POWERG compatibility with QOLSYS?

I read a press release that QOLSYS is coming out with a panel that will be POWERG compatible. That seems pretty cool. Supposedly coming out this summer. Anybody hear any updates or know if there will be a plug-in for existing IQ 2 panels?

There will be new IQ Panel 2 panels released later this year which support PowerG sensors. According to the manufacturer there are no current plans to make this available to existing IQ Panel 2s. This may mean that it requires additional hardware changes over just a daughtercard install.

Other reference to this can be found here.

This article makes it sound like a daughter card will be available for existing IQ2 panels (read last sentence of the article).

https://qolsys.com/isc-west-2018-qolsys-review/

Yes, the technical service bulletin regarding the firmware which supports it alludes to PowerG daughtercards being available for existing panels, but that is not yet the case.

From what I can gather they are continuing to test and tweak the software for existing panels to function properly with the daughtercard. They are testing the PowerG adoption it seems with just new panels. New hardware panels will not have the same issue and versions will be sold with the card already installed.

So the daughtercard will probably be available in the future for existing panels, but I couldn’t say definitively nor do we have an ETA currently.

Thank you for clarifying Jason. Sounds promising.

Did they ever release a daughter card ?
If not can the new power g and legacy 319.5 still have a image sensor daughter board installed ??
TIA

No daughter card for PowerG has been released separately. Initially that looked to be the case but that has not come to fruition.

The IQ Panel 2+ does not have a slot for an Image Sensor card. It has a radio for PowerG and one for RF sensors (depending on the model of IQP2+ chosen)

Do you think I could put the image sensor card in, along with an antenna? Do you think they will interfere with each other?
I have a panel I can pillage from.
TIA

The panel is not designed to accommodate both Image Sensor card and Power G card. Adding hardware that is not expected can exceed power capabilities, cause interference, and/or cause other unexpected problems. The IQ Panel 2+ supports Power G but not Image Sensors at this time.

Just to follow up here, I have finally had some free time to test.
I was able to put the image card in a IQ 2+ and have it function fine.
Well I did not permanently move the IS sensor antenna from the other panel. I piggy backed it (see photo).
Of note, also, I do not have any power G sensors, but I’m sure it would be fine. I may get 1 as I have a motion sensor in the garage that is far and flakes out its connection from time to time.
Next up I spied the usb header on the board and will see what that may yield.
The main reason they don’t co-exist is the Power G card uses the same antenna as the IS daughter card.

2 Likes

Thanks for testing and following up! That does sound promising.

I would just caution that since it is not officially supported on the IQ Panel 2+, future software may or may not break certain features or compatibility with Image Sensors. It’s hard to say what would definitely happen, and they may reverse course and officially support them both, but since Power G has Image Motion detector options I would generally recommend going the manufacturer’s supported route at the moment.