Motion sensor options

Helping someone design out system for new home and looking for some input on motion sensor choices.

Floorplan of the house

Note that the south and east walls out to the rear porch are full sliding glass door walls.

At least during initial deployment, we are looking at motion detectors to cover the Media Room, Gathering Room/Kitchen, and possibly Dining Room.

For the Media Room, I am thinking an IQ Motion. Is there any reason it makes sense to spend more on a PG9914/PG9984P for such a small area?

For the Gathering Room, a PG9984P in the NW corners of the room seems to make the most sense, given it has the longest range to cover southward into the kitchen area. That being said, I don’t think I really need to reach too much into the kitchen area because it’s a dead corner (fully walled) so it’s not like an intruder will be in that area without tripping the motion from the gathering area, unless they come in from the butler’s pantry door closest to the kitchen and immediately hang a right into the kitchen and park themselves there. Because of all of that, I was thinking about maybe offering the PG9914 for this area, mainly because it’s more discrete looking, but looking for thoughts on if giving up the range would be a bad idea, or there is some other reason having a DualTec sensor would be more desirable for this area.

Optionally looking at another motion in the NW corner of the Dining Room. I am saying optional because the thought was that an intruder is going to traverse into the gathering room zone at some point. If a motion goes here I was thinking perhaps a PG9914 just so it stretches further into the Kitchen than IQ motion would go, but going back to that train of though above, is it necessary? Can we get by with just an IQ Motion in the Dining Room to save some money?

Assuming you are using the IQ Panel 4 with 319.5MHz radio, you have a few options for motion sensors. The following are going to be the more universal indoor options:

Both the S-Line and PowerG are encrypted. PowerG sensors are going to have more robust encryption over the S-Line sensors.

PowerG sensors also have increased communication range over the 319.5MHz. More information on the differences can be found here:

I am thinking an IQ Motion. Is there any reason it makes sense to spend more on a PG9914/PG9984P for such a small area?

Sensor Range, the area the sensor will reliably monitor, is going to vary slightly from unit to unit. Sensor Ranges are documented in the installation manual for the device, specs can be found linked above as well.

Overall, if communication range is a concern, go with PowerG. This is distance between the Sensor and the Panel.

Provided the area you want to cover is within the Sensor Range, you should be good to use the IQ Motion. If communication range is a concern, then the powerG options could be leveraged.

I am saying optional because the thought was that an intruder is going to traverse into the gathering room zone at some point.

When it comes to placement, the ideal is in the corner of a room facing entryways to cover movement to and from a room. Specific mounting instructions, like height, will vary. Manufacturers guidelines should be followed when mounting (as dictated by the manual).

In general , it is best to avoid mounting the motion near a heat source (HVAC) or pointed towards a window (sunlight). As the motions detector temp change, both of these will cause false triggers. Other causes of false triggers when using motion sensors can be found here:

looking for thoughts on if giving up the range would be a bad idea, or there is some other reason having a DualTec sensor would be more desirable for this area.

The PG9984Ps added Microwave technology is going to cut down on false triggers. It is also going to offer more Sensor Range over that of the other two listed sensors. as well as better Communication Range over the IQ Motion.