Issue with Lutron RadioRa2 Reporting Malfunction

The alarm.com iPhone app warns me “MALFUNCTION (Lutrn repeater) “ for my RadioRa2 system. I have tried rebooting the repeater to no avail. Note however that the Lutron Home+ app can control the lighting just fine when I’m connected to the home WiFi network!

What should I do to fix this error?

Note however that the Lutron Home+ app can control the lighting just fine when I’m connected to the home WiFi network!

If you are connected to the LAN and controlling the lights but cannot do it through Alarm.com remotely, do you have internet access currently at your home?

We’ve sent some commands to sync status, but none of them are being acknowledged by the repeater, which likely means it has no internet access, just LAN access.

Hi Jason -

The RadioRa2 repeater does have internet access. Any way that I can perform the same test here that you are trying remotely? Perhaps I have to open up one or more ports on my home router?

Thanks!
David

No, only dealers have access to back-end diagnostics. However, you should be able to test via commands through the app to just turn on/off lights.

Did you make previous changes to your network/firewall? It looks like this malfunction has been reported for a long while on the repeater.

When is the last time you successfully controlled the lights through ADC?

From the Lutron RadioRa 2 Remote Access Guide:

What ports on my firewall need to be open to use remote access?
No port forwarding is required to use remote access.
Remote access uses an outbound connection to the Internet from the RadioRA 2 Main Repeater or
HomeWorks QS Processor, so the vast majority of residential routers do not have to reconfigure any
firewall settings to allow it to work.
However, some commercial routers (e.g. Dell’s SonicWall) may block the outbound ports (LAN to WAN)
used for remote access by the RadioRA 2 Main Repeater or HomeWorks QS Processor. In this unique
case, the following outbound ports need to be accessible through your firewall: UDP port 1130, TCP port
1131.”

Lutron remote access carries a yearly fee afaik. Can you confirm that you use the Lutron remote access service as well as ADC? That would be the only way to know whether the Repeater can communicate out of your local network.

It has been a while since I have been able to control my RadioRa2 lights via the alarm.com app. Perhaps a year? My network though hasn’t changed during this time - except for occasional router firmware upgrades. Where on the alarm.com or surety site can I check that the RadioRa2 connectivity settings are correct? I thought that I would find them under Settings->Devices->Automation, but I do not see the RadioRa2 repeater listed there now.

I have never paid for the Lutron Remote Access Service - my understanding / hope was that ADC would give me this capability as part of my regular subscription.

Thanks,
David

I have never paid for the Lutron Remote Access Service – my understanding / hope was that ADC would give me this capability as part of my regular subscription.

Correct, remote access is included with ADC Interactive Gold service. The reason I ask is that you would not have another method of testing if the Repeater actually has internet access itself. It may have its communication blocked for some reason.

If you can access it on the LAN but we cannot ping it remotely that means it cannot communicate out through your router.

Where on the alarm.com or surety site can I check that the RadioRa2 connectivity settings are correct? I thought that I would find them under Settings->Devices->Automation, but I do not see the RadioRa2 repeater listed there now.

You do not manage network info on Alarm.com. You would want to use the RadioRa2 App on your LAN to connect and check the network settings for the repeater.

Is the repeater using DHCP or did you set a static IP address? If static, make sure that the address is accurate for your network and a duplicate device on the network was not assigned the same address. Try editing the IP address and saving.

If static, you could also try switching it to DHCP (automatically getting an IP assigned by the router).

The Lutron Network Guide can be found here.

OK - we’ve got some progress here! I tried to use the Lutron Home+ Android App to set up remote access. It complained that the network settings were not correct and offered to fix them. I chose “OK”, and that seemed to fix the main problem. Now I can turn lights on and off via the Alarm.com app.

However a problem remains. The state that the various sliders show for the lights is initially wrong. For example, the “Playroom Cans” slider is set to 100% originally - even when the lights are off. Is this a known problem with the Alarm.com app or is there still an issue with my setup?

Thank you!
David

Well, status has not been synced since the repeater lost internet connection. Try toggling the lights and verifying the correct status is updated in ADC.

We’ve sent a command to request an updated equipment list just to make sure everything is listed properly.