Looking to Understand Available Options for Home with DSC System

We recently moved into a new house that has a DSC system installed by the previous owners. They didn’t really leave us any information on the system, though, and it is currently not live.

The main board on the system is a PC1832. The system has two RFK5500-433 keypads.

There is one hardwired zone, which is for the front door. There are two sirens that are hardwired as well (picture of the main box down below)

Everything else is wireless, which boils down to:

• Wireless sensors on most of the windows (DSC EV-DW4975)
  • Two DSC WS4916 smoke detectors

We’re currently only looking for monitoring for burglary / fire. I have another system for cameras, so no need for support there. We do want remote access to the system, though, through some kind of webapp / mobile app.

Is just adding an SEM (which currently looks sold out) to this system the right way to go here? If we have the mobile app, I don’t know if we would benefit too much from a more sophisticated panel, but maybe there’s something I’m missing?

Trying to understand options at this point before making any purchases.

Is just adding an SEM (which currently looks sold out) to this system the right way to go here? If we have the mobile app, I don’t know if we would benefit too much from a more sophisticated panel, but maybe there’s something I’m missing?

There are a couple options here. The first would be to just add the SEM, which would allow you to use the system as it is.

Here is a compatibility and installation guide for the SEM:

Another option would be to replace the panel that supports 433Mhz sensors, like the 433 version of the IQ Panel 4. If you want to upgrade, look for the IQP4002.

Adding devices and ongoing maintenance is easier with a Qolsys panel generally, but if you do not plan on adding more devices, and the system in place is functioning well, the best option may be the SEM, as it would give you remote access with minimal changes to the system.

So, it does look like our board is compatible with adding an SEM, so that’s good to know.

An SEM looks like it’ll cost somewhere in the $200-$250 range.

If we wanted to go the IQ Panel 4 route, what else is there to know. Looking at the Surety store, the panel listed there is the IQP4001, is that right? I gather that version won’t work with the sensors we already have, but the IQP4002 will?

Looking at the Surety store, the panel listed there is the IQP4001, is that right? I gather that version won’t work with the sensors we already have, but the IQP4002 will?

Yes, the panel in our bundles is the primary 319.5 Mhz version the IQP4001.

The IQP4003 345Mhz version is available as well, but we do not yet stock the IQP4002, which would be the model you would need for compatibility with existing 433Mhz DSC sensors.

Existing keypads would not work with the IQ Panel 4, neither would the wired siren. It would be a question of whether you are interested in easier automation options and device programming, and if that is not a concern, the SEM would be fine.

OK, yeah after a bit more reading I think I’m leaning towards just adding an SEM to our current hardware.

Do you have any idea when you will have that back in stock?

I do not have an ETA at this time, I believe the newest SEM300 model is available from some online sources.

Is SEM300 the right one for this DSC board? All the SEM300 listing I can find only mention compatibility with some Honeywell systems. The SEM models I find that seem to support the DSC PowerSeries line I have are the 210

My apologies, you are correct I don’t think there is a new SEM300 version of the DSC model yet, just Honeywell.

There is both a Honeywell and a DSC version of the SEM210, you would want the DSC Powerseries SEM210.

OK great.

So once I have an SEM, what are the next steps? Navigating to your Existing Equipment page:

Can I activate my equipment? - Surety (suretyhome.com)

Would I just be putting in the S/N for the SEM? When I click on the Need Help section I don’t see instructions for the SEM.

You can enter the SEM’s number labeled IMEI there to check and make sure it is unregistered, then purchase your chosen plan there (or you can just skip the check tool). You will be prompted to activate your account on our website after the purchase. Follow the activation steps to get connected.