Lights schedule with sunset trigger not working

I have a schedule intended to turn on outdoor lights at sunset, but the schedule appears to never trigger. The lights will stay off all night unless I manually turn them on.

I can remotely control them via the panel, app, and website with no issue. The schedule also doesn’t turn them off at the set time after I manually turn them on.

I have tried deleting and recreating the schedule but the problem persists. Do you have any suggestions for how to get this schedule to work?

It looks like you have a number of schedules. Just to confirm, all the other schedules are working, even the Sunrise triggered ones?

Only the outdoor lights after sunset schedule is failing?

The schedule also doesn’t turn them off at the set time after I manually turn them on.

This is normal, the first portion of the automation didn’t trigger so the second part wouldn’t.

To make sure it turns off whether you manually turn the lights on or not, you could create a separate schedule that just turns them off, instead of using the “then turn off” logic in the sunset schedule.

The lights will stay off all night unless I manually turn them on.

What type of Z-wave device is that? It looks like it is a Zooz plug-in module, is that correct? Just to verify, how are you manually turning that plug on?

This may sound silly but sometimes there is confusion over a switched outlet. If that outlet is switched from inside, and you are turning the outlet off at the switch, the Z-wave plug-in module would be unpowered and inoperable until the swich is turned back on.

Yes

Correct

It is a Zooz ZEN05.

I can manually turn it on via the physical button on the module or via z-wave in the app, panel, or website.

I do not have any switched outlets at my house. The outlet the ZEN05 is connected to is always powered.

Thanks, just wanted to be sure about the switched outlet. Since that doesn’t apply, I think I would first try two things, both as a temporary test:

  1. Try creating a new sunset schedule that controls a different light.
  2. Try creating a new schedule for a specific time (not sunset) to turn on that outdoor light z-wave node that isn’t currently working with sunset.

Do either or both of the above work when tested?

I’ve created the rule and will follow up after sunset.

This worked. The ZEN05 turned on at the scheduled time and also turned back off with the second part of the automation.

1 Like

The test rule successfully turned on a different light at sunset.

The “outdoor lights after sunset” rule still failed to take any action even 30 minutes after the test rule with the same trigger had run. I was still able to remotely turn on that desired light using the app just now.

Hmm, let’s try editing that successful sunset test schedule to use the outdoor light instead. Then delete the current non-functioning outdoor lights schedule.

Does that schedule work?

That worked for turning the outside lights on tonight. I’ll update the schedule for tomorrow evening to see if also having the followup turn off at 11:30pm works.

1 Like

The schedule did not work tonight after adding the followup turn off. For next time I’ll try splitting on and off into separate schedules.