Qolsys IQ 2 for new system

I have been looking at GC3 vs Qolsys and have settled on the Qolsys IQ 2 largely due to aesthetics (thinner and smaller bezel). Are there any differences I should be aware of that may cause issues down the road? I think I remember reading that the Qolsys panel is compatible with (most) GE sensors as well as Qolsys branded sensors. Are there any sensors that I am missing out on? I’m guessing alarm.com cameras, doorbells, etc. will be compatible with both the GC3 and the IQ 2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages as far as home automation is concerned? I thought that the IQ 2 may have an edge because of the Z-Wave Plus support. Is it still compatible with standard Z-Wave devices?

I’m mostly concerned with limiting my choices with sensors and features, but it seems like the two are fairly close there. After that, I’m worried about home automation features, but I’m not sure how far apart those two panels are.

It seems like the GC3 is a much more popular panel and 2Gig seems to be good at keeping their panels up to date. Should I be worried about going with a Qolsys panel as far as receiving updates? I am also worried about the product lifecycle with how quickly security/home automation products are evolving and it seems like 2Gig may have a shorter panel lifecycle allowing them to add features more rapidly. I may be overthinking this, but I’ve been out of the security arena for a while and things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.

Sorry for the novel and I’d appreciate any input or advice!

Also, I’m interested in the Ion Security Micra Wireless Window Sensor because of their low profile. With the Qolsys panel I was going to try their GE-compatible sensors but was wondering if anyone knew of any other recessed window sensors that have been confirmed to be compatible with the IQ 2.

Hello! Happy to help!

I think I remember reading that the Qolsys panel is compatible with (most) GE sensors as well as Qolsys branded sensors. Are there any sensors that I am missing out on?

Qolsys uses the 319.5Mhz band and is compatible with GE sensors and their own Qolsys branded sensors. The 2GIG GC3 by comparison uses the 345Mhz frequency and works with Honeywell sensors as well as their own 2GIG branded sensors. For the most part each, company has the same types of sensors available for use. Qolsys does have their S-Line sensors offering better encryption, however.

I’m guessing alarm.com cameras, doorbells, etc. will be compatible with both the GC3 and the IQ 2

If utilizing service through Alarm.com, Alarm.com compatible cameras would be required. These cameras do not interact with the panel directly, making compatibility a non issue. A list of most compatible cameras can be found here.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages as far as home automation is concerned?
For the most part no, Most device types are offered for both platforms and advantages/disadvantages would come down to personal preference in specific make/model of devices. Are there any make/model devices you are looking for in particular?
I thought that the IQ 2 may have an edge because of the Z-Wave Plus support. Is it still compatible with standard Z-Wave devices?
It would be compatible with both Z-wave and Z-Wave Plus.
Should I be worried about going with a Qolsys panel as far as receiving updates? I am also worried about the product lifecycle with how quickly security/home automation products are evolving and it seems like 2Gig may have a shorter panel lifecycle allowing them to add features more rapidly.

Firmware is actively worked on and released by both companies. As far as product life cycle, it would be pure speculation on my part to say how long either panel would be around for. Note, the Qolsys IQ 2 is a replacement for the Qolsys IQ panel and was released this past year. The 2GIG GC3 on the other hand is offered as a “Premium” version to the 2GIG Go!Control GC2 rather than a replacement.

Also, I’m interested in the Ion Security Micra Wireless Window Sensor because of their low profile. With the Qolsys panel I was going to try their GE-compatible sensors but was wondering if anyone knew of any other recessed window sensors that have been confirmed to be compatible with the IQ 2.

I have not been able to test the Ion Security Micra with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and could not confirm its compatibility at this time. However, nothing that is confirmed compatible with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 is as low profile as the Micra. The Qolsys S-Line recessed sensor for comparison, can be found here.

Thanks for getting back, Tyler! I am hoping to get everything ordered and start installation this month. I think I’m going to try the Ion Micra sensors and if they work well, I’ll let you know. I’d assume they would, but who knows!

I think I am still leaning toward the IQ 2 panel. I’ve just never had experience with them as a company, so I want to make sure they are going to be around. It seems like they have big names behind them, but, like I’ve said, I’ve been out of the security game for a while (around when Vivint was still Apex).

As far as preference in home automation devices, I haven’t looked too much into that yet. I currently have very little as far as that goes, but I want to make sure I’m not painting myself into a corner with any of that.

I appreciate your help and I’ll let you know what I find with the Ion Micra sensor when I get this project going. Thanks!

I am setting up my system with the ion Micra sensors, GE compatible version. I bought one as a a test to try out before investing in a bunch of them. Panel recognizes it and it installs easily. Completely invisible in your vinyl window. Looks great…