Iq4 and Z-wave smoke detectors

I got a Qolsys IQ4 panel and the dealer said Z-Wave devices would connect and function without issue, so I purchased some First Alert Z-Wave smoke/CO2 alarms on Amazon. However, their installer said he was unfamiliar with these detectors but was sure they wouldn’t function properly. I was able to get them to connect to the panel by going into settings and adding the DSK. The detectors communicate with the panel including checking for a heartbeat every hour and even communicate when smoke is detected. Is there anyway to trigger an alarm on the panel when smoke or CO2 is detected so I have smoke and fire monitoring?

I’ve had several other issues as well, such as adding a garage door or getting video feeds to work, and my dealer has been less than helpful and I don’t have a lot of faith in their product knowledge. I know I can buy the IQ detectors but i’m not sure I want to make that investment just yet. I really appreciate any feedback and will be switching over my monitoring as soon as possible if I can get this to function the way I expected!

Although you can use Z-Waves devices with the system, Z-Wave devices cannot trigger alarms.

I prefer the PowerG detectors over the IQ detectors since the PowerG smoke detectors will automatically go off if the panel goes into a fire alarm and they have a much greater range. If you do decide to get the IQ Detectors, make sure you have the correct version of the IQ Panel. The Qolsys detectors run off of the 319.5 frequency which is used by Qolsys and Interlogix sensors. PowerG devices are supported on all versions of the IQ Panel 4.

Here are some helpful links about the sensors:

Compatible Z-Wave Devices
Compatible RF sensors

1 Like

I currently have some existing smoke detectors in my condo. They are all “hardwired” to power (and have a 9V battery backup inside).

If I were to replace these to work with my IQ4 panel, the PowerG Smoke’s look tempting, but the 3 AAA batteries do NOT. That seems like I’m going to be changing batteries all the time.

Are there any good smoke (or CO) detectors that either have 10-year batteries or support a hard wired power connection that will work with my IQ4?

Thanks!

The typical battery life with these detectors is around 3 years, although I have heard some people recommend changing smoke detector batteries at least once every year regardless of the battery level.

I don’t believe so unless you use a hardwire kit and wired smoke detectors meant for alarm systems. Someone else can probably give you better advice than me about that.

Alternatively you can get a smoke detector listener and place it by one of the smoke detectors as long as they use the temporal 3 sound. If the detectors are interconnected then you’d only need one listener for the system. If they aren’t then you would need a listener for each smoke detector you’d want to monitor. Just make sure the smoke detectors you have aren’t expired.

Alternatively you can get a smoke detector listener and place it by one of the smoke detectors as long as they use the temporal 3 sound. If the detectors are interconnected then you’d only need one listener for the system. If they aren’t then you would need a listener for each smoke detector you’d want to monitor. Just make sure the smoke detectors you have aren’t expired.

Based on the stated concerns this is the best bet. Using AC interconnected smoke detectors and a single listener would make it so you only have the one battery to worry about, but if you do not have interconnected smoke detectors then this wouldn’t work.

Yes, you can expect up to about 3 years of battery life for the PowerG unit, and that is pretty common. I’m not aware of any disposable style 10 year sealed battery monitored sensors compatible with the system.

Is this combination still working? I tried enrolling and wasn’t able to get the Panel to not show the devices as unknown. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

Is this combination still working? I tried enrolling and wasn’t able to get the Panel to not show the devices as unknown. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

Can you please clarify this question? “Unknown” is a display relevant to Z-wave, so it sounds like you mean you are trying to add a Z-wave smoke detector.

If so please see the first reply above.

I dont need this panel to do the alarm, i just want it to do supervision and the battery level. How do I get this to work?

Yes I want to use the IQ4 to monitor the battery and supervision on my First Alert Z-Wave smoke/CO2 alarms. I dont need the alarm to go to the panel.

The panel does not support Z-wave alarm sensors or smoke detectors. They will not work with the panel, and any related functionality is not expected.

Z-wave is used for lights, locks, thermostats, outlets, etc. Generally for automation devices try to stick to the Alarm.com supported devices list here.

Hmmm, The first post shows that he got them working. "I was able to get them to connect to the panel by going into settings and adding the DSK. The detectors communicate with the panel including checking for a heartbeat every hour and even communicate when smoke is detected. "

Any idea how to repeat this functionality?

Really just trying to add it as a misc zwave device.

I have a few outlets that cant quite reach and i want to utilize my Zcombo smoke alarms as part of the zwave mesh, but also want to see battery and supervision to make sure my Zwave outlets are still in range.

Any idea how to repeat this functionality?

The original poster is not a Surety user at this time, I cannot confirm how any devices are reporting on the system from our end. It is not expected that Z-wave sensors of any kind would function on the panel in any capacity. I would expect they would only be paired as an unknown device.

I am not fully following the hourly supervision detail. There is no configurable Z-wave supervision aside from Z-wave sirens. I am guessing they may mean that they saw events visible on the Z-wave Device Status menu for that device. Are you able to see anything there?

I would not expect the panel to react to the Smoke Detector in any way when activated. No Alarm.com panel has historically supported this, as Z-wave is not rated for life safety sensor use. I am guessing the individual is suggesting they saw activity in that Device Status Menu.

I have a few outlets that cant quite reach and i want to utilize my Zcombo smoke alarms as part of the zwave mesh

Unless you are referring to a different model, I believe those ZCombo detectors are all battery powered correct? These are not repeating nodes, they do not improve Mesh network reliability. Battery operated Z-wave devices rely heavily on other AC powered nodes for reliable communication to the panel.

You would need AC powered Z-wave devices for always on repeater functionality.