Low Battery, Malfunction on a Wired Sensor

Good Evening,

I’ve got a system that has a wired sensor that is reporting a malfunction and a low battery.

On the same topic, I’ve got a wired garage door sensor that is reporting a low battery as well.

How would wired sensors be reporting low batteries?

Also, what does “malfunction” mean when it’s still reporting a status of closed?

Thanks!

Wired sensors with a 2GIG Panel are often used via a TAKE-345, and a low battery on those zones would indicate that the 12VDC brick battery connected to the TAKE is low.

However, note that the equipment codes programmed for those two zones are wireless sensors. They appear to be DW20R sensors based on programming.

This would also make more sense as it is less likely to use a TAKE for only two zones. Also they report as having low battery status begin at different times.

Each would have a single CR-2 battery which would need replaced.

The malfunction status you see would be due to a loss of supervision, the panel did not receive the timed heartbeat signal from that sensor when expected. This is common with sensors suffering a low battery as signaling is reduced.

The Take-345 was my first thought, but I know there are a plethora of other zones on that device as well, so it should probably have reported them all. I’ll examine the front door and see if it has the DW20R.

Is the garage door showing as being a Dw20R as well? I don’t see how that could be the same as it’s our physical car garage door, not a door to the garage.

Thanks for the help!

Is the garage door showing as being a Dw20R as well? I don’t see how that could be the same as it’s our physical car garage door, not a door to the garage.

Ah, no, but it is programmed as loop 1, which means it is likely a DW10 or RE201, using the wired input for a wired overhead garage door contact.

Image attached. If it’s a wired sensor, why would it be reporting a low battery?

It is a wired contact detecting the door opening, and a wireless DW10 acting as the wireless transmitter to communicate with the alarm panel. The DW10 batteries would be low in this circumstance.

This video shows how to replace the batteries in a DW10.