Purchasing a new home, can I buy my equipment early?

Hi folks,

I’m in the process of purchasing a home. I want the Surety Complete package and currently have several items in my cart ready to buy.

The new home builder wants to be able to install the 2 thermostats and 1 doorbell camera prior to closing to get it out of the way. So I was going to go ahead and purchase these items now, to get the process started.

Will this start my free month trial before I actually get the system set up, if I order the equipment before I’m ready to move in and get it all together?

Does the trial start at activation, and is activation done by me, on my schedule, or automatic from when the equipment is configured?

We don’t close for another two weeks from now, and won’t actually move in for three. But I am getting the internet set up a few days after closing and want to activate the alarm then, before we actually officially move in.

Is this feasible or will I be eating into my free first month without the system being used at all?

Also, the thermostats and doorbell would be installed well before closing/activation. Will this cause any complications? Will the thermostats work in the house before the system goes active? (Not too worried about the doorbell working if I’m not there.)

Or is it better to wait until close and/or move in to order equipment and get it all started? (the only complication there is that I won’t get the free install from the builder on the tstats and doorbell)

Thanks so much.

Will this start my free month trial before I actually get the system set up, if I order the equipment before I’m ready to move in and get it all together?

Happy to help! Your first month of service, and the start of the free trial, begins when you activate your Alarm.com account through the Surety System Manager. This can be done at any time after your purchase.

Waiting a few weeks is not a problem and won’t impact the free trial.

Will the thermostats work in the house before the system goes active?

You wouldn’t be able to set schedules, but you can do the basic configuration on the Tstat screen and you can control the HVAC prior to being connected to ADC, yes.

The video doorbell would of course need to be connected to your wifi to function as a camera, but there is nothing wrong with pre-installing it.

You’re a rock star. Thanks for the help.

So I just ordered the equipment, and under the subscription information it says that it’s currently active and my next billing date is August 31. And I know I’ve read on here that the billing actually posts ten days prior to the billing date.

I’m assuming that isn’t correct based on what you just told me? Is that a default message that’ll be overridden when I activate my system?

Yep, there will be a placeholder date for the next billing which gets automatically adjusted when you activate service (or adjusted out if you haven’t yet by that time)

As soon as you activate, it gets updated to be 10 days prior to the next due date. (all auto-payments run by default 10 days prior to due date to allow reaction time for failed payments)

1 Like