Looking to start service with suretyDIY

I would like to place my initial order, but I have a few questions first. I have my login created and my shopping cart is filled with all my items.

The shopping cart is showing several “errors” about thermostats, PIR image sensors, etc. not being compatible with the newer GC3 control panel. Is this true?

I also included a Skybell so I believe I have to add the cloud video option so that it integrates with alarm.com. What can you do with the Skybell without the “cloud video” option? Is it still integrated into alarm.com to unlock doors, but you just don’t have live video?

I added three overhead door switches for my garage door and two side gates. I planned on using them with three DW10 switches I added to the cart also. I will just enclose them in an outdoor plastic electrical box. The DW10 says the contact must be NC. I could not find any info on the overhead door switch that listed it as NC or NO. Will it work with the DW10 for the purpose I’m intending?

I have several other questions so if somebody could get back with me I would appreciate it. Other questions are about the gold subscription which has several options/add-ons that do not have any descriptions to them (like scheduling).

Regards

Welcome to the forum! lets see if we can’t clear some things up

The shopping cart is showing several “errors” about thermostats, PIR image sensors, etc. not being compatible with the newer GC3 control panel. Is this true?

These are not “errors” per se The GC3 does not currently have a compatible Image Sensor, although one is in the works. It is also not currently compatible with the ADCT2000. While compatibility is coming (addressed through future firmware) there is not a firm release date for said firmware. Were there any other compatibility issues in your cart?

I also included a Skybell so I believe I have to add the cloud video option so that it integrates with alarm.com. What can you do with the Skybell without the “cloud video” option? Is it still integrated into alarm.com to unlock doors, but you just don’t have live video?

In order to install the ADC SkyBell HD you will need Alarm.com Cloud Video Level 1. It will not function through Alarm.com without it. The Alarm.com SkyBell HD will not work with the native SkyBell App either as the firmware on the ADC version is different.

Additionally, the ability to unlock doors remotely would come from Z-Wave door locks and not the Alarm.com Skybell HD. Door unlocking functions are placed within the Skybell feed on your smartphone for quick access.

The DW10 says the contact must be NC. I could not find any info on the overhead door switch that listed it as NC or NO. Will it work with the DW10 for the purpose I’m intending?

The 2GIG DW10 and the 4532L Overhead Switch are indeed compatible. The Overhead Door switch would be NC in this case.

Other questions are about the gold subscription which has several options/add-ons that do not have any descriptions to them (like scheduling).

Arming Schedules is an add on that allows you to create an Arming Schedule to Arm and Disarm the system at a set time each day. It is generally meant for Commercial reasons.

A post about Smart Energy Management can be found here.

All add ons and pricing information can be found here.

Tyler,

Thanks for the response back. The only other incompatibility listed in the cart was about the image/motion sensor. It said it was incompatible with a GC3 as you already confirmed, but it also said it was incompatible because it needs a 900Mhz transceiver. I know that the older GC2 panels have a slot for a 900MHz module to speak with 900MHz sensors. They natively speak 345MHz to most wireless sensors, but I’m not sure why there are two different frequencies for different sensors. They could all have been made to support one frequency and it would simplify the sensor manufacturing. It would also simplify the control panel manufacturing and not require extra modules. Hopefully that would all translate into cheaper control panels, but I’m not holding my breath. Well, that’s a whole other rant about not standardizing and causing customers grief.

Does the GC3 have a 345MHz and 900 MHz transceiver built in, or do we still need to buy a 900MHz module (Or did they actually standardize on one frequency and 2GIG deserves a trophy!)? Your answer will answer my other question if we should buy the PIR sensor and then firmware will make it compatible, or if you are talking about a totally different PIR sensor that is in the works and the current one will never work.

As you mentioned the thermostats seem like they will work in the future with a firmware update. I also was going to buy five of the temperature sensors (although I do not see you selling that item). Do those items work with the GC3? Do those sensors pair with the thermostat, the control panel or both. It sounds like you pair them with just the control panel, and alarm.com can use them in whatever way you want to automate things (obviously to control the temperature on your thermostats, but I’m sure other things are possible).

With my previous system, I had a rule that said if my alarm was unarmed, it would arm-stay at 8PM. I would try to have my alarm armed-stay as much as possible throughout the day, but just in case I forgot at night, it would get armed. I never scheduled an automatic disarm time. Would this require the additional scheduling option? Could I accomplish this with the geo when it sees I’m home or some other method?

Lastly, about the Skybell HD. With the normal Skybell HD, you can just update the firmware very easily thru the GUI or manually downloading the firmware. Is the ADC firmware updated as often as the retail Skybell? When I look at the retail Skybell, it says it is compatible with ADC and other systems. It does not mention it is incompatible and you should buy the ADC version, but I know you have stated in lots of areas that they are different firmware’s. I was just wanting to know if the firmware support is as good as the retail firmware.

Thank you for your help.

Robert

I have the ADCT2000 & sensors with a GC3. The sensor are showing up as failing on the panel but they seem to provide full functionality on alarm.com and the app.

D-

They could all have been made to support one frequency and it would simplify the sensor manufacturing. It would also simplify the control panel manufacturing and not require extra modules

The lower frequency rf is not used for more data heavy transmission like TS1, Go!Bridge, and Image Sensor and 345 mhz would not be used as a data transfer rf. 900 mhz is necessary for these GC2 devices.

Does the GC3 have a 345MHz and 900 MHz transceiver built in, or do we still need to buy a 900MHz module

The GC3 does not currently have a compatible image sensor, though we expect one soon and when one is released it will likely require a transceiver of some sort for communication. Currently there is no additional 900 mhz radio for the GC3.

or if you are talking about a totally different PIR sensor that is in the works and the current one will never work.

It will be a different model. The GC2 model will not be compatible.

Do those items work with the GC3? Do those sensors pair with the thermostat, the control panel or both. It sounds like you pair them with just the control panel, and alarm.com can use them in whatever way you want to automate things (obviously to control the temperature on your thermostats, but I’m sure other things are possible).

The remote temp sensors are not officially compatible with the GC3, but as above we have had reports that they will function through Alarm.com but the panel’s UI cannot properly display accurate status.

Keep in mind that unlike most other compatible Z-wave devices, the RTS requires to be learned in through Network wide inclusion, meaning the Panel and the RTS must be in their final locations before learning in. The more of them you use the more important it will be to use repeating nodes like light switches and appliance modules.

With my previous system, I had a rule that said if my alarm was unarmed, it would arm-stay at 8PM. I would try to have my alarm armed-stay as much as possible throughout the day, but just in case I forgot at night, it would get armed. I never scheduled an automatic disarm time. Would this require the additional scheduling option?

Yes, automatically arming would require arming schedules. I typically prefer arming reminders over automatic arming - greatly reduces false alarm potential. However, schedules can be very handy.

Arming reminders can be set up easily and do not require the schedules add on.

Is the ADC firmware updated as often as the retail Skybell? When I look at the retail Skybell, it says it is compatible with ADC and other systems. It does not mention it is incompatible and you should buy the ADC version, but I know you have stated in lots of areas that they are different firmware

We really do not have enough of a time frame for reference to make a comment to the frequency of updates. However, you can update firmware on video devices, including the Skybell HD, by logging into your Alarm.com account and navigating to the device settings for that camera. The most recent firmware version will be displayed as well as your current version with the option to update.

No, you cannot use a retail Skybell HD with Alarm.com service. Alarm.com is a partner listed on Skybell’s website, but it does not use the same model device. Skybell does not directly sell Alarm.com model devices. The reverse is also true. An Alarm.com branded model will not properly function with Skybell’s app.

Jason and Dtrick,

Thank you for your insight. It looks like I will have to remove the PIR sensors from my cart since they will never work with the GC3. I’ll just have to wait until their new one comes out.

As far as the frequency issue, I guess everything could have been 900MHZ then? Is the only reasoning for the two frequencies battery life? Maybe the 900MHZ frequency requires slightly more power than 345MHZ even if it were used for a simple signal like a window/door sensor. From my experience, frequency never really affected power level. The main issue with frequency differences is range. The lower frequencies can penetrate walls better than the higher frequencies. This would lead me to the conclusion that the 345MHz sensors like door/window have a much better range than the 900MHz sensors like the PIR, etc. Have you noticed differences in range between sensors with the two frequencies?

It sounds like the temperature sensors for the thermostat are zwave devices. I thought they were just like any other sensor which connected to the control panel with 345MHz or 900MHz. I guess because of the zwave compatibility, they can be used for any zwave purpose and system not just alarm.com. If it is like that, then they just have to be learned into the GC3 as a zwave device and then they will work (as you mentioned).

As for the Skybell, Have you noticed when there is an update for the retail version, does that also show up as an update for the ADC version? I am going to buy your ADC version, but for curiosity and a lot of other people that already own a Skybell and then look into alarm.com, is there a migration path? With the hardware being the same, do you simply flash the ADC firmware on a retail Skybell and vice versa? I’m lucky enough to know I need the ADC version from the start, but I’m sure that will not be the case for everybody.

Thank you all for your help and information. Since a home nowadays needs such a variety of different sensors, curious people like me tend to have a few questions about different ones. Especially, when there are huge differences between sensors like a Skybell video device versus a remote thermostat sensor.

Robert

As far as the frequency issue, I guess everything could have been 900MHZ then? Is the only reasoning for the two frequencies battery life?

2GIG engineers will likely not divulge any reasoning themselves but there are many reasons to use multiple frequency radios. Battery life is one hurdle. The biggest is likely transmission of data. Lower frequency carries a lower individual data transmit rate. TS1s must be able to accept OTA firmware updates wirelessly, and panel transmissions must be sent to Go!Bridge. Sensors have no need for this level of transfer and can be simpler overall.

Adding a $20 part to a 2GIG panel lets you keep high penetration sensor signals which need to reach far flung corners of the home and higher data transmission for control devices and the Image Sensor. It cannot be done in another way without increasing cost and harming performance of sensors or heavily limiting performance of control devices.

The lower frequencies can penetrate walls better than the higher frequencies. This would lead me to the conclusion that the 345MHz sensors like door/window have a much better range than the 900MHz sensors like the PIR, etc. Have you noticed differences in range between sensors with the two frequencies?

Typically, yes, the range of standard 345 MHz sensors will be a bit further than the 900 MHz devices. Given the type of devices that use 900 MHz, this is not usually ever an issue as everything is more centralized.

As for the Skybell, Have you noticed when there is an update for the retail version, does that also show up as an update for the ADC version? I am going to buy your ADC version, but for curiosity and a lot of other people that already own a Skybell and then look into alarm.com, is there a migration path?

It has not been out long enough to form any correlation. The retail Skybell HD does not impact the ADC version in any way and we do not support the Skybell app.

Flashing ADC firmware on a retail Skybell and vice versa is not currently supported. I don’t think it would be, but I cannot say for certain that it wouldn’t be worked out in the future.