Linear Z-Wave Garage Door Controller vs Liftmaster MyQ

I just noticed the new product Linear is releasing, and it looks cool, any news if go control and alarm.com will support it, also not sure if anyone has any thoughts on which is better the myQ or this z-wave component. I am looking to add the functionality of door control to my alarm so I can be alerted if it was left open. I do have a new lift master opener, It was the professional series so they did not have the MyQ at the time to install with it. Looks like I can just swap out the wall button though to the 888LM and get the gateway if I wanted it. Should I do this or wait for the official linear device?

Linear Z-Wave Garage Door Controller
http://www.linearcorp.com/product_detail.php?productId=1719

Thanks
Brian

I don’t have much in the way of experience with the Linear Z-Wave garage door controller. That being said, I imagine it would work similar to a light switch with open and closed being exchanged for on and off.

I think it’s really a matter of preference whether you wait or not.

The Liftmaster stuff all communicates to Alarm.com through your Wifi but doesn’t actually interact with the 2GIG panel in any way. As a result, commands tend to go through really quickly, you can control everything via your phone, but aren’t able to control the garage door from the 2GIG panel. The other downside is that if you’re internet goes out for some reason, you won’t be able to control the garage doors.

The Linear Z-Wave Garage Door Controller would be connected to your 2GIG panel and run on the Z-Wave network. This could make commands take longer to reach the device. Light switches tend respond MUCH quicker to remote commands than other devices, but there may still be a delay. I also might be completely off and it doesn’t function like a light switch, but I’d wager that’s how it will work. It can also be an issue if you don’t have a very strong Z-Wave mesh or if the device is very far away from the panel.

I don’t think Alarm.com has any plans to support the Linear garage door solution. If you’re using Alarm.com then definitely use Liftmaster MyQ. Linear is (or was?) developing their own Alarm.com-like service called LinearLinc which will support the Linear z-wave garage door solution. Alarm.com has partnered exclusively with Liftmaster.

I’m glad I read this thread. I was about to purchase the Linear device, I didn’t know that some Z-Wave devices were not supported by alarm.com
Are there other devices not supported, or is this pretty uncommon?
I usually just buy whatever Z-Wave devices I want (mostly switches and dimmers) and have never tried checking for compatibility before.

Yes, you’d be well served to post a question asking if it’s compatible before you buy a new device to use with 2GIG and Alarm.com.

Most all switches and dimmers will work but those are the most simple z-wave devices.

Just wondering if anything has changed with ADC now that the new 2gig firmware 1.13 now supports the Z-Wave door opener, I would do the myQ, but I prefer all the alarm stuff to follow the cell path.

ADC does not currently support the Zwave Garage Opener at this time. It has yet to be tested here though, and it may simply be recognized at the 2GIG Go!Control panel as a binary switch, which may then be controllable on Alarm.com as a light. We are unaware if Alarm.com intends to fully support its use in the future.

After awhile, looks like alarm.com now supports Linear product.

Alarm.com Release Notes 11/23/2015 Linear Z-Wave Garage Controller Now Supported We are expanding our garage door offering to include Linear’s Z-Wave Garage Door Controller. Note that this device is currently supported on 2GIG panels only and requires firmware v1.13+. Devices that were previously installed on 2GIG panels will now show up on the Alarm.com website and mobile app. Re-installation is not required.

I appreciate if anyone reports how it goes.

I am using the linear garage door controller just fine with alarm.com. I did have to remove and then add back the controller to get it to show up though as I previously had it installed locally on the panel. No configuration required once it saw it, just shows up under garage door.

bhawkins4194 - I have a couple questions for you. I’ve been trying to get this to work for me for a couple weeks now and many phone calls with my monitoring service. I have successfully joined the garage door opener with the 2Gig panel, but do not have access to control via alarm.com. I have been told 5 times from 5 different people that I must use either the MyQ Universal Hub or the MyQ Gateway.

1. You state “I am using the linear garage door controller just fine with alarm.com”. Does this include remote open/close capability as well as the ability to alert you if the door is left open?
  2. What version is the firmware on your 2Gig panel?
  3. Do you have any Gateways or Hubs along with the Linear device?

The linear Z-wave garage door opener is separate from and does not require Liftmaster devices.

It communicates directly with your 2GIG Control Panel as any compatible Z-wave device does. We cannot speak to the policies of any other provider, but you would want to verify whether it is supported by your dealer.

FYI - for all those who use/have Monitronics. The issue I am having is with Monitronics and not alarm.com. While alarm.com will support Z-wave remote control functionality, Monitronics does not. You will be able to control the door from the 2GIG Control Panel, but not from the website or a mobile device.

deleted