IQ2+ HW1 and HW2 always "tampered" when closed

I have two hardwired sensor zones from my previous alarm system. I’ve wired them into the HW1 and HW2 terminals on the IQ2+. In auto-learn mode, when I open/close them, they are learned and added, but when closed both are showing status “tampered”. Per page 11 of the IQ2+ manual, I have a 4.7K resistor in series with the sensor. HW1 is for my front door. When closed, the resistance measured across the sensor is about 2 ohms and open when opened, as expected. Same for HW2 sensor.

I tried a 2K resistor instead of a 4.7K, same result.

Is there a setting for the IQ2+ HW zones that I need to change before “learning” them?

TIA

When closed, the resistance measured across the sensor is about 2 ohms and open when opened, as expected. Same for HW2 sensor

If you have a 4.7kohm resistor in series then the closed resistance should be 4.7kohm for that circuit.

Where is the resistor installed, at the sensor or at the panel? Where are you measuring the resistance? Resistance needs to be measured with the wires removed from the panel, between the wires at the panel end.

Feel free to post a photo of all wiring as that can help us identify issues.

Hi Jason,

The resistor is installed in series in one wire just before the two wires go through the wall to the panel. I didn’t measure directly at the panel only because the terminal block is small enough it was a bit of a chore to get the wires inserted with my fat fingers. I’ll pull the panel down and measure at the end and let you know. Fyi, the resistors I used are 5% tolerance and measured at ~5k when on my bench.

Here’s photos at the panel wires with the door open & closed.

How quickly does the panel measure resistance and decide to throw a tamper? I’m wondering if the door sensor, which is fairly old is “bouncing” when the door is being shut, causing the panel to decide on a tamper. My digital meter doesn’t respond fast enough to see a bounce if that’s the case.

5.7 kohm is outside of the tolerance. That is why the zone shows tampered when closed.

A tampered message on a wired zone means specifically that the resistance is not an expected value.

That means there is close to 1 kohm of resistance naturally on the wire, which is really high. The first thing to try is to cut the wire at both the sensor end and the panel end and expose fresh wire ends for the circuits, then reattach. Any difference in measurement?

Ok, I’ll try that. What is the acceptable range?

So the IQ2+ panel doesn’t learn the resistance as the add on hardware subpanels do? It just expects the closed resistance to be within a certain range?

Apparently my junkbox 4.7k resistors don’t honor their tolerances… The 4.7k actually measures at ~5.65k. What does work though are a couple of 2.2k’s in serial, ending up at 4.4k. I just jumpered them in on HW1 and it is working properly. (The wiring isn’t adding 1k luckily, I guess I just misread the first time I measured the 4.7k.

Let me know what the acceptable range is btw, just for reference.

Thanks for your help!

Expected tolerance, like with the resistors, would be ±5%