Qolsys Force Z-Wave Device Type?

Is there any way to force a device type recognition in the Qolsys panel? I have an automated drapery motor z-wave control that for whatever reason the panel sees as a External Siren. I realize that just means it’s one that’s not compatible with Qolsys, but wasn’t sure if there was any way to force it into an on/off/open/close style device.

Ultimately, I’m hoping to get a full controller, something like a SmartThings or the like, but was waiting until Qolsys was updated to play nice as a secondary controller. I’m guessing this means until that time, I can’t add the drapery control to my network in a usable fashion, but figured I’d check just in case I’m missing something obvious.

Unfortunately that’s not possible. The Qolsys panel cannot display its actual type since the command class is different. Strange that it shows as a siren, but you cannot force it in some way.

Have you tried removing re-adding to the same effect?

Yeah, same result. Guess it’s just waiting for Qolsys to be able to play nice as a secondary, then get a smartthings.

Hi Jason,

Wanted to bump an old thread to check. Do we have any way to get support from Qolsys when a device is recognized incorrectly, or is it just requesting support for a new device and hoping they add it?

I’m still trying to decide the best approach in this case, but starting to think I may just have to run 2 independent z-wave networks in the house. Not my desired approach, but not sure if I have another choice.

Primary reason for all the fun is I’m building a dedicated home theater and working on good automation for it. Effectively a scene that would close the drapes, drop the screen, set the lights at 50% and turn on all the equipment. Barring getting the devices working on the IQ panel, my next option was looking at a combination of SmartThings and Harmony (with a little help from Amazon Echo for the wow effect).

Am I missing an obvious solution here?

Wanted to bump an old thread to check. Do we have any way to get support from Qolsys when a device is recognized incorrectly, or is it just requesting support for a new device and hoping they add it?

There is no way to force the panel to see a device whose command class is not supported. Technically, blind motors are not supported by Alarm.com either yet, and typically in the case of a 2GIG panel, they will show up as a light switch if at all.

There is no obvious solution except Qolsys adding support for the command class, but that is not as likely a high priority since it is not an Alarm.com supported device (at least officially). We will contact ADC and see if window blinds/motors are in the pipeline.

Sounds good, thanks! Yeah, I’d be solid even with an on/off switch showing up (I just need to open and close, so no worry there), but since it comes in as a siren, it has no command structure at all. Though I suppose it’d be fun if the alarm triggers and the drapes open. :slight_smile:

Z-wave Blinds are not in the works yet. For shade/blinds options through ADC, as well as additional lighting control options, Lutron Radio Ra2 is a completely integrated compatible system. (I’m a fan of the more granular options in RadioRa as well)

I ended up getting a SmartThings that I’m going to run isolated, just for the theater (and integrated to Amazon Echo for the cool effect). The drape control registers as a dimmer and seems to function well. The other reason I snagged ST was there’s a nice control for the Fibaro RGBW LED z-wave controller as well (also part of the theater).

That said, definitely will check out the Lutron as I’d like to eventually put most of the blinds in the house on automation.