Qolsys and Zigbee

So the spec sheet for the panel lists a Zigbee radio, but then I also see something about proprietary image sensors. Would the panel be compatible with a zigbee bulb like the GE link, or just z wave stuff?

The “Zigbee” radio protocol is just used for the Image Sensor on Qolsys. You will need Zwave for home automation.

Figured, but wanted to be sure. With all the zigbee bulbs taking off (not to mention being a good bit cheaper), figured it be a nice pro if the panel could control those too.

I like Zigbee. It can be a bit more complex and versatile than Zwave, but it is more difficult to develop for, has about 1/3 the static range and requires much more specific layout, and the standard rf can be interfered by standard wifi because it uses 2.4ghz. The optional 915 mhz helps most of the drawbacks.

Seems kind of silly that they’d put a Zigbee radio in the unit, and not support zigbee bulbs… Based on this “interview” with Qolsys, I expect they at least planned to at some point… http://www.hometoys.com/article/2015/12/smart-home-interview--qolsys/32912/ where Qolsys themselves tout “Z-Wave and Zigbee for home control and smart home devices”

There may have been early plans to support both, but Z-wave is in general more robust and the standard for Alarm.com systems.