Preventing Qolsys IQ Smoke Detectors from setitng off siren/alarm

I purchased two Qolsys IQ Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors and would like to configure them so that if they go off, they would notify me via text and not set off the siren or notify central station. Is there a way to configure this? The Qolsys CO2 detector, that I would want to notify central station since that is much more dangerous for people sleeping.

I purchased two Qolsys IQ Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors and would like to configure them so that if they go off, they would notify me via text and not set off the siren or notify central station. Is there a way to configure this?

Hmm, I would not generally recommend this, as you cannot program them as smoke detectors and choose a non-response sensor group. Only sensor group 26 (smoke detector) is an option. This will result in both panel siren and the dispatch process if you have monitoring. The sensor group determines how the panel will react to the sensor activation.

I’ve not tried this, so I could not recommend doing so, but to possibly achieve what you are looking for you would need to try to incorrectly program the Smoke detectors as a different zone type, such as Door/Window, then select sensor group 25, which is a no-response type.

You would then create notifications in Alarm.com based on sensor activity and select that zone. If it works the zone would show up in Alarm.com as a Door/Window, and there will be no way to alter that, though you can rename it accordingly.

Ultimately in the event of a fire, seconds matter, and I would always recommend using the smoke detector as intended. If you do not wish for a specific zone(s) to ever result in dispatch, that may be able to be alternatively achieved by special instructions for your monitoring account (the siren would still react locally). If interested in that as an alternative, please reach out to our customer service team at customerservice@suretyDIY.com

Thanks Jason, I understand the liability concerns. The house already has 10 smoke detectors all hardwired. I just wanted to have the ability to have an IQ Smoke notify me remotely of a smoke condition basically trying to use it a “cheaper NEST.”

The customer service piece is also interesting, I’ll check with them as well.