Malfunction (Garage (ID:5)) Error

Hello

Since the first time my panel connected I have been getting this error “Malfunction (Garage (ID:5))”

thank you

That would be the Linear GD00Z Z-wave garage opener. The device is showing communication issues. This could be due to a few things.

1. Make sure it is powered and functional.
  2. Was it learned in within 6 feet of the 2GIG Panel? The 2GIG Panel can be run on battery and brought to the device location temporarily if need be, remember.
  3. Most likely, given the equipment list, is that it simply cannot communicate effectively with the panel. Keep in mind that Z-wave devices have a relatively short range and that range is improved by adding more repeating AC powered devices like Light switches or plug-in modules. This page goes over some Z-wave installation and troubleshooting tips.

In this case I see the GD00Z is actually the only Z-wave device on the network. How far away is it from the 2GIG Panel?

The Linear GD00Z Z-wave garage opener is already paired to smartthings hub, and it is functioning. I haven’t tried to pair it with the 2gig panel. Can I keep using the “Linear GD00Z Z-wave garage opener” with smartthings hub without having this error?

The Linear GD00Z Z-wave garage opener is already paired to smartthings hub, and it is functioning. I haven’t tried to pair it with the 2gig panel.

This would mean that the opener was previously connected to this panel and was defaulted and added to Smartthings without being removed from the panel, so a ghost instance of the device is still there. As long as the device is unreachable by the alarm panel we can send a command to delete the instance of it in the panel.

If you would like us to try that please confirm.

Yes please I confirm.

thank you

Circling back on this, multiple deletion commands have been sent but they have been unsuccessful as the device is powered and functional.

As it is your only Z-wave device listed you can instead remove the garage opener and clear the Z-wave network on the panel by going to Services > Zwave > Wrench Icon > Installer Code > Advanced Toolbox > Reset Controller. This just resets the Z-wave network.

I reset the the controller

Looks like that device is no longer listed. You should be set.

error is gone

thank you