Odd notifications

Yep. You will want to:

Bring panel near thermostat.
Remove thermostat from network.
(Removing batteries shouldn’t be necessary, but may as well be sure) Remove batteries
Verify thermostat is powered on AC
Add thermostat to panel
(repeat with any other thermostats)
Put devices back in their permanent location with batteries.
Run Network Rediscovery (don’t skip this)

Thanks Jason.

Just FYI, I relocated the panel to its permanent home on the wall yesterday and of course ran the network rediscovery when that was done. Can you verify, just for fun, that they’re still reporting on battery?

Also, is there any way for me to verify that on my own?

-J.P.

Yes, they are.

There is nowhere on the web portal to view that status, unfortunately. I’ll add that to the list of suggestions.

OK, thanks for checking. I’ll mess with them later and see if I can get them to stop being brain dead. That must be why my notifications and also thermostat status in the mobile app are wonky sometimes; they’re just not updating real time due to the battery mode. I don’t recall seeing anything specifically about this in the ADC T2000 manual…sounds like they need to edit that.

Keep in mind in general with a Zwave network that the more AC powered devices the stronger the network. That is not to say you can’t just use a couple thermostats, but if signalling becomes an issue due to distance or construction, a couple repeaters may be necessary.

Technically the thermostats are AC powered but I know what you’re saying. I’ve got z-wave light switches that also fill the powered repeater role and will be adding more soon.

Jason, this morning I deleted, reset to factory settings and then re-added the two existing ADC thermostats to my network. When they were re-added there were no batteries in them so this should satisfy the need for them to register as ac powered.

i’ve reprogrammed everything into ADC so all the schedules, notifications and smart away settings are back what they should be.

Can you confirm that you can see them running normally now and not on batteries?

Can you remove the batteries entirely for the moment? We will request a system equipment update to verify correct info is uploaded.

Not right now…I’m already gone for the day. I can remove them when I get home and leave them out so you can do what you need tomorrow morning. Does that work?

That will be fine

Can you not see if they’re reporting on AC now without having to reload the list?

It looks like they are still reporting as battery. Which is very odd. Different behavior than a CT100 and not what we would expect. It is saying the status was updated properly when it was requested earlier, so I think the thought was to request this update when no batteries are installed at all and prove a malfunction in the status process.

Well that’s odd. They were learned in without batteries present so it’s not an installation process failure.

I’ll take the batteries out tonight and confirm here so you can perform what you need to do in the morning.

That’ll work. I have confirmed here that learning them in on AC power will convey the proper status.

When you removed the devices, did you learn them back in quickly?

A few minutes maybe. I took the time to do a factory reset of the thermostats themselves after removing them from the panel and then pulled them from the wall and removed the batteries before adding them back to the network.

Ok. Pulled the batteries from the thermostats. ADC gave me a low battery warning for them after I did that. They’re still on though as expected.

Alright, still showing the improper status. If you are ok with it (I’m not sure this is actually causing further problems) the way to verify would be to remove these thermostats, make sure 100% they are removed from ADC so they will be updating with a brand new status, then re-add them once more without batteries in them.

I have verified here the proper status will show up.

This status does not reflect whether the thermostat is running currently off of battery or AC, but rather what it was learned in using, which affects how its Zwave radio functions (power save mode/whether it acts as a repeater)

They weren’t in ADC when I re-added them yesterday as I had to go through the entire config, including wiring diagram, to reinstall them.

In any case, I’ve done it again and haven’t put the batteries back in at all this time. ADC is complaining that the battery level is zero as well.

The issue is that it appears that when the system thinks the thermostat is learned in battery mode, updates and therefore notifications, aren’t timely or apparently accurate all the time.

So to confirm: I’ve removed them, confirmed that they’re not in ADC, then re-added them to the system with no batteries present. If that doesn’t work then there’s an issue somewhere else.

I will have to get ADC more involved. Still battery. It may be just an errant reporting rather than the thermostats themselves still acting with power save mode and non-repeating status.

I’ll update when I test further with Qolsys and learn more.

Ugh. Ok well in that case I’m going to put the batteries back in the units now as I’m getting tired of the notifications about it. Clearly there’s an issue that I can’t solve on my own so I look forward to hearing what you find out.