Issue with Pool Gate Alarm

Hello, I just installed two systems for my friends new homes using the 2GIG GC3 Systems. I am going to have them sign up with SuretyDIY for their service, but need to know a couple of things to complete their installation first.

The State has a pool safety requirement that requires all doors leading to the pool to be able to sound for up to 30 seconds to let someone know if a child/infant has entered the pool area. Is there a way to utilize the current door sensors possibly using a scene or rule to make a sound for up to thirty seconds. The safety requirement does not have to be active all the time and can be off/on as needed. (I have made rules before that turn on lights and automate when a door was opened or closed but need to know if a sound/alarm can go off for 30 seconds or more)

Is the a zwave sensor compatible with 2gig GC3 that you sell that will work on a metal/cast iron pool gate?

Thanks

The State has a pool safety requirement that requires all doors leading to the pool to be able to sound for up to 30 seconds to let someone know if a child/infant has entered the pool area. Is there a way to utilize the current door sensors possibly using a scene or rule to make a sound for up to thirty seconds. The safety requirement does not have to be active all the time and can be off/on as needed.

Hello, happy to help out! In general there would not be an out of the box solution for this, but it could be put together.

One option would be to use a door sensor and a Z-wave appliance module. The appliance module could be set to turn on for a period of time before turning back off when the door sensor is tripped. Then you would plug a sounder of some kind into the appliance module.

I would urge caution before moving forward with that though, because if there are specific sounder requirements for your area regarding pool access for residential pools, they may be required to be separate from an existing alarm system, and they may have a prescribed audio cadence or announcement sound requirement. Using wireless Z-wave devices rules to trigger the sound may not be an acceptable solution.

It would be best to find a UL listed solution for such a liability and safety requirement. It may be best to contact pool installers in the area for information or suggestions.

Is the a zwave sensor compatible with 2gig GC3 that you sell that will work on a metal/cast iron pool gate?

As clarification, Z-wave sensors are not compatible with the panel. You would need to use the manufacturer’s compatible RF sensors. In the case of the GC3, that would be 345mhz 2GIG or Honeywell sensors.

The Honeywell 5816OD would likely be the best option for this use case. Even if it does not cover the local sounder regulation, you would get the benefit of remote status of the gate and can set up phone alerts whenever it is opened.