Qolsys 7V Transformer Amperage

Having an issue with one of my Qolsys remote panels. I have the transformer in a central location, use alarm wire to get most of the way to the wall mounted remote. Then I spliced in the standard factory wire that terminates with the barrel plug. I verified polarity all the way from my splice to the transformer.

When I first installed the panel I heard a high pitched whine from the speaker. Not loud but noticeable. Read that some of the other panels had this so I wasn’t too worried. It fired up and worked without issue. That was yesterday. Later today I got a notice that the panel was offline. I checked and it was still plugged in but showing the battery charging icon. I waited for hours and it never charged.

Swapped that remote pad into another working location and the pad worked fine for hours without the whine. It fully charged and operated. I moved a known working remote to the location where the first remote went bad and had the same whine. So I think there’s something wrong with the transformer or wiring.

Have 7.5 steady volts. I checked amperage and this is where I get a little lost. I set my multimeter to 200m and saw about 115 at the transformer and at the panel. I checked the transformer to my main panel and my multimeter showed “1” at the transformer. Both are the same model transformer. Does it sound like the transformer for the remote is bad? I figure if the wiring is bad the amerage at the transformer would be different than that at the panel.

Any advice?

I checked amperage and this is where I get a little lost. I set my multimeter to 200m and saw about 115 at the transformer and at the panel

You cannot test amperage the same way you test voltage.

Amps can only be tested in series with the load connected and operating. Amps are not “pushed” so to speak, they are a rating of available current to the device. Generally speaking you wouldn’t need to test that.

Voltage drop under load though may be a real concern.

use alarm wire to get most of the way

What gauge cable did you use for the power run and how long is that cable?

Did you only use a single conductor for + and - or did you double up?

Understand on testing the amperage. I disconnected the splice between the alarm wire and the factory wire and put a probe on each side. Panel powered up (only charge icon) and the display showed 115. At the transformer I disconnected the wire from the screw terminal. Put a probe on the terminal and another on the wire. Unit powered up (only charge icon) and I had the same amperage reading. I can retest if you suggest another method.

What’s the best way to test voltage drop under load?

I can’t see enough of the cable to check the marking. I standard 4 wire stranded alarm cable. Did not double up. I’m using the other two conductors to run 12v.

I can’t see enough of the cable to check the marking. I standard 4 wire stranded alarm cable. Did not double up. I’m using the other two conductors to run 12v.

Alarm installers use a handful of different cables for various purposes, but what you are describing is most likely 22/4 cable, and if you are only using single conductors that would be the issue depending on the length of the run.

How long is that cable?

Not sure on the length of the cable. I will try to look at the markings tonight to see if there is a length marking. What’s the upper limit?

I would assume it’s 24/4. Stranded yellow jacket (I know that doesn’t mean much).

Not sure on the length of the cable. I will try to look at the markings tonight to see if there is a length marking.

An estimate is good enough, if you can actually see the exact markers that would be great, but it’s not generally needed.

24/4 would have an even shorter range. You may see significant drop at as little as 10-20 feet.

The manufacturer recommends 18AWG cable.

Doubled up 22AWG is roughly the equivalent of 19AWG,

Had the chance to work on it this weekend. I swapped around transformers to verify it isn’t a transformer issue and it isn’t. Leaves the wire/length as the only culprit.

It is 22/4 wire. Comes from upstairs to downstairs and across half the house.

I connected the panel to a nearby outlet. Looks like poo now but that’s my interim step until I figure out what to do. Everything currently works as it should. I’m going to let it run like this for a while and then I’m going to try doubling up the wire.

I’m going to let it run like this for a while and then I’m going to try doubling up the wire.

Doubling up the 22 gauge is usually pretty effective in handling this issue.