Need A Z-wave Weatherproof Deadbolt for Gate - Suggestions?

I know most of the z-wave locks are weatherproof on one side only

I need one that is weatherproof on both sides as I want to install on a new outdoor gate I am having built.

Any suggestions as to one that will work with 2 GIG and ADC?

No. There are no all-inclusive Z-wave locks compatible and useable outdoors. Using a Yale/Schlage/Kwikset outdoors is inviting a very quick demise for the internal components of the rear housing.

One thing that is possible is to find an electronic gate lock made for outdoor use that has a dry contact input which can be wired to something like the Mimolite. The mimolite is compatible with 2GIG Go!Control. The Mimolite would be indoors, with a cable running to the contact input on the gate lock.

Something like this might work. Wire the Mimolite in Parallel with the Exit Button.

The mimolite can then be set for momentary activation, use the NO/COM contacts, and you would essentially have two exit buttons: one physically at the lock, and one that can be remotely tripped.

This of course would not give any sort of remote user code control, but if you use an outdoor D/W contact you can monitor opening/closing.

I was just logging in to see if anyone had tried something on an outdoor gate (board on board privacy fence).

My first thought was a little more rudimentary - I’ve got an outlet close by that I could switch over to z-wave and was thinking of wiring up a linear actuator that would function as a deadbolt. I’m not looking for keypad access, just ability to lock/unlock remotely and see current status. This method would have it show up as a light though in ADC (which at least now reports the on/off status) rather than a lock.

My second thought was to use a supported z-wave deadbolt in a remote weatherproof enclosure that would be a physical trigger for an actuator switch as the deadbolt extends and retracts. Haven’t really thought it through but this would let it report itself as locked or unlocked.

Both seem complicated just to have weatherproof deadbolt, though. Might have to look into something like Warren suggests, instead.

I’ve got an outlet close by that I could switch over to z-wave and was thinking of wiring up a linear actuator that would function as a deadbolt. I’m not looking for keypad access, just ability to lock/unlock remotely and see current status. This method would have it show up as a light though in ADC (which at least now reports the on/off status) rather than a lock.

This is very similar to what Warren suggested. The Mimolite would show up as a switch as well. Just depends whether you want keypad access at the gate itself.

I need a way to enter a code so my gardeners can get in.

Then this is the way to go I’d say.

Codes would need to be set at the lock, but you could remotely lock/unlock as well.

This is very similar to what Warren suggested. The Mimolite would show up as a switch as well. Just depends whether you want keypad access at the gate itself.

I agree and is definitely something I’ll be looking into. Wasn’t aware of the Mimolite, previously. Still kind of surprised there isn’t a more elegant solution.

Wasn’t aware of the Mimolite

The Mimolite is nice in that it can be set to momentary activation, meaning that pressing “ON” in the ADC app is no different than pressing a momentary physical button. It allows you to use the exit button interface on whatever electronic lock you choose and use the lock’s own timing options to unlock for, say, 7 seconds, 10 seconds, etc., before relocking automatically.

FWIW, at our old house we had a Schlage lever lock on a side gate. Both sides were exposed to the elements. This is in Arizona, so it didn’t rain often, but when it did, buckets of water. Lots of dust and extreme temperatures (heat).

We just sold the house, and the lock was still going strong, 3 years after installation.

Mikedr,

Was this an electronic lock? a Zwave lock? Cold you post the model number?

Yes, z wave and electronic. Schlage FE599NX.