Process To Upgrade Panel

I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade my IQ panel to the new model (it’s getting up there in age and cellular end of life among other reasons), but that’s got me wondering about the process itself.

Is this a completely manual process as far as learning all of the senors and z-wave devices into the new panel, or is there any manner of transfer that can be used to speed things up? In the same thought, would I need to remove sensors from the old panel prior to learning them into the new one, or are sensors just transmit only devices (i.e. I put the new panel in learn, trigger a sensor, and new panel would see it)?

Happy to assist!

Is this a completely manual process as far as learning all of the senors and z-wave devices into the new panel, or is there any manner of transfer that can be used to speed things up?

RF sensor settings can be transferred from the Gen 1 Qolsys to the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ by means of a backup and restore through Alarm.com. This usually works but is dependent on a variety of factors including connection. More on that below. The backup is only for User codes and RF sensor settings. Not for image sensors, Z-wave devices, or panel settings.

Since Image Sensors are not compatible with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+, those would need to be removed prior to the backup of current settings being run, as those cannot be passed to the new panel.

Completely manual process for Z-Wave devices however. Settings do not get backed up or pushed to the new panel. They would need to be removed then re-added to the new panel after the backup and transfer process.

In the same thought, would I need to remove sensors from the old panel prior to learning them into the new one, or are sensors just transmit only devices (i.e. I put the new panel in learn, trigger a sensor, and new panel would see it)?

Wouldn’t need to remove RF sensors from the old panel prior to adding them to the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ panel if you did it manually.

Ultimately, the process to backup and restore look like this:

• Remove any Image Sensors from the Gen 1.
  • With the panel connected to service, request a backup of system settings. We will follow up when this has been done and it is safe to proceed.
  • Once new panel is obtained do not add any sensors to the new panel. It must be free of sensors and Z-wave devices for the transfer to work.
  • When ready to swap, send us a Private Message and include the new panel’s IMEI cellular module number. The process can begin during normal business hours. During this time, ensure that both panels are completely powered down. We will then follow up with further instructions.

Perfect, thanks much! I assume I request the panel backup through Surety, correct? So at present, no image sensors to worry about (only have 1 pan & tilt camera), so if I was to order the new panel today, I could go ahead and request the backup now since I won’t be making any sensor or setting changes to the old panel, then once the new panel gets here, have you start the transfer process? I ask as I was probably going to go ahead and order the panel now, so figured I’d knock out the first step at the same time. :slight_smile:

Yes, I have gone ahead and run the backup now. When ready to swap, just let us know!

1 Like

Will do. I’m ordering the panel as we speak.

Then there’s that moment when you realize it’s been so long since you added any z-wave devices that you’ve completely forgotten how to do that. Guess I have a little time to remind myself while the panel finishes updating. :blush:

How to set up Z-Wave covers how to remove then re-add a Z-Wave device then run a network rediscovery when you’re done.

The inclusion process will be different for each Z-wave device however.

Oh, that part I’m good with, it’s remembering how to put some of the devices back into inclusion mode that I’m forgetting. :slight_smile: Having to go dig up docs online to remind myself on those. (Like turning adc t-2000 to off then holding the down arrow)

Yeah. Most binary devices its just clicking the on/off button but some like the ADC T2000 its a bit more involved. Let us know if you run into any trouble