Qolsys DW false tamper

I have a Qolsys DW sensor (basement door) that is erroneously reporting tamper for no known reasons. The device is about 2 years old. Any suggestions on how to resolve this other than to replace the device / battery?

I tried to set it as a different type sensor so that it wouldn’t set off the alarm for a tamper, but so I could monitor it. I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that, so I “deleted” the device.

I have a Qolsys DW sensor (basement door) that is erroneously reporting tamper for no known reasons. The device is about 2 years old. Any suggestions on how to resolve this other than to replace the device / battery?

A wireless sensor is going to report tamper when the tamper switch inside is released (typically due to the cover being removed).

A loose latch on the cover can cause intermittent tampers. What model of sensor is this? (there are quite a few Qolsys DW models)

Is the door a sliding door or is there anything nearby which would cause the door/sensor to vibrate?

I tried to set it as a different type sensor so that it wouldn’t set off the alarm for a tamper, but so I could monitor it. I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that, so I “deleted” the device

You would need to choose Sensor Group 25 in programming. This type of zone reports to Alarm.com but is not used for generating alarms.

This is a QS1115-840. The cover was pretty solidly on. The door is a swinging door and there isn’t anything nearby to cause the door/sensor to vibrate. The sensor is placed on the door frame, which is pretty solidly in place. Someone would have to go down into the basement and kick the door or something like that.

The circuit board inside the device has some play, but perhaps that is normal? It seemed to only be generating the tamper when I open and closed the door before, but now it seems to generate completely spontaneous tamper alerts.

I will add the sensor back into Sensor Group 25 and see if it continues to report tamper alarms.

The circuit board inside the device has some play, but perhaps that is normal? It seemed to only be generating the tamper when I open and closed the door before, but now it seems to generate completely spontaneous tamper alerts.

If you could pretty commonly cause it to occur by some vibration of the sensor (opening and closing the door) then the switch is almost certainly not firmly closed for whatever reason. If loose enough inside the tamper switch may be pressed barely enough to close and may open intermittently.

The QS1115-840 uses a tamper switch which is depressed not by the front cover, but by the back of the housing. Did you screw down the back-plate to the door/frame? The screw hole is optional and is used as a break-away tamper, so that if someone pries the sensor from the door without removing the cover, the piece that closes the tamper switch is broken off and a tamper alert goes off.

Be sure the break-away portion is not loose or partially snapped off.