Nest Thermostats randomly offline and online

After reconnecting my Nest thermostats to WWGA I have an issue where randomly throughout the day I’ll receive a notification error that a thermostat is offline, then a minute or minutes later, I receive a notification that it is back online.

I never had this issue when connected with WWN, but since I used WWGA I have this problem.

A wild guess is that it feels like to me is that there is some kind of check in process and the time window to receive a result back is too short, so it triggers offline, then receives the response back later than expected and then says its back online. If that is the case, I’m not sure if there is a setting time adjustment? Or this is just a random issue and I need to disconnect from WWGA and reconnect? Or what the issue may be.

I have a solid Ubiquiti Unifi network setup and the thermostats are on 5Ghz, 5 bars, and perfect connection, so it’s not a connectivity issue. Seems to be rolling error through each thermostat

Was wondering how to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks.

A wild guess is that it feels like to me is that there is some kind of check in process and the time window to receive a result back is too short, so it triggers offline, then receives the response back later than expected and then says its back online. If that is the case, I’m not sure if there is a setting time adjustment? Or this is just a random issue and I need to disconnect from WWGA and reconnect? Or what the issue may be.

That is as good a guess as any probably, but there wouldn’t be anything user-editable if that was the issue. There are a few too many unknown potential failure points here. I don’t recall hearing reports of this, and there are quite a few users with Nest integrations.

The best thing would definitely first be to try removing the Nest account sync and reconnect.

I have a solid Ubiquiti Unifi network setup and the thermostats are on 5Ghz, 5 bars, and perfect connection, so it’s not a connectivity issue.

Wifi connectivity has plenty of intermittent pitfalls and high signal strength unfortunately doesn’t mean connection drops won’t occur.

Another first step I would also suggest is to try to set address reservation for the thermostats in your router, or set a static IP in the thermostat settings if able.

my Nest does the same! At first I thought it was an alarm.com issue because its the one that keeps telling me its off/online but, when I open my nest app, it also stats that its offline. I’m thinking its just a spotty wifi issue as mentioned.

Any idea how frequent the Nest account pings the Thermostats for supervision?

This thread on their support forum may be related.

I’m highly confident that it is not a spotty WiFi issue. The infrastructure is all brand new high quality Cat6 Cable, tested and vetted high end enterprise grade Ubiquiti Unifi equipment.

I’ve checked channel utilization on the AP(s), ISP load, latency, signal strength, distance from AP, etc. Everything is rock solid.

Whenever I check the app it seems that the Nest app always shows online. I will check the next time I get an ADC notification and see if it shows offline on the Nest app as well.

For start, I will check firmware updates manually on Nest thermostat, reboot the thermostats, assign a static IP to the thermostats. If notification comes and I see Nest app works and ADC doesn’t, I will disconnect and reconnect WWGA.

After all of the above is performed, I will report back if I still have same issues. Thanks.

For start, I will check firmware updates manually on Nest thermostat, reboot the thermostats, assign a static IP to the thermostats. If notification comes and I see Nest app works and ADC doesn’t, I will disconnect and reconnect WWGA.

Sounds like good steps, let us know if these resolve the issue.

So firmware is up to date (as expected since it’s automated).
I reserved an IP address for each thermostat in the Unifi Controller.
I’ve rebooted all thermostats.

I logged into ADC, went to thermostat, manage permissions.
It took me to https://nestservices.google.com/partnerconnections

I said disconnect, then receive an error of “Something went wrong, please try again in few minutes”

After waiting a few minutes, I check ADC, thermostats are still there.
Going back to the same link for Google shows the same error.
Going to add Nest thermostat in ADC says they’re already connected.

I guess Ill give 24 hours to see if there is just a long delay for Google to disconnect.
Will report back.

I checked your account and I do not see any Nest devices linked at this time. Looks like that disconnection is complete.

You’ll have to be quick. It goes offline momentarily, sometimes less than a minute. I can confirm I’ve seen the nest report it as offline when alarm.com did. You’re right, it may not be related to wifi. I wonder if nest also has a log which shows its status?

1 Like

Even though on your end it showed not connected, I had to wait until the next day to see it removed from my account and be able to add back in.

The good news is, after giving each thermostat an address reservation, rebooting each thermostat, disconnecting and reconnecting to ADC, it’s been a couple days and no disconnects so far. I’ll report back if it starts disconnecting again. Thanks for the help on this!

Glad to hear positive results. Let me know how it goes!