Kwikset 909 quirks

I have a GC2 panel and two Kwikset 909 Z-Wave locks. This was all installed by the previous owners by Vivint and I switched it over to ADC/Surety a few months ago. The locks have been a challenge to get/keep working right. Currently, both will report their status to the panel and can be un/locked from there or mobile/web. However, my rules to dis/arm the panel when un/locking the locks don’t work. The locks also don’t report un/lock events to ADC anymore. I used to see something like “Kitchen unlocked by user slot 1” in the event log. (I’m guessing they are related.)

One of the locks was broken when we moved in (batteries inserted wrong; leaked onto PCB; goodbye electronics). The Z-Wave module was fine, so I got a replacement lock PCB on eBay. For a time, everything seemed to work fine. Then I removed the CT100 thermostat in favor of a Wi-Fi 'stat. That’s when the problems began. First it was the lock on the other side of the house that appeared to be out of range. I found a plug-in light controller in a cabinet and added it (GE ZW 4101) to Z-Wave devices and put it halfway between the panel and lock. Still didn’t have a reliable lock connection. So I re-added the thermostat (battery powered; I don’t have a C wire) and put it in another strategic location. Then I reset Z-Wave on the panel and started over, adding both locks, light controller and thermostat.

So, while I’ve really liked lock automation, it’s caused some real headaches, such as when the petsitter calls and can’t get it, or the alarm starts blaring after the door is unlocked by code. Any suggestions?

As an aside, can any of the Kwikset locks have their user codes managed from ADC/GC2 panel? It seems like the locks I have are early models and don’t support a master code and multiple user codes – just the two that are programmed at the lock itself.

Thanks

Officially the compatible versions of the Kwikset locks starts with the 910. As the 909 is not officially supported, we could not guarantee it would work appropriately with current panel firmware. It may be best to update to a newer model of lock, but there are a few things from above to address:

Then I removed the CT100 thermostat in favor of a Wi-Fi ‘stat. That’s when the problems began. First it was the lock on the other side of the house that appeared to be out of range.

If the CT100 was on a C-wire and acting as a repeater, it would likely throw off the network, so this is likely.

I found a plug-in light controller in a cabinet and added it (GE ZW 4101) to Z-Wave devices and put it halfway between the panel and lock.

A repeating device is a good solution, but you would need to run a network rediscovery on the 2GIG panel after adding the device and moving everything back to its permanent location. This maps the signal routes and is required in order to help resolve the mesh network issues.

So I re-added the thermostat (battery powered; I don’t have a C wire) and put it in another strategic location. Then I reset Z-Wave on the panel and started over, adding both locks, light controller and thermostat.

The thermostat would not help the network if it was learned in on battery power. It would not act as a repeater.

When learning in Z-wave devices, battery operated ones like locks especially, make sure to learn in the device when it and the controller are within about 6-10 feet of one another. This typically means taking the GC2 on battery and walking to the Z-wave devices.

When done adding devices, re-install the GC2 and run a network rediscovery.

As an aside, can any of the Kwikset locks have their user codes managed from ADC/GC2 panel? It seems like the locks I have are early models and don’t support a master code and multiple user codes — just the two that are programmed at the lock itself.

Yes, compatible models (910, 912, 914, 916) can have their codes managed from Alarm.com.

Thanks for the detailed info. I didn’t realize the older locks weren’t supported. I forgot to mention that I’ve run several Z-Wave network discoveries. The CT100 was always battery powered. I moved every device to within 2 feet of the panel when pairing.

I’ll look into upgrading the locks.

Just to verify, what is the distance between the panel and the two locks?

One lock is about two feet away. The other is about 35’ away on the opposite corner of the same floor.

Is it primarily the further one causing the trouble?

35 is definitely far enough to need a couple repeaters in between, but two feet is not, of course. We couldn’t say what level of compatibility you should expect unfortunately with that model, just checking if the closer of the two shows no issue.

Since I reset Z-Wave on the panel and added everything back (with the light controller halfway between the panel and farthest lock) I’ve not had problems with connectivity. But neither locks appears to report its un/lock events to the panel, so rules don’t work.

It also appears that the farthest lock has lost its code(s) a couple times, so maybe my bottom-dollar eBay lock PCB isn’t reliable.

Replacing both locks seems like a big pile of money for small upgrades, though the current situation isn’t very satisfactory.

I’ve not had problems with connectivity. But neither locks appears to report its un/lock events to the panel, so rules don’t work.

Unfortunately this may be a compatibility issue.

So you are unable to select the locks to receive user codes in Alarm.com on the users page? If you edit a user you do not see an option to give lock access?

I can assign lock access on the users page, but it shows a small red triangle next to each user with lock access. If I hover over it shows “Lock1 (failed)”, etc. I tried adding a user and it showed “Lock1 (pending)”. I removed the user before there was a status change.

That would mean that the codes have failed transfer, yes. It actually looks like the master code is reporting as having been successfully transmitted to one of the locks, but not the other. Note that one of the locks is showing low battery, which can affect signaling greatly. Try replacing the batteries in that lock and resend the codes by going to the Users page and clicking the little double arrow button next to “All Locks”

Well, that’s interesting. The low battery popped up over the weekend when we were away, of course. Interesting that one lock took the code. I just replaced the batteries (seems to drain them rapidly) in the other and clicked the double arrows. Didn’t know that was a button!

I’m now seeing failed/pending and failed/failed for the two main users. Un/lock messages are still not showing up in ADC events. I’m going to try resetting Z-Wave on the panel, resetting the locks, then re-adding everything. If that doesn’t do it I’ll replace one or both locks.

After considerable monkeying around, I made some progress. One problem I discovered was a faulty battery holder. When we bought the house, both locks had old batteries and one had them inserted wrong. That corroded the holder. I cleaned it up as best I could, though I think that’s contributed to flaky behavior. I’ve ordered replacements.

I then reset the Z-Wave controller on the GC2 and reset the 909 lock that’s had trouble. After adding the lock, everything seemed to work! I found that the 909 (at least with the old Rev.1 Z-Wave card I have) will only take the codes from the first two users.

Then I added the 2nd lock. That knocked the 1st lock offline, but it also took the codes. I tried to add the light controller (GE ZW 4101), but that didn’t help. So I started over again, only adding the 1st lock and the light controller (acting as a repeater). And the 1st lock is not consistently reporting its status to the panel. Sigh.

I’m giving up on the 909, though wanted to pass along these pieces of info to others using them:

• The 909 will take the first two user codes
  • Bad connections in/at the battery holder can cause frustrating problems, including short battery life

Thank you for your follow up! Overall I would recommend replacing any 909 with a compatible model to avoid the resulting issues.