Motion sensor video rules?

Can I set my system to record video based on a motion sensor? I see where it can be set to use door switches, etc. But don’t see an option for motion detection

Yes. Two ways (possibly three if you program the PIR as a zone type 23 and use it to trigger recording via sensor rules (e.g., sensor open))

Built in VMD*
Alarm event rule

*use small VMD windows

For wireless motion detectors, you would be able to use them for alarm-triggered recordings.

Wireless motion detectors themselves are less useful for video recording schedules as far as sensor activity (when disarmed) goes. This is due to built in power saving delay features.

One other way to use a motion detector with video is to use a wired motion detector whose contact terminals wire to the I/O terminals on the camera. You can then set up input/output triggered rules.

However, all of the available cameras offer Video Motion Detection which can be customized. This uses a change in pixel hue of the captured image to determine motion. You do not need a supplemental detector for this.

Thanks for all the info guys… Here’s what I ended up doing to get this to work…

Equipment I already had in place:

– Inside Video Camera (Which is actually installed outside on a porch).
– PIR motion sensor (also installed outside on the porch)

Because the built in cameras “motion detector” would always false trigger and record video, I needed a way to record video only when actual movement was detected via the PIR.

Here’s what I did:

Setup the PIR as:
– Type 23 (no response type)
– Equipment Type 1 (contact)

Buy setting the Equipment Type to a 1 … that allows it to show up in the list of available sensors that can activate a Video Recording schedule.

Create a New Video Recording Schedule.

– Create a new “Sensor Opened / Closed Schedule”
– Select the PIR device as the " When:" device.
– Select “Open” to start the recording when the PIR goes Open (Active)
– Fill out the remaining schedule parameters however you like, and select the camera(s) you want to activate.
– Save the schedule - and that’s it!

Hope This helps someone else…

Equipment I already had in place:

— Inside Video Camera (Which is actually installed outside on a porch). — PIR motion sensor (also installed outside on the porch)

Just keep in mind that those are not suitable for outdoor exposure, and are not sealed (extreme heat, freezing temps, moisture, humidity, insects, bugs, etc), and eventually this may likely result in premature failure. Installation outdoors will effectually also void any manufacture warranty that may have existed.

Heat, Wind, Vibration:

The PIR loses operational efficiency as the ambient temperature of the protected area approaches the temperature range of around 95° to 120°F (which will occur on a hot day). Anything that can sway or move due to air current can cause a change in infrared energy within the fields of view, and operational issues (which will occur on windy days).

Vibration will not only cause the PIR to move a little, but this will also cause the fields
of view to move with respect to the PIR. A little vibration can go a long way with the fields of view, thus the PIR may see a change in energy, which will result in operational issues.

Thanks for the info riven. I agree with you completely. In my case the equipment is somewhat in a protected area. They have been in operation about 2 years with no issues.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I would have not been able to get my “stuff” working the way I needed to without your suggestions!