Master Code Programming on Yale Lock

Hey guys, I purchased the Yale YRD240 from you and just had it installed. Everything is cool but having a samll issue with the master code.

So… before having it physically installed I wanted to ensure that it was working properly so I paired it with the panel and the SURETY/ADC service perfectly. At the time the master code was the 1561 default installer code (per you guys pre config) as noted in this thread http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/yale-real-living-configuration/. I then changed the code. I then took out the batteries obviously to have the locksmith install. Once we hooked it back up (connector and batteries) and installed physically… the 2gig panel still saw it as before and the SURETY/ADC service and app work as they should. However, the master code on the lock doesn’t seem to still be the code I originally set. It now doesn’t recognize it. Seems odd and can;t figure out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I also tried the code Ryan suggested in the link above ( #, 7, #, 1, #) but that didn’t seem to work either. I know that I can probably “reset” the lock to it’s factory settings to resolve but I was hoping you might know something. Also, if I do a “reset” I imagine it will go back to your orig master code of being the 1561 installer code. And hopefully it won’t need to be reconfigured to the panel and ADC rules that I’ve already set up.

Again any help would be great. Thanks again.

Did you attempt to change the code locally at the lock?

Or did you send your Alarm.com code to it?

Alarm.com user codes will not overwrite the original master code of the lock. This code can only be set up locally.

An easy test is to lock the door and try opening it with the master code. Press the code, then the star button. Does this unlock the door?

If it does not, does the pre-configured code still work?

The button sequence you mention above # 7 # 1 # is used to add the lock to your Zwave network.

In order to normally change the master code at the lock you will need to know the current code.

Hey Jason,

Sorry for delay and my apologies for the length of this post but wanted to do a RESET w/locksmith today before responding.

See my answers in-line…

Did you attempt to change the code locally at the lock?

• Yes. As I mentioned before, pre physical install in my front door, I changed the default 1561 Master Code to something like 1234 (as an example), as well as, setup up two ADC entry/user codes (1111 & 2222 as example) on the website (see attached pix). I tested everything via ADC website & app and all was working as expected. I then had the locksmith install the lock but it now appears the Master Code is no longer working, however, the two entry/user codes work great. It’s possible that I forgot the actual Master Code I had set but I’m almost certain that I didn’t (as I tried everything that it would have possibly been). I then tried both the default code from you (1561#) and the one from Yale (12345678#) thinking that once it was disconnected (from my orig testing) and then re-connected (once it was actually installed) that the lock would reset and default to something other than what I had just programmed. However, as of now, nothing is working yet (not 1561#, 12345678# or any of the master codes I believed should have worked in order to initiate the programming mode). FYI - I contacted Yale support and they recommended that I use the RESET button. I did this with the locksmith today thinking it would allow me to create a new Master Code (or reset to default 1561# or 1245678#) but that didn’t happen.

Or did you send your Alarm.com code to it?

• I did (see attached pix). I setup two user codes (one for me and one for a guest) and they continue to work perfectly even after the RESET. So this suggests to me that the lock is not RESETting at all or maybe the ADC codes are not affected by a physical/hard reset, only user codes via the lock itself (as normally done when not used w/services likeADC).

Alarm.com user codes will not overwrite the original master code of the lock. This code can only be set up locally.

• I understand. So again I’ve either forgotten the Master Code I originally created or something odd is still going on. I’ve RESET the unit multiple times today but it doesn’t appear to actually be reseting. So what should the default Master Code now be? Installer code 1561# from you guys or Yale default 12345678#? Cause neither of those are working, nor are the plethora of possible code(s) I believed to have originally set. Should the lock ask me to set a fresh/new Master Code?

An easy test is to lock the door and try opening it with the master code. Press the code, then the star button. Does this unlock the door?

• I did this but without knowing for sure what the Master Code is… this isn’t really possible. I obviously tried what I thought it should be (1234 from original programming/testing, 1561 per you then finally 12345678 per Yale) all followed by *. Nothing works (even after physical RESET today with locksmith). As such, without a proper Master Code I can’t get in to the local programming mode/settings on the unit which is all I’m trying to do right now.

If it does not, does the pre-configured code still work?

• Yes, door unlocks perfectly with both of the original codes I created on ADC website (1111 & 2222 example only) during the testing/programming. Also, they still work today even after the physical RESET with the locksmith. Maybe that’s supposed to happen. See attached pix for ADC website info.

The button sequence you mention above # 7 # 1 # is used to add the lock to your Zwave network.

• I figured as much but tried on lock anyway, in case I wasn’t understanding something completely.

In order to normally change the master code at the lock you will need to know the current code.

• Well, since I don’t have that I went ahead (per Yale phone support) and had the locksmith physically RESET using the RESET button on the backside of the lock itself (multiple times even). However, I’m not prompted by the lock to create a new Master Code and neither default code of 1561 (you) or 12345678 (Yale) work.

So in conclusion, I believe I just need to either RESET differently/correctly so that I can create a new Master Code from scratch or have you confirm that after a physical/hard RESET either 1561 or 12345678 codes will now be the default. And if so, which one would it be? Or lastly, I just have a unit that may need to be replaced.

Any help would be much appreciated. -thx

Performing a factory reset of the lock will reset the master code to Yale default (12345678)

It may not have been completed if this did not happen. (Or the lock may be malfunctioning) I would recommend attempting the reset procedure again to verify. See below from the lock manual.

The following procedure clears the automatic handing of the lock and returns the lock to programming default - deleting all user codes and setting the Master PIN code* back to the default ("12345678"). 1. Remove the batteries and then remove the inside escutcheon to access the reset button. 2. The reset button (see image at right) is located above the PCB cable connector. 3. Hold down the reset button for a minimum of 3 seconds and then reinstall the batteries; once the batteries are properly installed, release the reset button. 4. Reassemble the lock by reversing the same steps on page 6. All features should now be returned to factory default.

Thanks Jason,

That was what the locksmith and I did when he was here but we didn’t have any luck. Just gonna leave it alone for now (since all is working great) and circle back later (if I need to do anything that requires use of the master pin#).