Panic Button for Qolsys IQ

Oh ok gotcha - I was referring to the Magnet in the panic button NOT the sensor magnet, but see what you are saying. I just deleted/enrolled new via just the 2 panic buttons, then testing with the magnet as you suggested DID trigger a panic alarm. Since I do not have the magnet mounted next to the sensor as there is nothing to open/close with it, do I need to do so in order to stop this behavior? With the magnet mounted to remain closed, will it still support the 2 hardwired zones as well?

With the magnet mounted to remain closed, will it still support the 2 hardwired zones as well?

Yes. Go ahead and mount the magnet (may even want to tape it onto the sensor) and test the panics. Does that resolve the issue for you?

Will do that now and let you know what happens. Fingers Crossed and thanks for all the advice.

Jason - that didn’t work… I taped the magnet to the side (did it in test mode to make sure it was registering that reed as closed, which it did). However the alarm has just triggered again, despite the magnet being fixed to the sensor. Interestingly this time the alarm only triggered the once - against the panic with the 2nd ID (ie. not the one also linked to the reed switch). Not sure if this is coincidence on timing or something else?

I just had a thought… When I re-enrolled I didn’t have the magnet attached, but added it after, so the status will now be different to the original enrollment… Not sure if that makes a difference but will delete and enroll again to see…

So you have two physical buttons wired to one RE101? Pop open the RE101 and give a tug on each individual wire to make sure all is tight and secure.

This is curious, and may be something simple, we’ll need to try to recreate what you are seeing. It may be something related to how Qolsys handles multifunction zones.

Can you try just using the first zone? Delete the extra hardwire zone and test for a bit. Does the first function normally without error?

This may actually require two RE101s when programmed as a panic.

Yes I have 2 buttons, each connected with wire, one to each ID of the RE101. I had to remove the magnet on the reed switch as with that attached, triggering the panic on the same ID did nothing - assuming because the reed was in place.

I can test as you suggest to see if one by itself works ok. Will do this over the weekend and see what happens and report back! I wondered if choosing a different sensor type other than auxiliary pendant would make a difference, but we could always look at that next!

Thanks again - will update as soon as I can.

Hi Jason,

I removed the sensor and then re-enrolled just a single zone to test this - it had the same issue and an alarm triggered about 80 mins after enrollment.

During initial testing of this unit and the panic buttons, I had them configured on the panel as a local safety sensor, which would trigger a voice alert on the panel when a button was pressed. They remained configured in this state and operational for 2-3 weeks before I installed them properly and changed them to Panic Alarms. During this time they never once setoff an alert…

Do you think it is the RE101? I am considering whether the Qolsys IQ Mini DW Extended would be a better option as this allows for a single hardwired zone? I know I would need 2 but I don’t trust the RE101 now in this configuration… Do you have any other alternatives you would suggest for hardwiring that should work? Just for information the security cable from the RE101 is about 3ft long to each of the panic buttons - which I am assuming is ok/shouldn’t be an issue - but wanted to put it out there.

Thanks
Richard

They remained configured in this state and operational for 2-3 weeks before I installed them properly and changed them to Panic Alarms. During this time they never once setoff an alert

I’m going to double check with the manufacturer today and see if this is a result of how they handle that zone type.

Cable distance shouldn’t be an issue in any way.

Thank you.

Alright, I’ve spoken with some techs at Qolsys and testing looks like this is going to be the case due to how the zone programming and supervision works on the Qolsys panel. Other users have tried to work around it without success, and the same alarms at supervisory intervals.

Switching to a different transmitter will not make a difference in this case. Also I’ve been told that the wired inputs in the panel terminal block cannot be set up as a panic button, only Door/window, Glass break, or motion.

Unfortunately that means a wireless must be used. That means in this circumstance with the Qolsys panel you’d need to go with one of the original suggestions of the GE 60-578-10-95, RE103, etc.

Damn it! Oh well it was worth a try - thanks for all your help Jason, I will look at one of the ones designed for/compatible with the system.

Hey Jason - I am going to get a couple of the GE 60-578-10-95 (NX475) units but one piece of info I cannot find anywhere. Will the battery life be monitored by the Qolsys panel and report when it is getting low? The GE info says battery will last at least 12 months but unlike the other pendant/panic’s it doesn’t say anything about reporting low battery or supervision… Thoughts?

Thanks
Richard

Yes, the 60-578-10-95 can be supervised. It can be found in this spec sheet. Yes, you should receive low battery notice. On Alarm.com you can also configure low battery alerts in your notifications tab.

Great - thank you again for all your help, you guys are awesome!