Panel replacement plan

I know we covered some of this in the other threads I’ve been posting in, but I wanted to start a separate specific thread for the process to replace/upgrade one panel with another.

I have the original Qolsys panel that died an untimely death. I have Gold automation with central station monitoring and a small bundle of extra image sensor uploads added.

I have a variety of questions surrounding the proper way to setup/enroll the existing sensors into the new panel. I need to ensure that whatever I have set up in Alarm.com can either be transferred or if need be, completely reset so that I don’t end up with weird artifacts like ghost notifications, odd behaviors and schedules etc. I’ve had issues in the past with geo fencing, automated thermostat rules and schedules, image sensor motion set up and the like.

I guess I’m really looking for a customized step by step plan to do what I need to do. You guys know what devices I have, the automation that’s running etc.

What can I provide you to help you help me? I’m a little daunted by the premise of this swap since I originally purchased everything from you and had it programmed there prior to delivery when it was first installed.

The system consists of:

1. IQ panel (new IQ panel 2+ coming)
  2. A slew of resolution door and window sensors including a tilt on the garage overhead door.
  3. Firefighter smoke detector sensor slaved to the built-in smoke detector system
  4. Image sensors (original model, not power G)
  5. A couple of glass breaks
  6. Multiple ADC T-2000 thermostats with smart away rules and schedules
  7. A variety of z-wave light switches
  8. Some z-wave deadbolts
  9. Central station with 2-way voice
  10. Several IOS devices running the latest ADC app
  11. A ton of automation rules for arm/disarm actions
  12. Geofence based actions
  13. Several scenes set up
  14. NEW Skybell slim doorbell coming with the new panel

I know that the image sensors will become useless and need to be replaced either with standard motions or with the new DSC power-G image sensors. How do I delete those?

I’m going to have to change some of my subscriptions, supplementing the existing plan with the doorbell video option. I’ll probably do away with the extra image sensor events subscription until I either buy the new image sensors or replace them with some video stuff.

Outdoor HD cams are on the short list now too, so that will happen in phase two of this deal after I get the basic system back up and running again.

I’m aware it’s going to be a ton of work, I’m just looking for some sort of a game plan along with critical must-dos, order of execution etc. so I don’t end up with a gigantic mess on my hands.

Happy to help!

I need to ensure that whatever I have set up in Alarm.com can either be transferred or if need be, completely reset so that I don’t end up with weird artifacts like ghost notifications, odd behaviors and schedules etc.

Existing rules would not transfer. You will have an entirely new instance of all the devices being learned into ADC.

If you would like, to ensure you are starting fresh you could delete all rules and schedules in the account currently before hand. Go to Automation page and trash all added rules. Likewise go to Notifications, take a screenshot of the rule list to remind you of what to set up, then you can delete the notifications you have customized.

The Geofence devices wouldn’t be affected themselves unless you changed phones, but the associated rules would need remade.

I know that the image sensors will become useless and need to be replaced either with standard motions or with the new DSC power-G image sensors. How do I delete those?

You don’t need to. Once the new panel connects to Alarm.com, all devices from the prior panel will be removed from the account and only the devices currently learned into the new panel will show up. Thermostat schedules will be erased etc.

You can learn the devices into the new panel before or after connecting it to service, that order doesn’t matter. It may be easiest though to connect the panel to service without any devices learned in, then add them one by one.

I’m going to have to change some of my subscriptions, supplementing the existing plan with the doorbell video option. I’ll probably do away with the extra image sensor events subscription until I either buy the new image sensors or replace them with some video stuff.

You can add doorbell camera access via your system manager in the account dashboard.

Yes, any image sensor related add-ons would not be useful unless you had Power G Image Cams. Would you like us to go ahead and remove those add-ons now?

I guess I’m really looking for a customized step by step plan to do what I need to do. You guys know what devices I have, the automation that’s running etc.

I know it can be daunting, and we are happy to help.

1. If you are concerned about rules etc., and making sure you re-create the ones you want, I would take a couple screenshots of the rules and schedules list, just to have an idea of what all rules you've been using. Also for notifications as above
  2. Log into the Alarm.com website and go to Settings > Devices > Devices and you can grab a screenshot of all the sensors and sensor names you are using currently. This can help when programming.
  3. Program each security sensor into the alarm panel. This is found under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Security Sensors > Auto Learn Sensor. You can then trip sensors one by one to learn them in. Sensor group options are described in detail here. However, in general doors will be sensor group 10, windows and glass breaks will be sensor group 13, motions will be sensor group 17 and the tilt sensor should typically be set as a non-alarm type group 25.
  4. Each Z-wave device will need to be cleared then added, one by one. Under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Z-wave Devices, select Clear Device and activate the learn action of the Z-wave device (for switches that is typically just toggling the switch or double tapping, depends on the model.) After the Clear Device has been run successfully for a device, you can then do Add Device and perform the learn in action again. Do this for each Z-wave device. Locks and thermostats will need to be learned in within 10 feet of the panel. The panel can be brought to them.
  5. The MyQ garage will be unaffected, but rules or notifications related to it would need remade
  6. Once all of your devices are set up in the panel and showing in your Alarm.com account, you can start recreating rules and notifications. This should be pretty quick if you have a screenshot of what you were using.
  7. Likewise scenes should be set up once everything is learned back in and showing in ADC, I would set them up last
  8. Setup of the new doorbell camera is performed in the Alarm.com App. Login to the app and access the Doorbell Camera section in the menu, it will walk you through it.

Central Station forwarding and 2way are not dependent on panel programming and are controlled by your dealer through ADC. Those would not change.

You don’t need to delete and re-download the app or anything. Any non-panel related setup like Alarm.com logins would be unaffected.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for writing that recipe out for me. Exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, you can go ahead and remove the image sensor add-on subscription from the account now.

If I think of anything else, I’ll ask but for now I’m just waiting for ice-bound UPS to deliver my package :slight_smile:

Just FYI, the new panel and doorbell were delivered today. I’ll tackle this project over the weekend; wish me luck!

Just a few quick questions I just thought of:

1. Are the Resolution sensors I already have S-line or similarly encrypted? I remember reading something about that years ago when I was first deciding on IQ vs 2Gig.

2. Will the existing user access codes come down to the new panel once it phones home to ADC? I don’t recall programming users into the panel previously, just from the ADC website.

I like the new lawn signs and stickers :slight_smile: They look great. Guess I’ll have to swap those out too.

I like the new lawn signs and stickers ???? They look great. Guess I’ll have to swap those out too.

Thank you! There are a lot of upgrades planned over the course of this year, with updates to the website incoming. We’re glad to hear you like the new signs!

Are the Resolution sensors I already have S-line or similarly encrypted? I remember reading something about that years ago when I was first deciding on IQ vs 2Gig.

No, but they are still compatible with the IQ Panel 2+. Legacy 319.5 sensors are not encrypted.

Will the existing user access codes come down to the new panel once it phones home to ADC? I don’t recall programming users into the panel previously, just from the ADC website.

No, the new panel will sync with ADC and I think since we cannot do a panel backup and restore the new panel will overwrite what is in ADC. You can then re-add. Double check all the codes in ADC before making the switch.

Note that we will need to change the Alarm.com module ID on your account before the new panel can communicate. Would you like us to go ahead and do that now? (since the old one is not communicating already)

Note that we will need to change the Alarm.com module ID on your account before the new panel can communicate. Would you like us to go ahead and do that now? (since the old one is not communicating already)

As long as that doesn’t wipe out the existing stuff yet, sure. If I understood correctly, I could take screenshots and copy existing stuff until the new panel “phones home.” Is that right? If replacing the module on the account does the same thing (wipes stuff out) then let me get screenshots first and have you do that on Friday so I can set up over the weekend.

Is that right? If replacing the module on the account does the same thing (wipes stuff out) then let me get screenshots first and have you do that on Friday so I can set up over the weekend.

No problem, yeah just submit a secure message on Friday to have us swap the numbers.

OK, I’ll do that Friday morning so you can get it done before the weekend.

@Jason message sent just now.

Also, please don’t forget to remove the additional image sensor event subscription since I no longer need that until I get new sensors in place.

Also, please don’t forget to remove the additional image sensor event subscription since I no longer need that until I get new sensors in place.

I’ve noted on your account that the Image Sensor add-ons should be removed. Customer service will confirm via email.

Thanks! I added the doorbell video subscription on my own but didn’t see a way to remove any of the existing items.

I got the email confirmation from customer service so looks like I’m good to go for the weekend. I’m sure you’ll hear from me on Monday :wink:

So a quick update: Looks like I got everything back online over the weekend and have probably restored all the rules and notifications that matter. I had remarkably few challenges other than physically touching every single sensor and then the Z-wave gymnastics. I had one Z-wave light switch go bad on me for some reason so had to run get a replacement for that on Sunday but otherwise everything went well. Thanks again for the help to get this all prepped.

I ran into a snag with the doorbell, and that was a physical issue with the way the contractors finished the stucco around and behind the existing doorbell so the form factor of the slim unit won’t work at all. I need to return that and I’ll go find the round version of it instead. Is it just fill out the RMA form located on the site and ship it back for a refund?

J.P.

I need to return that and I’ll go find the round version of it instead. Is it just fill out the RMA form located on the site and ship it back for a refund?

Yes, please include the original packaging and all included Doorbell parts in the return, along with the RMA sheet. We have a 30 day return policy on all items.

Yeah no problem. The only part of it that was even out of the box was the mounting plate and I soon figured out it wasn’t going to work on either of my doorbells. What a pita.

Anyway, I’ll get that on the way back to you this week.