New customer to Surety with pre-sales questions

Thinking of coming over from another alarm.com provider (General Security) – I’m in FL and have honestly wanted to be with you guys since I jumped ship from Vivint, but you didn’t offer service in Florida years ago when I was looking.

Questions:
If general security will de-register my module I can use it with you, correct? Is there a cost to them (with alarm.com) to do this? Ideally I’d like to avoid $100+ for a new module, that seems silly to me.

My signal strength looks good and I can get the remote command to work after screwing around for some time with cell phone test. It does stop again soon after. Maybe just a good old fashioned power cycle would help? Is that a thing with the Go Control 2? I mean, I’m IT, so reboot is a regular go to for troubleshooting, but not sure in the alarm world how commonly that step is needed.

Hello I promise you will love surety home I was same as u I was very hesitant on coming to surety but I’m glad I did now regarding ur system if the current provider releases the communicator some do and some don’t and it an update communicator then yes u could sign up for surety with no problem but the thing is the communicator has to be Verizon or AT&T LTE Communicator it cant be 3g or cdma cause they both r going away and alarm.com won’t allow new activations of them 2 communicators now here is another thing ur panel needs to be update to even allow the Lte communicator do u know if which communicator or software version ur panel is currently running on

Hi, Charlie is correct about 3G vs 4G LTE.

There is no cost to your current provider to deregister your module. When they cancel your old account your module is deregistered. Most will do that. Some less friendly providers choose to keep paying a monthly fee to Alarm.com just to prevent you from switching but most don’t do that. It costs money and it makes people angry.

But if you have a 3G Verizon or AT&T module it can’t be used to create a new Alarm.com account anymore. In preparation for the 3G sunset they only allow LTE modules for new accounts. What kind of ADC module do you have?

No, sending commands to the GC2 should be reliable. You shouldn’t have to reboot regularly.

You’ll need to upgrade your module eventually. The 3G networks will be dismantled in 2022 and 3G may start having issues before that. If you’re already having signal issues then it may be best to go ahead and upgrade, whether you stay with your current provider or switch to Surety.

I’m pretty sure I have a 3G Module. Can I tell by looking at it or from the serial number? I can’t find my old order.

Today? Remote commands come into my panel fine. Same signal strength and everything. Yesterday when I looked in the “Radio Modem Status” screen says “Connection status: Idle” while today I see "Connection status: Idle (OTASP Ok) – Not sure if that made the difference but it’s working again.

I’m kinda suprised Alarm.com already stopped setting up new plans on 3G when it’s got 2 years until sunset. How would I guarantee a 4g module if I was to order one?

What is the software version of ur current system

I’m pretty sure I have a 3G Module. Can I tell by looking at it or from the serial number?

Yes, there is actually a pretty easy way to tell if you open the panel. A 4G LTE module will have two antennae. A 3G module will only have one.

You could also check the module model number sticker. What is the model number?

I’m kinda suprised Alarm.com already stopped setting up new plans on 3G when it’s got 2 years until sunset. How would I guarantee a 4g module if I was to order one?

3G modules will no longer function at all when the sunset occurs in 2022, but they will see a reduction in performance leading up to that date. Even if it was permitted, I would strongly recommend not trying to use a 3G module. If you see sustained issues with signaling, upgrading to 4G is the best and quickly approaching only troubleshooting step.

If you are looking for a 4G 2GIG Module, we sell them here, along with a free first month of service and the firmware update cable if needed (the module requires 1.19.1+ firmware.

I’m on 1.9.6 and zwave 2gig 2.78

So I think I need an upgrade cable, laptop nearby, new communicator and I know I need a new smoke sensor. I have a ct-100 thermostat, along with 4 wireless sensors I’d like to bring over.

Would I be better suited at this point to upgrade the communication module, firmware and buy a new smoke or do some sort of bundle upgrade to a new panel? Either way I need a smoke and was looking toward that new 2gig one, I think smkt8.

The 2GIG SMKT8-345 smoke detector would be compatible with the 2GIG Go!Control and is the newest smoke offering from 2GIG.

I have a ct-100 thermostat, along with 4 wireless sensors I’d like to bring over.

Note that the CT-100 thermostat is no longer supported by Alarm.com on new accounts and could not be used to remotely control hvac or set up automation rules/schedules. More information on that can be found here.

Any 345Mhz sensors currently enrolled in your panel should be fine.

Would I be better suited at this point to upgrade the communication module, firmware and buy a new smoke or do some sort of bundle upgrade to a new panel?

You could do either, both would be perfectly viable options. Once the firmware is upgraded and the new 4G LTE module installed, the 2GIG Go!Control would be compatible with service.

As for a new panel, we recommend the Qolsys brand IQ Panel 2+ as it offers a 4G LTE cellular module, built in wi-fi, compatibility with DSC PowerG encrypted sensors.

We offer the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ with 345MHz radio, found through this link. It includes a radio for PowerG sensors and for 345MHz sensors (for compatibility with 2GIG and Honeywell 345MHz)

What benefits would one panel get me over the other? Would I need to worry about window or door sensors aging out of the system like the thermostat did? Is there a way to migrate my account to you versus cancel and sign up fresh?

What benefits would one panel get me over the other?

Built in wi-fi, encrypted sensor compatibility (PowerG), video to the panel would be the biggest benefits to the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+. Enhanced local control, larger, capacitive touch screen, ease of programming and control would be some other, minor benefits. Partitioning is also available on the IQ Panel 2+ as well.

Note that if you are currently using Image Sensors, or the 2GIG TS1 secondary panel, these would not be compatible with the IQ Panel 2+

The Go!Control can’t do video to the panel or use encrypted sensors but it can communicate across wi-fi should a separate piece of equipment called the Go!Bridge, be obtained.

Would I need to worry about window or door sensors aging out of the system like the thermostat did?

RF sensors, like door window, motions, life safety, would be fine.

The CT100 still works with your panel and can control HVAC, it just can no longer be assigned to new accounts through Alarm.com as it does not meet higher communication standards needed to support new thermostat capabilities through Alarm.com.

Is there a way to migrate my account to you versus cancel and sign up fresh?

Account transfers are possible, if your current service provider supports this. Some do and some don’t. You will want to contact them to find out more information.

If they do, just reach out to our customer service team (support@suretyhome.com) and they can follow up with the necessary steps on how to transfer, as the process differs slightly from starting new service through Surety.

It would appear my former provider supports transfers. I’m trying that path now. Ordered the sensor I need, smoke detector, 2 keyfobs and an upgrade cable so I can get the latest firmware.

Sounds like over time I’ll swap the CT100 (I hated that thing anyway, it always seems inaccurate to me) and eventually my panel. I run no video and I’m not worried about encrypted sensors. Wi-fi connectivity to backup the cell would be nice, but isn’t critical.

I appreciate the help. Sorry to drag my feet so long getting it done.

Always happy to help!

If you are not planning on using the extra features offered on the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+, there may not be big reason for you to switch to that panel.

Eventually, you will need to upgrade to 4G LTE but that is a simple module swap and does not require a new panel, just the firmware upgrade prior to.

Yeah, kinda why I landed where I did. Maybe when the 3g sunset has an effect on me I’ll revisit this.

Thanks again for your help, you guys are awesome.