PG9312 sensor problems

Trying to get it to work with IQ4 panel.

Several things are unclear. Does the aux input work as a second switch, or if connected, as the only switch overriding the magnetic switch? Do you enroll the magnetic and aux switches separately, or just 1 device gets enrolled and it sends a trip signal when either switch gets tripped?

So I can’t get it to work correctly. It gets enrolled, and there are some type options - reed switch, aux nc, aux no, etc (see picture). Reading their literature, i think the reed switch refers to the main magnetic sensor. So do I only get to pick one? Can I enroll twice and select a different option?

All that is moot though, as it doesn’t really work. The tamper signal gets transmitted quite well, but the switches don’t seem to operate or send a signal. The panel always reads the zone as “closed”. The “local diagnostic test” in the PG9312 to test signal strength comes back “poor” (even though the tamper signal works great).

I have read the other posts: My height is about 6.5ft, and the distance to the IQ4 is about 60ft thru 1 wall, no real metal in the path, although the garage rollup door is right behind the sensor, opposite way from the panel. There should not be an issue with poor signal. Or is this a new problem with the IQ4? Or is my sensor bad? (but the tamper signal always gets through…)

Here’s the panel signal strength log. So how did I manage to get strong signal without touching the sensor?..

Can I enroll twice and select a different option?

You would learn that in again, typing in the ID and selecting the appropriate function (aux open or closed, typically most sensors are normally closed). Reed Switch is the internal switch opened and closed by the magnet.

I have read the other posts: My height is about 6.5ft, and the distance to the IQ4 is about 60ft thru 1 wall, no real metal in the path, although the garage rollup door is right behind the sensor, opposite way from the panel. There should not be an issue with poor signal. Or is this a new problem with the IQ4? Or is my sensor bad?

Is this sensor mounted on the garage door or right next to it?

Remove all else from the equation and take that sensor closer to the panel and away from the intended mounting location. Test it for a bit, does the signal improve and does it report open normally?

PowerG has adaptive battery power, so the signal may fluctuate a bit shortly after learning in the device.

OK, did some experimenting.
Tried new batteries, no help.
Pulled the sensor off the mount and positioned it everywhere. I have come to the following conclusions.
PowerG is crap.

Any metal behind the sensor - poor signal
In the very corner in front of a 6x6 metal junction box - poor signal. 6" away from the box, good signal.
Any large amounts of metal anywhere near the sensor - poor signal.
On my car’s hood - poor signal. 12" above the hood sitting on a cardboard box - good signal.
Strangely, with the water heater in front of it, no problem. go figure.

So using it in the garage to monitor the doors is HOPELESS with the piss poor signal of PowerG seeing how there will be cars (metal) in the way. Actually the sensor is above the cars, but close enough to metal to have no signal.

So either this sensor is really low powered, defective, poor frequency choice for transmission, or the IQ4 panel is terrible for powerG reception. Don’t know which.

I understand that the desired location is not working and that is frustrating. Metal will affect any RF signal. Attenuation from metal is a common issue and every location is different with all the materials causing attenuation.

PowerG has about 4 times the natural range of other sensors like 319.5Mhz, 345Mhz, etc. However, metal attenuation does not discriminate.

Generally sensors in the garage are ok, but placing them right on metal or right next to it, within a couple inches, will affect signaling.

With that model, a resolution would be to use the aux wired input on that PG9312 instead, with a wired door contact. That should allow you to position the PG9312 away from the metal causing the issue.

Additionally, keep in mind that PowerG has adaptive battery power, and true signaling for the device may not be known until it is remains in a location for a little while.

So, such flaky behavior is typical for PowerG sensors, and I do not have a defective one? I stand by my earlier comment then.

Yes, running wires and positioning the “wireless” sensor 25ft closer and above the cars may likely work. Or running the wires a little longer directly into my Hardwire16 (if i had a free zone) would also work, minus this sensor…

OK, nowhere in the garage works. Nowhere in the attic above the garage works. Best I can get is a POOR signal. So I give up.

How do I return this sensor?

That sensor may indeed have a defective antenna or be transmitting at lower power. If you would like to return, send us a private message here with the part and SN off of that device.

Let us know if you would like to just return it for refund or warranty replacement, looks like it is probably within the normal return window.

OK. So I got the “new” sensor. I have to say generically, that PowerG is still not good. I would never recommend it. That said, I CAN get a GOOD signal next to my garage doors. Not where I want the sensor to mount with the mating magnet of course (12" away is a no signal)- hence the cannot recommend PowerG sensors to anyone. But that problem is now solved-ish.

Next problem.
Sensor enrolls fine. Tamper works fine. Tamper report happens within a second or two - as expected. All happy.
BUT, the sensor STATE is not sensed by the panel.
Nothing
Not when set to reed sensor
Not when set to aux N/C
Not when set to aux N/O
Not when set to EOL

Not happy. What to try now?

Please elevate this issue with Qolsys. Since the sensor tamper is recognized, there is no signal strength issue. The panel should recognize the state change but does not. This is the SAME as the first sensor we tried, so it is not just 1 bad sensor.
PG9312

Happy to reach out to them again and escalate, yes. So that I can best show them the issue, can you provide a photo of the sensor installed right now and how it is being used? They will likely ask.

What wired contact do you have connected to it? (looks like you have it set for Aux N/C right now)

I’ll have them test and confirm functionality. One more thing to verify, can you provide a photo of the sensor box with the serial sticker/bar code? In case there are compatibility concerns found.

I can provide a photo of the install, but it is irrelevant. The sensor does not do anything when positioned 2 feet away from the panel, and:
-Magnet placed right next to sensor and removed does not trigger panel in any sensor mode
-6" of wire attached to the internal contacts and tamper cover closed does not trigger any panel response when the wires are shorted and opened in any panel sensor mode (aux n/c , aux n/o, reed, EOL), and with a 3K resistor added in series to the 6" of wire, no response from the panel in EOL mode with the wires shorted or opened.

Thank you, I’ll send this info and image to Qolsys and see if they have recommendations or if they can replicate.

Just confirming that I am awaiting response from Qolsys. This seems more likely a failure of the actual panel PowerG radio.

You don’t have any other PowerG sensors to test do you? I don’t see any in your device list.

No other devices. But I would have suspected the PowerG card IF there was no response at all - but the tamper works flawlessly, on both sensors I had/have. Its just the sensor state that is not be decoded by the panel (or not being sent by the sensor?)…
If the tamper and the sensor state are sent on different frequencies, then I could see a hardware issue with the card, maybe.