New system questions

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding which system to choose.

There is an existing wired system so I would like to try and use what is already there assuming its still good.

1. Whether you use 2GIG or Qolsys for the take over modules you cannot use the existing wired smoke/fire/life safety devices correct?
  2. Out of curiosity, is there an expiry on wired smoke/fire/life safety devices?
  3. With the Qolsys do you need to get video for your subscription to see the built in camera in the mobile app?
  4. I am assuming because everything is wired the right Qolsys is the 319MHz one? Meaning I can use a Panel 2 rather than a 2+
  5. Ease of programming? Which one wins? I am familiar with the older 2GIG panel programming.
  6. Side question, do you monitor Konnected systems?
  7. I assume none of the panels integrated with smarthome etc home automation systems.

That is all I can think of for now.

Thanks!
Justin

Whether you use 2GIG or Qolsys for the take over modules you cannot use the existing wired smoke/fire/life safety devices correct?

The new Qolsys Hardwire 16F has support for low voltage smoke detectors. With 2GIG, correct, the takeover cannot use the life safety devices.

Out of curiosity, is there an expiry on wired smoke/fire/life safety devices?

Yes, there is an expiration on all life safety devices. Internal sensing components lose sensitivity over time. Do not try to use devices past their manufacturer’s expiration date. This is commonly 10 years from manufacture, but you should check on the devices to determine the replace by date.

With the Qolsys do you need to get video for your subscription to see the built in camera in the mobile app?

The camera is used for local video and image capture. You cannot access Live View in the app like with ADC IP cams.

The panel camera images can be linked with ADC and used like Image Sensor images for alarm events etc.

I am assuming because everything is wired the right Qolsys is the 319MHz one?

If you do not have legacy 2GIG, DSC, or Honeywell wireless sensors there would be no reason to use one of the other models, correct. Go with the 319 model as it allows the addition of both S-Line and Power G for two encrypted options.

Ease of programming? Which one wins? I am familiar with the older 2GIG panel programming.

The GC3 improved on the programming experience of the 2GIG Panel, but the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ is more fluid with regard to programming.

All settings are menu driven on the Qolsys panel, laid out in a manner more similar to tablet/phone/app settings. The GC3 still uses a programming question list for most settings.

Side question, do you monitor Konnected systems?

We provide monitoring and support for all Alarm.com compatible systems. (The DSC Iotega is a bit of an exception as it is decidedly DIY unfriendly.)

We do not provide support or monitoring for Konnected.

I assume none of the panels integrated with smarthome etc home automation systems.

Could you clarify a bit here? Most of the panels supported by Alarm.com are home automation systems. Z-wave controllers can often be used to create a parallel control system for the same devices. See this thread for general info on using the panel as a secondary Z-wave controller.

Thanks Jason!

So you are saying go with the 2+ panel over the 2 for Power G. What range should you expect for 319MhZ and then what range for Power G.

To clarify about smart home, I was curious if you already had like a Samsung smartthings hub or home assistant already running could/would the system tie into that.

Cheers,
Justin

What range should you expect for 319MhZ and then what range for Power G.

Range estimates are given for completely open air transmission and do not represent accurate expectations for a home environment. S-line open air estimates are 600 feet. Actual performance will be heavily impacted by the location. In general, conservatively assume at least 100-150 feet as long as there is no excess metal nearby the sensor.

In general, expect 4-5 times the range for Power G.

To clarify about smart home, I was curious if you already had like a Samsung smartthings hub or home assistant already running could/would the system tie into that.

Yes, this is what I was referencing above. You can loosely associate other Z-wave controllers in many circumstances so that you have two parallel networks using the same devices. See the linked thread.

ADC would control ADC compatible items, Smartthings would control Smartthings compatible items. It wouldn’t add functionality to either.