Loss of Takeover with Repeater

Not that I’m aware of.

It’s mounted on an interior wall inside my mud room with the other side of the wall being my dining room.

The SMKT8e is nearly directly under and about 10-15 feet away in an open area from the panel. The RPTR1e is about 2 feet from this.

Is that mud room a laundry room with washer and dryer close by? If so how close?

No, just a mud room, about 10x10. No metal or anything like that.

The other 3 walls vary, with 1 being the attached garage wall, an interior wall to a small bathroom, and an exterior wall (across from panel) with vinyl siding.

Below the Panel/wall is an insulated flexible duct run and a couple 14-2 romex lines. Nothing significant in my opinion.

Other than the SMKT8e not regaining supervision of the freeze loop, I did not receive any alerts for the TAKE module sensors yesterday. I am not sure what you see on your end?

The utility room smoke detector and heat zones still show malfunction. This has been going on since its installation, that condition has not resolved in Alarm.com. Which zones on your panel right now show malfunctions?

If you bring that detector close to the panel and tamper the detector, does the panel register a tamper?

If not, double check battery polarity and double check the TXID in programming. There may be a typo if it was manually entered.

It looks like there are three zones for that sensor in programming, Smoke, Heat, and Freeze. FYI freeze reports being programmed as a Panic Button zone type. This is not correct and would lead to discrepancies in reporting as by default panic zones I don’t believe are supervised.

At this moment I show no zones in a malfunction state.

Yesterday I had taken the SMKT8e up to the panel and flipped the tamper switch left/right, and also removed batteries; the panel did not acknowledge.
While I had bought this new, and removed the pull tab out of the battery compartment upon initial programming, I swapped for brand new batteries and same outcome.

I then removed the SMKT8e from the panel programming, saved, and then re-added to the panel via Learning in the alarm via the test button and it took the TXID automatically.
I received a loss of supervision for all three loops on the SMKT8e last night at 8:22PM EST.

I had programmed the Freeze loop 3 as an audible alarm as I thought that’d remove the issue of dispatching any emergency services for a cold/freeze alarm. I’m guessing that’s not proper then?

I have not received a loss of supervision for any of the TAKE sensors since making changes on Monday.

Freeze zones should typically be programmed as type 08 - 24 Hour Auxiliary Alarm. Equipment Type is Freeze. Those are environmental alarm types. Dispatch does not occur on a freeze temp alarm.

Here is a thread discussing GC3 programming for a smoke detector with those three zone types.

However, I see that your SMKT8e is reporting a malfunction again in Alarm.com.

The last test I would recommend is just bringing the SMKT8e within line of sight of the panel close by and letting it rest there for a day. Do you still see supervision malfunctions when it is right by the panel? If so, replace the SMKT8e.

Thanks, Jason. I’ve updated that programming.

I moved the SMKT8e into the mud room with the panel, removed the malfunctioning zones and re-added them, and have NOT had an issue with that since. I performed that the same day you advised I make the change for testing.

I received a loss of supervision on my sump pump sensor last night, but hadn’t previously. I am going to again, re-seat the wires and see if that remedies that; though they all seem very solid now.

I’m also going to mount my encrypted repeater higher up on the basement wall to hopefully help capture these signals and pass them on to the panel. After all this, I feel like there is somehow interference being introduced through something in my basement.

It’s driving me nuts though!

After all this, I feel like there is somehow interference being introduced through something in my basement.

It is very likely that ducting or other construction elements in vicinity of the panel in the basement are causing more attenuation than expected.

You might try that Repeater in the opposite direction and on the 1st floor rather than basement. Any change?

Anything blocking the panel would have to be in the interior wall that I cannot see, and underneath there’s really nothing, so I’m a bit puzzled. Especially since my last house was built in the 50’s and had chicken wire/plaster ALL over the place; yet never had 345mhz nor zwave signal issues…??? Strange!

Are you saying place the repeater in the mud room on the opposite wall of the panel, facing the panel?

Are both the repeater and panel an omni-directional signal antenna? In that, they send and accept signals in all directions, as I’d assume?

Yes, the panel’s receiver and the repeater are omnidirectional. Attenuation may be higher from some areas, like the basement.

Yeah I just mean putting the repeater above the basement devices and on the first floor away from the panel location so the signals aren’t going through the same materials as the panel to reach it, as a test. The goal isn’t to get the repeater closer to the panel, but to change the direction and materials it goes through to reach it .

Thanks Jason.

I’ve moved the SMKT8e out of the panel’s room and back to its proper location (about 7’ up on wall) in my basement utility room. I had not received any loss of supervision once I had moved it to the mud room and reset programming.

I am not sure why I didn’t think of/notice this, but I have 2 additional 345MHz sensors in that same utility room that I have NEVER lost supervision of; a CO2 detector, about 8" off the ground, and a Temp sensor mounted on the wall about 5’ up.

Just now, I’ve relocated my encrypted repeater from the basement up to my 1st floor, about mid-way between the panel location, and where the SMKT8e and TAKEOVER module are located. I placed the repeater about 10’ up on the wall/top of my cabinet.

I did not have any loss of supervision on my TAKE last night, but did lose the Sump the night prior (10/11/21).

Good Morning,
I am coming to wits end on this supervision stuff…

I lost the Freeze sensor on the SMKT8e in my Utility Room this morning at about 4:30AM (10/14/21). Yet, did not lose supervision of the other 2 sensors on that SMKT8e (smoke/heat), nor did I lose any supervision of the other 2 sensors in that room (Temperature and CO2).

How is that possible?

Can you confirm I’ve programmed the equipment type for the SMKT8e properly?
A search showed if the equipment code on the e-series sensors weren’t right it could give a supervision issue; however, I had no loss of supervision for several days when the SMKT8e was in the same room as the panel.

I did not lose any supervision on the TAKE module yesterday either.

What’s odd, is the encrypted repeater is nearly directly above the Utility Room but on the 1st floor. Again, I have other sensors in this same room, with my CO2 being near the ground, and the SMKT8e up higher on the wall (nearer the joists that support the main floor) and have never lost the CO2.

Is there an antenna on the panel I need to install, adjust, do something with?

Other than continually moving this SMKT8e around, what else am I to do?
Why would 1 of the 3 sensors on the SMKT8e report loss but the other 2 don’t?

I really appreciate your help and replies!!! Thank you!

A search showed if the equipment code on the e-series sensors weren’t right it could give a supervision issue; however, I had no loss of supervision for several days when the SMKT8e was in the same room as the panel.

Great catch! It is not obvious in programming, but yes there are equipment codes for standard 2GIG 345 sensors and then separate ones for e-series. When selecting the equipment code within the panel there will be a description on the right, you would want to only use the codes which begin with e-series in the description.

It looks like your equipment code values for those smoke zones are for the standard 2GIG 345 zones.

Not sure why only one would malfunction first, and I would also have expected to see supervision errors sooner, but it’s hard to predict what will come of some mismatches. All three of those loops are incorrect. The e-series smoke detector equipment code for all loops should be 2058.

I would go through and make sure all E-series sensors have E-series equipment codes. If you have any non-E-series sensors, make sure those have the appropriate codes as well.

Hello,
I still have a non-stop loss of supervision on my sump pump which is handled via the encrypted takeover.

I removed the resistors that were in-line on all the previously wired sensors to the old panel that my takeover now handles, as I believe these were not needed when transferred over. I had mentioned this in a prior post but it wasn’t spoke too. In searching other threads, seems could have been an issue…???

I was able to change sensor type to unused or no response type and trip the contact float sensor and it immediately responds on the panel.

The loss of supervision remains however. Still is boggling how this happens with any of the 1 out of 6 sensors being handled by the same takeover?

Resistors are fine unless they are larger than 3kohm resistance. If they are over 3kohm, you can just remove them. The Takeover module just looks for something under that.

If there is high natural resistance on the wire there may be issues, but that should result in tampers, not offline malfunctions.

Just to confirm, which physical zone input number is the sump pump wired to on the TAKE?

Admittedly, I am not an electronics major, and am not positive what resistance these are. Possibly 20k? 4 bands, red black red gold.

I’ve removed them all anyhow, so that is really of no concern I believe.

I’ve not once received a tamper or had a failure to register a contact when manually triggered (recently performed over the weekend). I’ve only received the loss of supervision on the zone.

The Sump Pump float contact sensor, Normally Closed, is wired to the #6 input on the TAKE module.

The Sump Pump float contact sensor, Normally Closed, is wired to the #6 input on the TAKE module.

That sensor TXID as reported by your panel ends in a 7.

That means that zone is programmed to use input #7.

You do not have an input #1 device according to programming. The first zone ends in 2. I’m curious if the programming is mismatched.

Can you post a photo of the TAKE inputs?

It was my understanding that zone 1 on the Takeover module is the transmission ID of the module itself, which for me ends in 2.

Each zone is then incremented by 1 from that, with my zone 6 ending with 7 txid.

To confirm everything, I went through and learned in each zone through the panel learn button and triggering the sensor. This did not update any of my sensor transmission ID numbers unfortunately.

Doing this did clear the loss of supervision, so I’ll monitor and see what happens I suppose.

Alright. Well, 2GIG still doesn’t host an installation manual for the e-series version, but apparently unlike the standard 2GIG TAKE-345 the e-series version are being manufactured with random TXIDs which can end in any digit. And they say yes, increment from that digit rather than the zones being 1-8 for the TXID like the original takeover module. Your programming should be correct.

They did indicate that the individual zone input might have a physical issue.

A quick test for that would be to switch the Sump pump input zone with one of the known working zones on the TAKE. (physically switch the wire between inputs 5 and 6, for example.) Then switch the TXIDs in the panel to match and see if the problem follows the Sump Pump sensor or the physical #6 zone input.

I still get random and sporadic loss of supervision on individual and multiple zones from the Takeover and not always the same ones each time.

I am going to just put wireless contact sensors and remove the Takeover…

Another question in relation, is there any way to allow supervision so I am alerted of low battery, tamper, etc., but remove the audible alert from the panel?
If I could just receive a screen notification on the panel and notification on my phone through the app, that is more than sufficient.

It is the repeating alert sound on the panel every couple minutes that is completely unnecessary, and driving me, my family, and my dog nuts! Can that be removed?