong with the first unit I received, but it certainly appears it was faulty.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming! Glad to hear that resolved the issue.