Qolsys IQ2 & alarm.com

Hello, we are building a new home and I was dead set on wiring up my own security system. I have done a 180 though and think wireless is going to meet my needs (and laziness). From what I see of the IQ2, it seems pretty awesome. I have some fuzzy areas in all of this though and wondered if I could get some clarity.

From what I have found, the IQ2 handles 100 security sensors. On last count, my hardwired plan had me at 62. Your “Gold Interactive” plan states “Sensor Activity Monitoring (50 Sensors)”. What happens to the sensors > 50?

Zwave… I have seen alarm.com’s Zwave compatibility list and I am confused on whether I am limited by that list, or by what the panel is compatible with? As a small example, GE appears to offer several dimmer switches… Alarm.com says it is compatible only with GE’s 45606. Does the IQ2 (and other panels) have it’s own internal Zwave list/instruction sets, or is it simply sending a code to alarm.com for translation and then back down to the panel to send the actual Zwave command to the device (making the IQ2 just a command middleman rather than an interpreter if that makes sense)?

I know there are a ton of variables, but any guidance on a sensor’s ability to pass through brick walls? The main panel will be inside, about 20’ from an exterior wall and about 12’ further out from that wall I am building a small shop that I’d like to protect a few windows & doors in… maybe a motion sensor. Should I plan on hardwiring the shop and using a wireless converter or is there a pretty reasonable chance that 2 brick walls and ~55 feet won’t be an issue for wireless?

Last one I think… You offer the Verizon IQ2. My cell service is with ATT. I haven’t quite figured out if that is relevant (even if you do have the ATT version available). Is the actual wireless service included in the alarm.com subscription? Or does the end user supply/activate/pay service for a SIM on their own account?

Thank you very much for your time!
Jason

From what I have found, the IQ2 handles 100 security sensors. On last count, my hardwired plan had me at 62. Your “Gold Interactive” plan states “Sensor Activity Monitoring (50 Sensors)”. What happens to the sensors > 50?

Sensor Activity Monitoring is different from the standard alarm monitoring for that zone. You can read about the difference between activity monitoring and security monitoring here.

Long story short, Activity Monitoring is an Alarm.com feature allowing real-time sensor status notification even when the system is disarmed. It does not apply to all sensor types, and is mainly used for door/window sensors to know exactly when they are opened all the time.

I have seen alarm.com’s Zwave compatibility list and I am confused on whether I am limited by that list, or by what the panel is compatible with?

A couple things to help clarify:

1. Official lists for compatibility are good to follow to ensure functionality, but do not represent all of the products that will work, just those tested and proven.

2. In the case of Alarm.com, their list is a general and more limited one because it is a guideline for all compatible Alarm.com panels with Z-wave capability.

3. If the manufacturer has a compatibility list like Qolsys, that would be fine to go off of.

4. Lights and switches are the simplest of Z-wave devices and as long as the switch has only one function you would be hard-pressed to find one that doesn’t work, to be honest. Thermostats and Locks are far less forgiving and you should definitely stick to the manufacturer compatibility list.

Should I plan on hardwiring the shop and using a wireless converter or is there a pretty reasonable chance that 2 brick walls and ~55 feet won’t be an issue for wireless?

This is difficult to say. Brick can do a pretty good job of stunting RF transmission, and at that range you may see issues with a couple brick walls. You could always try a wireless repeater near the home’s exterior wall to assist if you wish to go wireless, like the RE524X.

Is the actual wireless service included in the alarm.com subscription? Or does the end user supply/activate/pay service for a SIM on their own account?

The pricing for all subscriptions found here and on the subscription product pages includes all cellular data charges and is flat. You do not need any additional cellular data plan.

Crystal clear answers sir, thank you very much for your time. Especially the mention of the RE524X… when I was writing the original post above, I had been wishing that sensors were mesh like Zwave, but I didn’t know wireless repeaters existed, so that’s the next best thing… That will certainly open up some possibilities that I probably haven’t even thought of.

I’ll be back when the house construction is a little further along (aka how much we stick to our budget), but I think I now know what I do/don’t need to do wiring wise.

Much appreciated!
Jason

Our pleasure! If you have any other questions, happy to help.