Migrating to Surety

Hi there! I had a Vivint panel that was awful and I finally was able to be done with them this week. The one I had was proprietary so I purchased a 2Gig GC2e that works with my existing sensors. When I first got my system I had the smart home stuff (zwave locks, switches, and thermostats as well as cameras) on the panel, but I always had problems with the Vivint panel so I moved all the smart home stuff to other things and I am looking for just basic alarm functionality (I have 4 recessed door sensors, 1 PIR Motion sensor, 1 Glass break, 1 CO2 detector, 1 Smoke Detector, 1 2gig Key Fob). The GC2e panel I bought arrived today. There is no cellular module in it currently. I started programming it to work with my existing sensors today.

Will I be able to get this setup with surety monitoring? I found the cellular module on the shop, but do I need anything else? It says first month is free and then $5/month going forward. Looking under the plans section, I didn’t find one at that price. When I go to sign up and it asks for the serial number, and the help video shows checking the cellular module which I don’t have. I also would like primary connectivity to be over WiFi or wired Ethernet with cellular backup. A nudge in the right direction is appreciated. I just need to know what to buy. Thanks in advance!

Happy to assist! The 2GIG GC2e series panel and all listed sensors are compatible with our service. Cameras from Vivint typically are not compatible, you would need Alarm.com compatible cameras.

Regarding the thermostat, what model is it?

In order to use service through Surety the panel would require a 4G LTE cellular module (and the firmware would need to be at 1.19+ in order to be compatible)

You can check your panel’s firmware by navigating to:

• Security
  • Menu
  • Toolbox
  • Enter Master User Code (default 1111)
  • Click Version
    • If the firmware is lower then 1.19, then you’ll need the USB FW Update Cable to get it changed. If its at 1.19 or higher, then only the 4G LTE module is needed.

I found the cellular module on the shop, but do I need anything else? It says first month is free and then $5/month going forward.

To clarify, the 4G LTE Module includes a one month trial of the Surety Home plan, with, or without, 24/7 professional monitoring. The $5.00 checkbox on the product page references the 24/7 Professional Monitoring add on only, this is not the price for monthly service.

After the first month, the Surety Home plan is $22 /mo self monitoring or $27 /mo with 24/7 professional monitoring. Plan features and pricing can be found here.

Keep in mind that plans are offered on a month to month basis and can be changed at any time after account creation.

When I go to sign up and it asks for the serial number, and the help video shows checking the cellular module which I don’t have. I also would like primary connectivity to be over WiFi or wired Ethernet with cellular backup

Alarm.com requires a cellular connection to create the account, although wi-fi can be used for communication concurrently. However, the 2GIG GC2e series panel does not come with Wi-Fi, it communicates via cellular only at this time.

You would need the cellular module number in order to create the Alarm.com account through Surety, which you can do once the module has been received. This is a 15-digit number that follows IMEI: printed on the box or on the module itself.

Ultimately, you would need the Switch to Surety Kit to get started. If your firmware is at 1.19+ you only need the module.

If its lower then that, you need to click the check box to include the 2GIG USB Update Cable to update the panel’s firmware first. I don’t believe you’ll need the cable as I think all GC2e series panels were shipped at 1.19 or above but you will want to check first.

Thanks so much for the quick response.

The thermostat uses z-wave and is model CT100 and I just connected it to my SmartThings hub when I disconnected my old panel. If it works with the new panel/Surety great. If not, it’s not a deal-breaker. I long-ago tossed the Vivint cameras. They were junk and I now use a separate system and they are all wired now so it’s ok if they wouldn’t work anyway.

My GC2e panel shows version 1.21 when I follow the menu path you provided so I think I am good to just get the LTE module.

Thank you for the clarification on the plans. I’ll buy the kit without the cable and give it a go.

The thermostat uses z-wave and is model CT100

That’s why I asked, the CT100 was a common tstat for that setup. Unfortunately, the CT100 thermostats will no longer work with Alarm.com, so while it could be learned into the GC2e series panel, remote control through Alarm.com is not possible. More on that specific interaction can be found here.

I long-ago tossed the Vivint cameras. They were junk

The system you are using now, based on your description, would not integrate with Alarm.com, that is correct. Alarm.com requires specific Alarm.com branded cameras for integrated video.

My GC2e panel shows version 1.21

That’s great about the firmware, your panel would be directly compatible with the 4G LTE module then.