New Home Construction Best Security Approach for me?

I am building a new home in FL. Previous houses have I’ve had 2GIG and now Honeywell Lyric systems. Both were rock solid! Only issue was old Honeywell motion sensor, the 22 lb fat cat set off…A new Bosch motion sensor, worked much better, great coverage, no false detections. Downside to all this is $53/month monitoring with local beach gangsters I have now!!

For the new house build- No more gangster contracts! I have an open mind on which system, but leaning towards Qolsys… I have done my Google HW, and settled on Surety for purchase of my system, based on your solid track record.

I have a some questions what would be my best approach in the new build?

Q1) Qolsys hardware does not have long-term history as Honeywell, so I am looking for brutal honest opinions, early years 2015-2016 Qolsys was not ready for prime-time. But in 4-5 years a lot can change!

What about today? In 2020, would you tell your cousin to install a Qolsys IQ 2 panel, Qolsys window sensors, and Interlogix motion sensors without hesitation? Once dialed in is it set & forget security hardware or you need a firmware update or there is a hassle/fix every 7 weeks throughout the year?..or should I fallback on 2 GIG or Honeywell…

Q2 and on, will be based on which path I go…so I will pause here…again I have open-mind, if Qolsys is rock-solid month-after-month I am willing to give it a go!

Thanks Vince

What about today? In 2020, would you tell your cousin to install a Qolsys IQ 2 panel, Qolsys window sensors, and Interlogix motion sensors without hesitation?

The Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ is the panel we have chosen to sell in our bundles for new systems specifically because we feel it offers the best experience overall.

Qolsys has done a fantastic job with the IQ Panel 2+, and the panel is more deeply integrated with the Alarm.com service than other systems, offering unique features such as video to the panel screen, doorbell video calls through the panel, MyQ garage control on the panel, Z-wave network maps and diagnostics, etc.

Programming sensors is arguably easier than any other system, and the 319.5 version (the standard one we sell in featured bundles) gives support for two different encrypted sensor lines, S-Line Qolsys sensors and Power G sensors.

Power G wireless sensors are among the most advanced sensors you can get, with extreme range (about 4-5x that of other sensors on the Qolsys panel), spread-spectrum frequency hopping, encrypted signaling with the panel, and adaptive battery usage.

Qolsys has been very responsive with regard to improvements and resolution of issues.

As an example, by comparison unfortunately the 2GIG GC3 has had a known serious bug active for the better part of two years through 5+ firmware iterations, which has been reported numerous times by many dealers over that time period and has gone unresolved. We’ve recently been assured it is being addressed currently by their product team, but it certainly plays into current panel recommendations.

Jason,

Thanks for the detailed reply! The Qolsys hardware capabilities are impressive for sure! so over the last 100+ Qolsys panel bundles sold(IQ panels,window & motion sensors) issues have been rare? 1-2% not 20%?

thanks Vince

Yes, defects are extremely rare, though that is usually the case with most systems.

2GIG had a run of DW sensors that were failing at a very high rate a few years ago, and Resolution Products (now Alula) had one model of DW sensor with a rather spectacular bug, but otherwise there is nothing I can think of that comes anywhere close to a 20% malfunction rate.

Still, to your point, the IQ Panel 2+ has been solid.

Wanted to add, I had the same when I built my current home, 3 years ago. Using qolsys iq2, and 3 remotes, I did some prepping: don’t forget to bring power cables for the panels from the mechanical room (or power supply). For example one in the garage, master bedroom, etc, if you like having the panels cleanly mounted on your walls near the wall switches, and the same is true for the security cameras.

Jason & Xeon,

thanks for the tips!

Its a 2300 sq ft conditioned house… Power G sensors overkill I believe?

1. go with Qolsys IQ 2 vs 2+? (wife wants it mobile- not wall mounted)

2. the house will be 3 miles from fire hydrant, puts me hazard class of 9 or 10…need a smoke detector…I see IQ Smoke Detector

3. for windows… I see QS1135-840 window sensors

4. for door sensors recessed QS1134-840

5. what about motion sensors? I have a 22 lb fat cat…Can someone suggest a best motion Sensor IQ 2/2+ compatible, that wont set off by the cat? For Honeywell, had to upgrade to the Bosch motion sensor…

6. Cameras- In the past home I went the DEsktop PC Hikvision POE router…High dollar setup, needed IT admin rights setup switches…this time I was going to go with Reolink POE system NVR simple plug & play…Alarm.com cameras…they seem like an after thought to the product line??

thanks Vince

Power G sensors overkill I believe?
In terms of distance, likely, but they offer they offer improved encryption over Qolsys S-Line.

1. go with Qolsys IQ 2 vs 2+? (wife wants it mobile- not wall mounted)

IQ Panel 2 is discontinued and replaced with 2+. Physically, they are nearly identical and can be wall mounted or mobile.

the house will be 3 miles from fire hydrant, puts me hazard class of 9 or 10…need a smoke detector…I see IQ Smoke Detector

Correct, IQ Smoke from Qolsys would be compatible and a great choice for wireless detection.

If you have wired, interconnected smokes installed, the Hardwired 16-F could be utilized to transmit their signal to wireless as it supports up to 10 2-wire smoke detectors. Alternatively, you could go with the Interlogix FireFighter which is an audio detector that listens for the wired smokes alarm cadence to transmit a wireless signal to the panel .

for windows… I see QS1135-840 window sensors

Likely the best option windows due to their smaller profile. Can be used on doors as well.

for door sensors recessed QS1134-840

Works well for entry/exit doors. Not as much for sliding glass doors. Can use QS1135-840s instead.

what about motion sensors? I have a 22 lb fat cat…Can someone suggest a best motion Sensor IQ 2/2+ compatible

The QS1231-840 S-Line Motion is Qolsys’ offering but may not be the best for cats (especially if they are climbers/jumpers).

The PowerG PG9914 Motion may be a better fit as it is pet immune up to 85lbs.

Cameras- In the past home I went the DEsktop PC Hikvision POE router…High dollar setup, needed IT admin rights setup switches…this time I was going to go with Reolink POE system NVR simple plug & play…Alarm.com cameras…they seem like an after thought to the product line??

If you currently have those cameras, they would not work with Alarm.com. Only Alarm.com compatible cameras can connected with Alarm.com services.

I would not consider ADC cameras to be an afterthought at this juncture. Most of the newer cameras offer video analytics for enhanced detection between people, animals and vehicles.

You would need their ADC SVR and a compatible service plan for 24/7 recording.

Tyler-

Thanks for the detailed reply…I will take your suggestion…go with superior PowerG motion and take another look at the cameras…I don’t have the Hikvisions anymore last house they sold…

V

I’d still put the wire there, and then just put a wire cap on the small hole on the wall and paint over the cap, just in case, you ever wanted to put it on the wall. You may find that the mobile tablet could get lost, or misplaced a lot (especially with young kids). I’m only suggesting this because its a new home build and its so easy to do.

Xeon,

Good suggestion! If I ever wanted to mount it on the laundry room wall coming from the garage you could…will leave wiring provisions…

thanks Vince