Issue with Nest Thermostat Malfunction

Surety Customer Service,

There seems to be a little cleanup needed on my GoControl. I moved to Nest for some of my smart home functionality and I’m now getting a Z-Wave thermostat malfunction on alarm.com and I don’t see my Nest thermostat anymore on Alarm.com. I checked my panel but I don’t see any reference to the 2Gig Thermostat. Can you remove all references on my system for the 2Gig thermostat, 2Gig door chime, 2Gig smoke detector & 2 x 2Gig carbon monoxide detectors?

Thank you

Happy to assist!

The malfunction reported regarding the thermostat is in regards to the NEST thermostat on your Alarm.com account. The NEST thermostat is not a Z-Wave device and you would not see this at the panel as the NEST thermostat is not enrolled directly into the panel. Updated equipment list commands have been sent and the NEST thermostat appears to be reporting normally, can you confirm?

Can you remove all references on my system for the 2Gig thermostat, 2Gig door chime, 2Gig smoke detector & 2 x 2Gig carbon monoxide detectors?

Should you need to remove RF sensors locally at the panel, please see this video here for more information.

Should you need to, Z-Wave devices can be removed locally as well. At the panel, start by clicking on Services-> Z-Wave- > Wrench Icon and enter your installer code then click Remove Devices and follow the un-pairing process of the Z-Wave Device in question. Always be sure to run a Network Rediscovery when done adding/removing Z-wave devices.

I understand that I wouldn’t see the Nest thermostat on my GoControl panel, it appeared that the old 2Gig z-wave thermostat was still linked to my alarm.com account. Alarm.com is no longer reporting this malfunction. Did you have to do something on your end?

I also removed the z-wave devices listed above on my GoControl but still see references to them on alarm.com.

I see where the confusion may lie. The Device labeled “Kitchen Thermostat” shows in the Automation Devices list with a type listed as “Z-wave thermostat” but in actuality is the Nest thermostat. This is normal. That is just how it will be described in the list.

There was a malfunction listed on the new thermostat, but after the command stated in the above response, it is gone.

I’m also having an issue where my outdoor z-wave outlet that controls my landscape lighting is losing connection with my GoControl panel. It’s inconstant but it happened last night and left the lights on all night. If I recall correctly, z-wave uses a mesh network so I put one of those empty Jasco movable switches near the window to hopefully solve this problem but it didn’t work. Is there an easy solution to this problem?

If I recall correctly, z-wave uses a mesh network so I put one of those empty Jasco movable switches near the window to hopefully solve this problem but it didn’t work. Is there an easy solution to this problem?

Yes, Z-wave is a mesh network, and that is the only way to solve an issue with distance or signaling.

A stronger network will have more AC powered nodes. If you added a repeater device between the light switch and the panel, did you then run a network rediscovery?

A rediscovery is required to map the wireless routes for devices.

I’ll run the network rediscovery and see if that helps. I’m running firmware 1.10, does the newer firmwares help with z-wave signal drop out?

Z-Wave device compatibility and general GC2 platform updates/improvements are often a part of each firmware version and it is recommended to keep your firmware up to date however, firmware updates will not specifically help with range issues regarding z-wave devices. To improve range, repeating devices are required.