New Home - GC3 Setup

Hi all - We are in the process of building our new home and I wanted some advice on a DIY security system wiring. I want to go with the 2GIG GC3 panel and its accessories.

1. Since I want the panel by our entry door, should I have the builder drop 22 gauge wire into a gang plate to power the main panel of the GC3? Is this enough to power it?

2. I want a second panel in our master bedroom, do I need to have another 22 gauge wire run to power it? Does it apply to either TS1 or TS2?

3. If I wanted a siren connected to the main panel that exceeds 120 ma - what siren would you recommend and what wiring would need to be run?

1. Since I want the panel by our entry door, should I have the builder drop 22 gauge wire into a gang plate to power the main panel of the GC3? Is this enough to power it?
  1. I want a second panel in our master bedroom, do I need to have another 22 gauge wire run to power it? Does it apply to either TS1 or TS2?

These would all depend on the distance of the cable run, but I would typically recommend using 18AWG. If you use 22awg, use 4 conductor cable, this is what is found when reusing cable for an existing wired keypad and you can double up the conductors for power to effectively make a bigger gauge.

3. If I wanted a siren connected to the main panel that exceeds 120 ma – what siren would you recommend and what wiring would need to be run?

Exceeding the power draw means you would need a separate power supply, a wired relay, etc. You may be better served with a couple Z-wave sirens (utilitech or fortrezz) but this post goes over a setup using an RBSNTTL Relay.

Thanks Jason. Do you have any documentation on the power requirements for the secondary panels? And are the z-wave sirens loud from your experience?

The SP1 uses the same voltage as the GC3, and comes with its own power supply (never use just one for both). It’s power requirements are identical.

The SP2 is a tablet emulating the GC3 UI essentially. It uses a 5VDC transformer and is more limited in cable length. The SP2 is more suited to desktop/end table placement.

Z-wave sirens will generally be louder than the Panel itself. The internal panel siren is 85db. The Fortrezz SSA2 for example is 110db.

Figured this is kinda relavinte here. Will the gc3 be fine running on 13v? I would just be able to simplify my wiring if it is.

Figured this is kinda relavinte here. Will the gc3 be fine running on 13v? I would just be able to simplify my wiring if it is.

The GC3 comes with a 14VDC plug-in transformer. Always use the included transformer. Do not use an alternate power source when installing the GC3. We recommend using 18AWG cable for powering the panel, although 22AWG is fine for shorter runs under 20 feet or so.