Multiple Radio Modem Network Failure

Good day,

I have a Radio Modem Network Failure.

I have done the reset procedures as directed. I reset the panel as well as reset the panel and removed the cellular sled and did a reset. I have cellular sled 2GIG - LTEV - A - GC3 / Ser# 1835020008824246

I was on firmware 3.2.0 and have updated to 3.2.6.

When I do a radio test is says “waiting for CS response”, “did not get ACK”, “resetting radio”, “acquiring network” and then “failed”

Any other things to test or is my cellular sled dead?

I also discovered a bloated battery and ordered a new one.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello ozoneduck,

Try an extended power down sequence on your panel and report back the results.

1. Disarm
  2. Disconnect power supply from wall
  3. Open disconnect battery (in this case its not there)
  4. Wait 10 minutes, power on in reverse order

Adam,

Thank you. I accidentally left it unplugged last night for about 8 hours and plugged it back in this morning…so I think that covers your extended power drain idea.

I have not run another radio test this morning after extended the power drain. But this problem was happening for awhile and my wife got tired of the beeping and unplugged the unit and put it in another bedroom for a while. I just plugged it back in last night to start the diagnosis part to try and fix it.

Also the unit is connected to WiFi so does it send the same info over WiFi as it does over cellular? Is cellular simply a backup in case the WiFi is down? Or do I have to do something to set it up on both for it to have both ways to communicate? Figure now that I am messing with it I want to get it completely up to date.

I am a Surety customer so can you run any tests of look at my history?

Thanks,

Chris

Also the unit is connected to WiFi so does it send the same info over WiFi as it does over cellular? Is cellular simply a backup in case the WiFi is down? Or do I have to do something to set it up on both for it to have both ways to communicate? Figure now that I am messing with it I want to get it completely up to date.

All Alarm.com connected systems use a cellular primary communication channel, with optional broadband backup. Broadband backup is concurrent though, signals sent at the same time.

Since powering the panel back up your broadband has worked. The broadband dual path pings we send are acknowledged by the panel. Cellular is not.

Looking at your history of trouble conditions it appears the signal loss was abrupt and started on 11/9. It is possible that the cell sled has experienced a hardware failure. When did you update the firmware?

I would triple check just to be sure there is no debris blocking the connection of the cell sled connectors, and make sure it is very firmly installed. I see a long term panel Tamper alert which was just recent resolved. Was the panel wall mounted that whole time? It is possible it was just the swollen battery causing the tamper, but I just want to verify if it was being used without a backplate for any time.

Thanks.

Panel sits on top of a desk in our room. It has the back on it which allows it to stand up but slightly tilted back. Our cleaners will move it for dusting sometimes which causes the tamper alert. The battery was so swollen that it had popped part of the back cover up.

So we were getting signals about Modem failure on a regular basis so with the constant beeping from the alerts in the middle of the night my wife unplugged the unit on the 9th and put it in the guest room so the modem failure alerts would not keep her up. I now just plugged it back in yesterday and decided to try and fix the problem.

I did power off the panel and pulled out the sled, wiped down the connectors and put the sled back in. I only just updated the software last night.

Thank you for the context, yeah that would explain the tampers.

Based on the troubleshooting and behavior of the module it sounds like that cell module has failed and needs replaced. The actual signal strength prior to dropping off completely was high, it doesn’t seem like it is a carrier issue but rather between the module and the panel.

Thanks.

Why is it when I look at my radio status page it says signal strength is 6/6, shows my serial number, subscriber ID, registration status (registered), connection status (idle), power status (on), SIM status (not locked) and radio frequency (auto) 5….that all looks normal but when I try and run a radio test it fails.

Is it normal for it to show all of that but still fail?

Thanks

No, that is not normal, but it matches what your system most recently reported as its signal strength for cellular before 11/9, and if you were encountering a lot of intermittent radio modem failures prior to that it likely signifies an internal failure of the module. I am not seeing instances of radio modem failure in Alarm.com prior to 11/9, which means the events resolved themselves prior to the 6 hour supervision interval in Alarm.com

If an extended power down and reinstallation of the module does not resolve the issue, and you no longer have the swollen battery connected, a new cell module would be the next step. I don’t see any nearby users in your area with the same carrier having any connectivity issues currently.

Thanks Jason.

I’ll order a new cell sled.

I just need to do the cell sled swap procedure, correct?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, on the panel do the cell swap, then in the system manager here you will need to update the cell module IMEI that is connected to your account. Expand the Swap Cellular Module/Panel section to get started.

One other question, how to I get my 4 digit installer code, I tried 1561 but that did not work. Thanks

We cannot see your current installer code, but as long as your panel is still communicating via broadband you should be able to change your installer code remotely in the system manager.

Thanks!