Placement of PIRs and glass break detectors

Yes, you can upgrade/downgrade at any time.

Hi all,

I am finally getting the PIRs installed and have revised my floorplan. If anyone wouldn’t mind taking a look and letting me know if it seems that this layout is effective and secure, I would really appreciate it. If there is anything you would change, please let me know.

Thanks!

You cant face the pir’s at windows/glass doors. They will activate and false all the time.

The way a PIR works is it takes a “snapshot image” of the infared light that its lense sees. If that “image” changes at all, the motion detector activates. If light in the windows/glass doors or light coming through, or around blinds/curtains changes…the PIR motion “image” will change and alarm will activate.

Good luck with that.

Hi Rive,

Thank you for the info, that makes sense. I think my (incorrect) thinking was that the motions should cover all points of entrance.

Given that, would you suggest I go back to the original layout?

Thanks!
-David

For what it’s worth, we frequently install PIRs facing doors and windows without having much trouble with false alarms. The gradual heat change that occurs from sunlight generally isn’t abrupt enough to trigger false alarms.

@Jay

That is surprising. The 2GIG-PIR1 PDF , clearly warns about installations like that, and the increased likelihood of false alarms.

http://2gig.com/pdf/product-info/2GIG-PIR1-345_ii%20online.pdf

In my installation I have a PIR that has a blinded bedroom window in its lense. On more than one occasion in the past sunlight has caused a false alarm. Unfortunately, the PIR is in the optimal placement. I compensate for it now though by almost fully closing the bedroom door when away so the lense can’t see the window.

Third Flr PIR1 lense “view” (cloudy and overcast)

Intentially facing a PIR so the lenses sees a window/glass is a very bad idea, and should be avoided when possible, otherwise expect false alarms, police visits and fines.

Thank you, Jay and Rive.

Mounting the sensors at 7.5 feet has them about 4" below the ceiling. Should I move the sensor up to around 8’ so that it sits in the corner, or am I better off with them at exactly 7.5 feet? Not sure if the extra 5-6" has any appreciable effect on the sensor.

Thanks!
-David

Mount 7.5 for optimal lense coverage (make sure lense is at 7.5, not bottom of plastic casing)

Also, for better range/coverage, set jumper to “High”

The 5’ (or so) directly in front of PIR is a dead zone, that the lense cannot see. The higher it is, the bigger the dead zone

Following installation and programming of PIR(s) be sure to test them.

See: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/13-How-to-Install-and-walktest-pir-motions-(2GIG-PIR1)-and-image-sensors-(2GIG-IMAGE1)

Hi Rive,

I installed the upstairs PIR - I actually placed it in the corner instead of between the 2 doors. Just wanted to get your take on that - does placement seem OK?

First picture is the PIR placement, second picture is approximately what that PIR should see.

Leave it where it is? Or move it to the middle of the wall?

Thanks!

-David

I would test it.

Go into walk test, wait three minutes and go up stairs, if it doesn’t see you soon as you step onto landing then move it