Motion Sensor Activated

Hi.

I just installed a Honeywell 5898 Dual Tec motion detector. It seems to be working OK, but when I look at the status on Alarm.com it says Ok (Activated) many times when the house has been vacant for a while. Eventually it goes to Idle status, but I’m wondering what all of this means? Is this normal? I thought there was like a 3 min lockout period, so I would assume it would go idle after only 3 minutes of inactivity.

Thanks,
Dino

This is normal. Motion detector status is only “open” for a moment when motion occurs. On Alarm.com when viewing the current status of sensors, sensors like doors and windows which open until they are physically closed represent a current status.

Motion Detector true current status is essentially useless as you would always see it closed. The detectors will remain “Activated” on Alarm.com for an extended period (1 hour) to let you know at a glance whether activity has recently occurred.

I thought there was like a 3 min lockout period, so I would assume it would go idle after only 3 minutes of inactivity

What you describe here is a local function of the detector. The “Activated” status on Alarm.com is not related to and does not affect local alarm function. It’s just a way of seeing quickly whether any activity has recently occurred.

1 Like

OK, make sense. Thanks Jason!