PG8WLSHW8 takeover trouble code woes on IQ4

So I eventually replaced my older PG8WLSHW8 v1.1 with a v1.2 takeover so I could finally add an HSM2108 extender Corbus module for several extra NC hardwires. Haven’t got those extra zones defined just yet in my IQ4 but so far at least the extender seems to have registered with the main expander just fine this time.

But what surprised and disappointed me was the new takeover was also throwing a green/yellow flashing trouble light just like my old one did. To which I caught mention in this forum of the Bell needing a 1Kohm resistor jumper if no siren wired (neither the older or newer takeover box came with a 1Kohm so seems rather brilliant for DSC to ship a product that should immediately enter trouble state on first power up - but I digress ). Jumped Bell(+) and Bell(-) with a 1Kohm and still trouble. Thought, well, I’ll just add a Honeycomb WAVE2 as recommended here right above the takeover in the closet - still trouble AND the siren is howling as soon as I power the takeover on battery or wall power :frowning:

This seems like a silly question - But should not Bell(-) be connected to the GND of the WAVE2 and Bell(+) to either Input#1 (solid tone) or Input#2 (warble)? My VOM says 12V across Bell no matter what is connected (or not) which seems odd. And if I add the 1Kohm (1/4 watt) back in parallel to the WAVE-2 it also gets warm to the touch.

Did I get a bad takeover or a bad WAVE-2 or did I somehow wire this all wrong?

Any way to tell from either my IQ4 or from ADC what the trouble CODE is so I know what I am supposed to chasing here?

So that we can best assist and look into status in ADC, can you confirm the zone name that corresponds to this new translator?

Testing on an unenrolled unit here by just wiring the power input, I get voltage across bell + and -, so I don’t think you are seeing anything unusual for the unit, but the 1kohm resistor is required.

And if I add the 1Kohm (1/4 watt) back in parallel to the WAVE-2 it also gets warm to the touch.

The resistor gets warm? Or the Wave2 gets warm?

“Hardwire Takeover” is the label per ADC

The resistor is always quite warm no matter if alone or the WAVE-2 is also wired in parallel across Bell +/-

So any idea why this WAVE-2 is immediately asserting the siren as soon as I power it up the takeover? Just a bad siren out of the sealed box that I need to re-order?

To clarify, how many Hardwire Translators are programmed into the panel?

The Zone 2 device labelled Hardwire Takeover is reporting bell trouble. Can you submit a clear photo of the bell circuit wiring and resistor in reply?

One translator/takeover (ADC #2: “Hardwire Takeover” with an HSM2108 expander via Corbus (ADC #20: Hardwire Takeover Expander")

1Kohm resistor across Bell - and +. Parallel orange and green wires to the WAVE-2 (but disconnected given my other issue of siren assertion as soon as they are connected and takeover powered)

Wiring appears to be correct, and the correct resistor is in place. Curious, what voltage do you get across the bell terminals with just the resistor and no siren wired to it?

In this case, you’ll need to delete the Takeover from panel programming, Master Reset the takeover, then re-enroll.

Once it is deleted, press the enroll button on the Takeover for 15 seconds (make sure to not be in Auto-Learn mode) once reset, re-program and test

Deleted, master reset, re-enrolled, and reprogrammed all zones last night. IQ4 itself immediately reports Takeover = Trouble (as before) but ADC did not report any “Hardwire Takeover” Malfunction state or Bell Circuit trouble.

Had to wait until family gone today to reattach the WAVE-2 on Input2 (warble). Siren still asserts immediately and persistently. Now ADC reports both takeover malfunction AND bell trouble even after panel reboot.

12.4VDC regardless wired or not (and resistor always there).

So does ADC have the same “Hardwire Takeover” malfunction code as before? If we have a bad WAVE-2 then why is 12V always across Bell +/-? Or do I have a bad PG8WLSHW8?

So does ADC have the same “Hardwire Takeover” malfunction code as before?

yes it is the same as before.

We have reached out to Qolsys for additional information regarding this issue but have yet to hear back from them. At this point in the day, we do not expect to hear from them until the next business day. We will follow up as soon as we have additional information.

Apologies for the delay here, still waiting on some more information from Qolsys.

In the meantime, can you submit the manufacturing date and S/N of the unit? it can be on the box on the label itself and on Translator label.

To clarify, the bell output should not be showing 12V without the siren connected (and the panel in alarm). In this case the unit should be replaced.

We can get a ticket ID for you to give to the distributor you purchased the unit from. We would need the SN and the date code. You can submit an image to us via Private Message or email us at support@suretyhome.com.