Move from Frontpoint w/v1 Qolsys

So after doing some reading, it looks like I get screwed some if I try to switch from Frontpoint to Surety…I’m on the v1 Qolsys panel and with the 3G sunset and Alarmdotcom not activating old panels, I’m going to have to fork out more $$ to switch…Is there still a window to possibly get moved over? I’m no longer under contract so I have that much going for me.

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. The cutoff date for activating 3G modules with new Alarm.com accounts was June 31st so it’s long past. If we could, we would let you do it but it’s not in our control.

You will eventually have to upgrade to 4G anyway even if you stick with Frontpoint as the 3G sunset is just 2 years away (Feb 2022) and 3G service will degrade before that in some locations. But I feel your pain.

So given that you’ll have to upgrade either way, I recommend doing an apples to apples comparison to determine which is the better fit for you. Luckily, I just happen to have such a comparison! :smiley:

In the long run you’ll save money even with buying a new panel. And you can spread it over 12 months with Klarna if you’d like. (requires approval by Klarna)

So i don’t have any other “smart” feature that are tied in my alarm like thermostats, cameras, etc…but I was looking at the Alarm vs the Home plan and the latter mentions:

• Activity Monitoring (what is this?? signals like door open/close, panel arm/disarm, etc???)
  • Audio integration (???)
  • Unexpected activity alerts (?? power outage and ??)
  • Severe weather alerts (this seems obvious)
  • Enhanced security features (??? what enhancements???)

Sensor Activity Monitoring is when you can see whether door/window sensors and motion detectors are activated or not in the Alarm.com app and get notifications when they change. It’s actually included in Surety Alarm too. I don’t know why it isn’t listed there on the plans page. Every plan we have except the camera-only plans includes Sensor Activity Monitoring. Sorry about that. I’ll talk to the dev team and get that fixed ASAP.

Audio integration means you can control your Sonos or Legrand audio systems from Alarm.com.

Unexpected activity alerts means Alarm.com uses AI to learn normal sensor activity patterns in your home so it can alert you when something abnormal happens. For example you’re normally in bed by 10pm so if a door opens at midnight, even though you don’t have the alarm armed you may get notified of unexpected activity.

Enhanced security features is a bit ambiguous. One that comes to mind is that Surety Home has 6 hour supervision. That means Alarm.com tests its ability to communicate with the panel every 6 hours and alerts you if there is a communication issue. Surety Alarm does the communication test every 24 hours. So you’ll be alerted of a communication issue sooner with Surety Home. It used to also mean identity theft protection but that’s no longer a thing with Alarm.com. I’ll talk to the dev team about replacing that with something less ambiguous as well. You’re not the first person to ask about it.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Are there any limits to the receipt (texts) of alerts for Sensor Activity Monitoring? Is there a cost associated with that?
w/Surety Home Plan?
w/Surety Complete Plan?

Also, is the costs of additional camera groups (4 cameras/5000clips) and SVR still $5 / $3 more per group respectively (Surety Complete Plan)? Assuming I every go over a clip limit, what would be the cost for that?

The way I’m understanding the monitored plans:

Surety Home: everything included except Image/Video for $22/month (no limitations?? besides image/video stuff)
Surety Complete: everything including Video and SVR for $29 (no limitations except number of camera groups which cost an extra ??$5/month per group) So if I have between 1 and 4 cameras $29; 5 to 8 $34; 9 to 12 $39; etc.

hello there as a previous frontpoint customer i will say that you will save alot more money with surety plus there tech support is always top way better than frontpoint plus u can take advatge of newer up to date panels and as far as upgrading panels i highly recommend switching to iq panel 2 plus

Are there any limits to the receipt (texts) of alerts for Sensor Activity Monitoring? Is there a cost associated with that?
w/Surety Home Plan?
w/Surety Complete Plan?

No, there are no total message notification limits.

There is a natural limitation on frequency due to the 3 minute delay between the same signals from one zone for sensor activity monitoring.

What I mean by that is that if a door opens and closes, there is a 3 minute delay before Alarm.com processes another open and close from that sensor and show it in history/be used for notifications. This just avoids process overloads that might otherwise occur if a sensor repeatedly opens and closes rapidly. This doesn’t change what your panel registers, and it doesn’t affect alarms.

Also, is the costs of additional camera groups (4 cameras/5000clips) and SVR still $5 / $3 more per group respectively (Surety Complete Plan)? Assuming I every go over a clip limit, what would be the cost for that?

Yes, the current add-on pricing for additional levels of video and SVR are $5 and $3 respectively.

There are no additional costs if you go over the monthly clip quota, but non-alarm recording schedules would be paused and unable to record for the remainder of the month. (alarm-triggered recordings will always be uploaded)

Surety Home: everything included except Image/Video for $22/month (no limitations?? besides image/video stuff)
Surety Complete: everything including Video and SVR for $29 (no limitations except number of camera groups which cost an extra ??$5/month per group) So if I have between 1 and 4 cameras $29; 5 to 8 $34; 9 to 12 $39; etc.

The Service plan you choose up front is not set in stone at all. In fact, as soon as you connect your panel to our service and complete setup, you could immediately adjust your service plan or switch to a completely new plan within the Surety System Manager. Changes are reflected immediately in your account.

Basic video can be added to Surety Home. This is the equivalent of the Surety View plan ($4/month), 1000 clips/month, without access to analytics.

Complete includes advanced analytics, SVR, and 4 camera support. Starts at 3000 clips/month.

Additional camera support (+4 per level and +5000 clips) can be added in either case for $5 per level.

Control over all of the service plans and add-ons is available in our System Manager after account setup.

If you are looking at using the SVR and/or outdoor cameras, Complete is the plan you would want as it supports SVR, and analytics makes outdoor motion recording much more precise, preventing a lot of false recordings.

I’ve definitely made my mind up on switching over. I have until the latter part of this month till my contract is over…so I’m just waiting for the time to come.

Just because I can and have nothing to lose, i had them send me the “HUB” with the new touch screen. If anyone wants to know any “secrets” about it and the new touch screen I’ll have a short month trial period to play with it…

I’m not sure what secrets you might uncover but feel free to post a review of it in #chat if you’d like. I’m sure others in the community would be interested! I’d be curious what you think.

When I had Frontpoint and my Simon xt went bad they had me change to the hub and I never cared for there wasn’t much adjustment u could make to the system at all when I went to power it down for its last time I didn’t realize how easy it could be disabled which was scary but I can’t believe they pretty much have downgraded on systems compared to the other systems they had and I always thought there monitoring service was pricy and if the alarm activated they ask u for the password soon they call and if ur like me I had 2 different accounts with them and 2 different passwords so when they called I didn’t know which 1 to give them cause they wouldn’t tell me the address they was calling about

Well that was a FAIL…after three phone calls and 17 days later, I was told I need to activate the HUB before they would send me the touch screen…UGH!! So I shipped it back to them…They told me it’s just like the smartphone app interface… So, one more day till I can call and cancel!!

Now I need to order the IQ2 panel and make my move to y’all!!

1 Like

That sounds like Frontpoint they have went down hill big time they use to be one of the top diy company’s but they have lost there touch big time when they came out with the hub is when they lost all hope they should have stayed with qoulsys and they might still be doing good today I loved them when I first got them keep in mind we had the Simon xt and then used the Iq panel but I was glad when we canceled Frontpoint

Have u even started the cancel process with them yet I think u gotta give them a 30 day notice if I remember correctly

Doh! Ugh…30 day notice…I should have paid attention to that!! Either way I got it started…So, now I have one more month to go…
I need to order my new panel and get things set up so the transition is smooth!

Well once u get ur new panel if u want ur able to go ahead and change over to surety u don’t have to use there junk system nothing will happen they don’t even cal u if it not responding which is sad just wondering what panel do u currently have

I have V1 Qolsys panel…

One more question:
I’m getting ready to order the Qolsys v2 panel from your store. There is a check box that states, “ Professional Monitoring — optional
Add professional monitoring $5/month”.

What is this add on? I assume this is for the “one month Surety Home($17)” plus $5 to make it Professionally monitored.

Does the trial start when I order the panel, or when I create the account?? I ask because I still have till end of February till the Frontpoint account is terminated.

Yeah, sorry that’s confusing. We keep trying to find the easiest way to say it.

Your first month is free either way. If you check that box your second month will be $22 but if you uncheck it your second month will be $17. And you can switch plans any time you want.

The only reason we have that option is because some people adamantly did not want professional monitoring during the first month even though it’s free.

Does that help?

The trial starts when you create your Alarm.com account, not when you make your purchase.

Great thanks. Making purchase now!

Ok great Delating sensors from that panel is very easy I know u will like the new Iq a lot better it not bulky like that panel is and works a lot better I’m debating on upgrading to Iq panel for my parents house I currently have the 2gig gc2 panel