Kwikset lock not getting secure connection

Yes Jason , I have repeated the procedure you describe several times and get the same result secure connection not established during enrollment, I have repeated the steps you described several times, it would not work for adt either. I’m assuming once these locks get programmed to a vivint sky panel , vivint somehow renders them useless to be enrolled to another panel except their own??? I know they use proprietary sensors and equipment now, such as DW 11 sensors and GB2 glassbreaks, could they have blocked it somehow?? I’m glad I’m not alone in this

Thank you

I suppose anything is possible, if they have a specific model manufactured for them, perhaps. Could you post a photo of the lock’s label and model number?

I’m not aware of a way to otherwise “lock” a Z-wave device, though we would not have ever looked into such a thing.

Well spoke with several people at Vivint and found someone who was very knowledgeable with the Kwikset lock that I had. He suggested that I take the lock back to the original vivint panel that it had been installed on and go through the uninstall procedure there. I did that and did the remove devices and hit the top left button and the panel did the remove process. I did it again just to be sure. I then did a add z-wave and it accepted the device with no errors. It worked fine with that system. Did another couple removes. Took it back to the second system that I was having trouble with and did an add device and it added it and the it worked the way it was suppose to and didn’t give me the secure device error. I don’t know if any of the other posters had the device installed in another system or not but you might try that if you did. I also wonder if there is a way to totally reset the lock device back to factory default. ??

He suggested that I take the lock back to the original vivint panel that it had been installed on and go through the uninstall procedure there

This typically should not matter with regard to which controller is used to remove the device. Removal, or “clearing” depending on the controller you are using, can be done by any controller, and is necessary prior to re-inclusion on another network. It simply involves clearing the saved network link in the device itself. It should be done close by the controller. Just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy I just added a kwikset 910 to a GC3, removed it with a GC2, added to the GC2, removed with the GC3, then re-added to the GC3 with zero issues.

I cannot guarantee that there is not something unique about this circumstance. So it is definitely worth a try for others who are seeing this issue.

I also moved into a house with a Vivint Skycontrol panel. The Kwikset 910 door lock will pair with my new Qolsys panel 2 but will not function. I have done EVERYTHING several times…removing/pairing/rediscovering/etc. There is something that Vivint does to make it difficult to use their equipment on other systems. I will re-pair it with the Vivint SkyControl panel and try what thargrove posted above. Thank you for the research and posting your findings. I would like to see more information here at SuretyDIY that includes specifics about transferring from Vivint to DIY. Taking a Kwikset off Vivint and using it with a new system is different than any other system.

It does sound like there are differences with the Sky Panel specifically, but note that this would not affect users with a Go!Control panel instead of the Sky Panel. I’ll have our team look into adding this detail to our Z-wave guides.

For Z-wave devices, you’ll want to remove them all individually from the Sky Panel first. This is not needed from any other controller that I am aware.

I am having this exact same issue. With Kwikset 450191 and a GC3 panel. Replacing the old Skypanel from previous homeowners who had Vivint. Any update on this. It will connect but is then useless.

From user reports above you would want to perform the remove procedure on the Sky Panel first, then try-reinstalling on the GC3.

If the Lock was not previously connected to the Sky Panel, just be sure to have the lock within a few feet of the GC3 when trying to include it into the network. This proximity rule must be followed.

The sky panel wouldn’t give me the option to remove it, so I reset the panel. It no longer shows up on the Skypanel, but I’m still having the same issue on the GC3 Proximity isn’t the issue, I’ve followed that rule too. What should I do? I’ve tried over and over and over.

The sky panel wouldn’t give me the option to remove it, so I reset the panel. It no longer shows up on the Skypanel, but I’m still having the same issue on the GC3 Proximity isn’t the issue

Performing a Remove Device function from the panel is not to ensure the device is not listed on the panel, but to fully clear the network link which is saved in the device. It must be done.

See earlier in this thread where the user reports that he must do this from the Sky Panel. Typically this is not necessary and any controller can do this, but there appears to be something unique in this scenario requiring the removal from the original controller.

Apparently in newer firmware Vivint has made it harder to get to the installer toolbox. That’s why I could never find out how to remove it without resetting the panel. I finally found the info attached. Hope that helps anyone else having this problem in the future!

Thank you for following up and providing that info! I’m glad to hear you got it resolved.

Ok! So which z wave lock works best with the 2gig panel? I am looking at the kwikset 910. Thanks!!

Ok! So which z wave lock works best with the 2gig panel? I am looking at the kwikset 910. Thanks!!

Alarm.com compatible door locks can be found here. There are not really any functional differences between Kwikset/Schlage/Yale in terms of communication with the panel. This comes down to personal choice.

Generally I do not recommend the Kwikset 910, specifically due to the fact it only has 5 combination buttons. This drastically limits the possible number of code combinations.

I was able to finally figure it out after all this time , I had given up lol. Just an fyi vivint has a antitheft feature built in panel for lock making it useless with any other panel unless you remove it completely from vivint sky panel. I had to remove it , then re enroll in sky panel , then remove it again from sky panel, that was the trick , my lock was able to successfully enroll in my new panel???

I’m having this very issue, I know I’m a few years behind.
The kwickset I have is model 450191 and it joins the vivint panel no issue. But the aeotec smart hub never finds it.
I did the node removal and add many times. One of the removals I did 11 exclusions on the vivint panel.
If anyone has ideas I’d appreciate it!