Old 2GIG system to Qolsys

I hooked up the old 2GIG panel again and tested everything. The shed sensor was functional, so it might be a range issue since the RE208 is closer than the IQ panel. I could replace the sensor or the batteries.

However, the window sensors in the main house that weren’t being picked up by the IQ panel aren’t working with the 2GIG panel. I thought that they were functional before but I might be mistaken. They seem to have the wired recessed sensors, so what are my options for getting them functional again? Is it worth the hassle or should I just replace them with new wireless sensors?

They seem to have the wired recessed sensors, so what are my options for getting them functional again? Is it worth the hassle or should I just replace them with new wireless sensors?

If the sensors do not open you would need to investigate the wiring and sensors. Proper troubleshooting will require a multimeter to test resistance on the circuits running to the RE208.

I’m not seeing any obvious wiring issues in the images you have supplied, but the circuits may be shorted or mismatched. The only way to tell is to test the non-functional zones. To do so you would remove one pair of wires from the RE208 and connect them to the leads of the multimeter. Open the sensors on that circuit one by one, what does the multimeter read when closed and when open?

If you do not feel confident testing the wiring it may be better to replace with wireless, depending on how many sensors you are looking at that do not work. If there are a large number it may make more sense to spend some time troubleshooting.

Okay, I may decide to troubleshoot the wiring. In your opinion, do you think the hardwired sensors will be more secure/reliable than wireless sensors if I decide to go that route? Since they’re being converted to a wireless signal I’m not sure if there would be an appreciable difference in the functionality.

do you think the hardwired sensors will be more secure/reliable than wireless sensors if I decide to go that route?

No, not really. As you point out they are ultimately being turned into wireless signals, and in this particular case there is uncertainty on which sensors work properly and where problems might lie.