PG9984P Motion and Green/Red LED Status Lights

What do the green and red LEDs on the PG9984P motion sensor represent under normal usage (not immediately after tamper where the green indicates signal strength)?

Since both the PIR and microwave sensors need to trip, my assumption is that the green may indicate the microwave sensor triggering (since it always lights first and from farther away) and the red is the PIR sensor triggering (motion is always and only reported after the red LED light comes on).

There’s an LED Operation chart in the manual, but it doesn’t even mention the green LED.

The Red LED lights for 2 seconds when an alarm is tripped under normal usage, and this just means when the PG9984P sends an activation event to the panel. The panel will treat it as an alarm if it is armed appropriately. This is stated in the manual.

The green activity LED is not explicitly referenced for normal usage in the manual, but I believe what you are seeing is a result of the “true motion” detection event counter setting. It needs to register two detection events in succession to trigger a signal, so I would expect green to be the first event, red the confirmed alarm within a couple seconds after the first.

Thanks, Jason. It’s interesting testing this double sensor and seeing what it takes to trigger. Seems like I can watch that LED light up green and immediately stop, then slowly keep moving and sometimes get by without it triggering. Tempted to cover the LEDs with electrical tape, but the reality is if someone gets past the door, window and glass breaks, they’re getting past the motions too.

If desired, the detection event counter can be edited in settings for the sensor to only require one activation.

You can also disable the activation LED in settings.

That’s fantastic! I completely missed those options by not scrolling down. Think I’ll keep the event counter at two, since that’s the whole point of this sensor model, but the LED light setting is something I might change.

Thanks!

Is there a good rule-of-thumb for the event counter usage?
Example: When is it a good idea to trip for 1 event vs 2 events.

1 Event if you want the sensor to trigger the alarm at the first sign of motion. This is how most motion sensors work by default

2 Event if you want 2 instances of motion before it triggers the alarm. This is typically used when installed in an area that is prone to false triggers, using 2 Event can cut down on these false events.