IQ Remote "malfunction" error

Hi,

I have an IQ Remote and an IQ Panel 4 and over the last several weeks the remote has started losing its connection to the main panel. Getting it to reconnect involved rebooting both panels at best, sometimes removing and re-registering the remote panel on the main one, and still sometimes it still wouldn’t connect but would come back a day later. The wifi connection is strong and I’ve even set up static IP addresses for both panels in case that was an issue, but no change.

As of a couple days ago, I started getting a message from Surety that says:

Malfunction (Master Bedroom Panel)

Malfunction (Master Bedroom Panel) indicates that this device is either unable to send signals to your security panel or unable to communicate properly. This device may not trigger an alarm or signal for help in an emergency.

and I’ve been unable to get the remote connected again. Does the remote need to be repaired/replaced? Both panels indicate that they have the latest software installed.

Do you use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz bands? Do you use a mesh router? The remote and the panel require a stable LAN connection if they are paired through your home wifi, so a unique 2.4Ghz SSID is typically required.

Another option would be to instead try the built in access point mode for the IQ Panel and connect the remote directly to that.

The settings are found on the panel under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Wifi Devices > Access Point Settings.

To eliminate possible problems, I set the radios to just use the 2.4 band when the connection issues started (I was using the same SSID for both our 5 and 2.4 for a while). But, for other reasons, I did separate those a couple weeks ago. Everything is on 2.4 in this case, and the 5ghz SSID is different.

Can you instead try the built in access point mode for the IQ Panel and connect the remote directly to that?

The settings are found on the panel under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Wifi Devices > Access Point Settings.

Do you notice a difference in connection reliability that way?

Thanks, Jason. It immediately connected when I did that. I’ll give it a few days and see if that’s more reliable.

1 Like

Everything continues to work fine, so I think this solution has resolved my issues. Thanks again.