Possibly bricked 2GIG GC2 panel

Don’t see my original post so sorry if this is a repost…

Any help would be appreciated. I inherited a 2GIG GC2 panel, TS1, and numerous sensors from my folks. I also just bought a Schlage lock to hook up to it. I decided to update the firmware because it was at least a few years old and the alarm provider my parents used refused to update the firmware without a truck roll and charge (even though they had service over three years and I still pay them now). I definitely want to switch to SuretyDIY.

I thought I could be technical and cheat the firmware cable by getting this $7 cable instead of dropping $35 on the overpriced firmware update cable + shipping. Good news: the cable was actually working. Bad news: I had to hold the connectors directly to the J4 pins by hand and while it was just beginning the flashing screen I was trying to plug the battery and power back in as in the instructions, well the usb cable moved and became disconnected a moment. %&*^$#!!!

Now I have a panel that doesn’t appear to boot at all. I can’t get the firmware update software to show the “Are you sure you want to flash this panel…” dialog again. Not sure if I have a bricked device or I read some people saying if that dialog won’t come up again it is a bug and may have to try a different PC. Well I don’t have too many PCs lying around. I have the TS1 to maybe test the PC but now I am scared to brick that too.

Any ideas? I’d rather not lose the configuration. Is there a soft reset without being able to get into the toolbox (since the panel won’t turn on)? I found some hard reset instructions but they are pretty vague and didn’t seem to work (hold both home and services button and apply power to the panel). I can’t find any more troubleshooting instructions on the web without being a “dealer”. Any chance of getting this thing back from the dead?

On a separate note: If this doesn’t work, any panels out there that work better for smart homes and don’t require alarm.com, with possible cheap pro monitoring? I like some of the new stuff out there; Abode, ScoutAlarm, but they don’t have panels and we want to have cleaners, babysitters, etc be able to disarm with a scheduled code (but maybe integrate with IFTTT/Wink/SmartThings/Nest/Arlo too) and not be forced to use a smart phone for less technical users (grandparents).

Any ideas? I’d rather not lose the configuration. Is there a soft reset without being able to get into the toolbox (since the panel won’t turn on)? I found some hard reset instructions but they are pretty vague and didn’t seem to work (hold both home and services button and apply power to the panel). I can’t find any more troubleshooting instructions on the web without being a “dealer”. Any chance of getting this thing back from the dead?

That would be the reset procedure for a 2GIG Go!Control Panel. See video here. If you have a panel which does not respond to the update software and no longer boots up, unfortunately it is almost certainly bricked.

The most important thing I would bring up, for other readers as well, is that you should never try to use an alternate cable. Bricking the panel is extremely likely if you do. A bricked panel is unrecoverable. Always use the 2GIG Update Cable.

If this doesn’t work, any panels out there that work better for smart homes and don’t require alarm.com, with possible cheap pro monitoring?

We are exclusively an Alarm.com services dealer. We do not currently monitor non-Alarm.com systems.

I like some of the new stuff out there; Abode, ScoutAlarm, but they don’t have panels and we want to have cleaners, babysitters, etc be able to disarm with a scheduled code (but maybe integrate with IFTTT/Wink/SmartThings/Nest/Arlo too) and not be forced to use a smart phone for less technical users (grandparents).

Alarm.com is probably your best bet for a mix of traditional alarm system capabilities and smarthome tech. A 2GIG panel with 345 mhz sensors for example will require much less maintenance and user involvement than a network of Z-wave sensors.

I would ultimately not recommend trying on the TS1, as it will likely result in a bricked TS1. Replacement Go!Control Panels can be found new and used. We only sell new equipment, and you can find the panel here.