Purpose of SVR (vs cloud recording

I’m planning a new system and I’m unfamiliar with SVR recording. I’ve had two types of systems in the past: cloud-only (eg. Nest) and NVR where I had local storage that I could access on my own (eg. Amcrest).

How does it work with Surety / Alarm.com? I’ll have 6-7 cameras and two doorbell cams. I want to be able to: (1) view any stream remotely from a mobile app; (2) have automatic event detection on all of those cameras; (3) have playback, particularly for events on mobile; (4) be able to download or store “lock” (to avoid deletion) certain records in case I need those for insurance or police.

If I can use local storage and avoid paying additional monthly fees, that’s cool as long as I can meet all four of the above requirements.

All that said, I’d love if you can explain SVR vs cloud? And let me know how I can best meet the four requirements above for the lowest monthly cost.

Thank you!

All that said, I’d love if you can explain SVR vs cloud? And let me know how I can best meet the four requirements above for the lowest monthly cost.

The four requirements can be met without an SVR, just using the cloud clip recording.

SVR is an additional service feature on top of cloud video service through Alarm.com, and the main difference it provides is 24/7 recording.

Event based recording with video analytics is still there if you use an SVR, the SVR is an additional recording option. Use of the Complete or Protect plan is required to add an SVR.

Here is a page detailing the SVR option:

This page describes in detail how Alarm.com cloud video storage works for clips:

Thank you @jwcsurety ! I appreciate the help and I did read those prior to posting. I guess I’m confused about the value of the SVR since the cloud provides the same capabilities? What’s the benefit of the SVR?

Like, for example, if I have the SVR can I avoid paying a monthly fee?

Cloud clips are 30 second clips triggered by activity in view of the camera based on pre-determined rules. There are upload limits described here.

SVR is 24/7 recording stored locally. That is the main difference. The Alarm.com SVR is recording everything at all times for the cameras you choose to connect to it, not clips.

The SVR does not have upload limits, etc. The limits to how much it can record are entirely based on the size of the hard drive in it and how many cameras are connected.

Like, for example, if I have the SVR can I avoid paying a monthly fee?

No. The SVR is a service in addition to base video service and it costs more for SVR access. Alarm.com cloud video is a pre-requisite for using the SVR. We include SVR access in a couple plans. SVR support is available in the Complete and Protect plans (or the Cam plan if you want a video only Alarm.com account.)

Thank you again @jwcsurety – very helpful!