IQ Panel 2 upgraded to 2.2.0 last night

Is there a changelog? I think it’s the first time I’ve had the panel just update itself before the info was posted here. :). Off the cuff I couldn’t tell many visible changes, but when you go to settings, there is a new “License” icon that wasn’t there before that shows you the EULA.

Typically automatic updates aren’t enabled in Qolsys servers until a while after it is available for manual download and the change-log is available.

Firmware update contents are posted here when tested. Should be available soon.

I noticed the other day that my IQ 2 panel was also updated to 2.2.0 even though I specifically have the panel set to not automatically update. Nevertheless, ever since the update my Z-Wave devices have been struggling to work correctly. Before the update, everything was working well.

For example, my doors should automatically lock when the alarm panel is set to away, but since the 2.2.0 update, sometimes the locks fail to lock and sometimes they work just fine. Nothing has physically changed in the house and, as far as I can tell, the only variable to change was the panel firmware version.

Frustrating, especially since I didn’t ask for the update in the first place.

Is this related to a suretyDIY subscription? I am not seeing one in this case. We wouldn’t be able to confirm anything via Alarm.com as far as when the new firmware was applied.

It is interesting and strange if 2.2 was applied without automatic update selected.

We are not aware of any Z-wave specific issues, none in our testing anyway, but we have forwarded your concern to Qolsys to see if they have knowledge or suggestions. We will post any response here.

In general, the first step I would try if you have inconsistent Z-wave performance is to run a network rediscovery and see if the route mapping assists. You can find Network Rediscovery on the IQ Panel 2 under Advanced Settings - System Tests - Z-wave Tests.

I’m on the phone with my alarm service provider and have been told that the 2.2.0 update is not for use and that the panel is reporting an error as “not production firmware”. I am being told that it was installed on the 18th, something that I did not do manually and I have the panel set to not automatically update.

They have submitted a ticket with ADC and will escalate to Qolsys as needed to get this resolved.

2.2.0 is indeed a production firmware version, but it was likely pushed out before ADC gave their seal of approval. Units that have 2.2.0 will report as “Non-Production” as a trouble condition in ADC currently, likely until it is fully supported. (our own test panels show this)

As soon as Qolsys provides details on the auto-update we will post here.

Interesting. Well, if it is indeed production firmware then it has caused havoc with my Z-Wave network. I find it too coincidental that my Z-Wave network was fine until last week when the panel updated itself.

As far as a network discovery is concerned, I did do that. I also ran individual Z-Wave tests from the panel. The tests all passed fine, but the network rediscovery ran into a few “nearest neighbor” errors. When I look at the network map from the panel, it shows a lock or two off network. If I then re-run the network discovery for those off-network locks, they are discovered without the “nearest neighbor” errors.

Unfortunately, they sometimes work and they sometimes don’t. Never had any of these issues before the firmware update. If I can go back to 2.1.1 (or whatever the last firmware was), I would. I don’t want to update until I’m ready, so having this pushed to the panel has really caused a mess.

Unfortunately, they sometimes work and they sometimes don’t. Never had any of these issues before the firmware update

What devices are functioning as repeaters for them? Curious, are you relying on thermostats to be repeaters at all for the locks?

I don’t want to update until I’m ready, so having this pushed to the panel has really caused a mess.

According to Qolsys for any panels running 2.1.1 that had the setting “Automatic Background Check and Download” enabled, they automatically went to 2.2.0 in the set interval (even with Automatic Upgrade disabled). They are investigating this.

You cannot revert the firmware to a prior version.

Two thermostats, a siren, and three light switches are all acting as repeaters.

I tried downgrading the firmware and discovered just what you said, that I can’t. Now I’m stuck on a firmware I did not want with no way to go back, all while suffering failures I did not have prior.

Not good. Qolsys’ quality control is lacking. I would love to know what they are investigating since what’s done is done. Now I have to figure out what my next step is, because this isn’t working as is.

Mine automatically updated itself the day after the ops. We came home about 10pm at night and about 5 minutes after disarming the panel it started updating itself followed by the two IQ Remotes linked to it. I have auto update off on my panel also. I wonder if this update perhaps addresses a vulnerability hence the update for everyone.

I spent quite a while last night repeatedly rediscovering the network. Over and over again. Finally, I got the network map to show all device online. This morning, the locks behaved as they once had, so fingers crossed I have somehow stumbled into a stable network once again. I am also going to add some independent repeaters to help boost the network, just as a precaution.

Oh, and I had the “Automatic Upgrade” off but the “Automatic Download” on, so I have now changed and verified that I have both options off. I don’t want any more random upgrades of the firmware.

Now I have to figure out what my next step is, because this isn’t working as is.

Unfortunately if you do not use suretyDIY as your service provider we cannot assist in the same capacity as we would otherwise be able to.

However, Qolsys indicated that they have not heard other Z-wave issues like this reported. The issue is likely specific to your network.

There shouldn’t be any impact, but if you are seeing abrupt Z-wave problems I would try re-learning both the locks and the repeating devices which have power save flirs mode (thermostats and likely siren, depending on model). On a wild hunch I am curious if these devices were previously repeating but now report in power save. Re-learning the locks themselves will also address some possible failures.

Be sure to learn the devices in within 6-10 feet of the panel (locks especially). After re-learning all the Z-wave devices, move the panel back to its permanent spot and run a network rediscovery.

Mine automatically updated itself the day after the ops. We came home about 10pm at night and about 5 minutes after disarming the panel it started updating itself followed by the two IQ Remotes linked to it. I have auto update off on my panel also. I wonder if this update perhaps addresses a vulnerability hence the update for everyone.

Qolsys did not indicate as such. 2.2 adds support for many new upcoming features, such as video to the panel screen. From above Qolsys stated:

any panels running 2.1.1 that had the setting “Automatic Background Check and Download” enabled, they automatically went to 2.2.0 in the set interval (even with Automatic Upgrade disabled).

I have the network stable as of this morning, so hopefully I have it all worked out. I’m not entirely confident, however, so I hope adding some secure repeaters will help. Question: when rediscovering the network, is there a recommended order to rediscovering individual devices (such as thermostats first, then light switches, then locks, etc.) or do I select all devices and then have the panel rediscover them automatically one by one?

Question: when rediscovering the network, is there a recommended order to rediscovering individual devices (such as thermostats first, then light switches, then locks, etc.) or do I select all devices and then have the panel rediscover them automatically one by one?

I would select all devices and run a network rediscovery on all. This will remap all neighbor routes and should provide the best network communication.

Ok, thanks.

Happy to help!

Adding repeaters will always help strengthen a Z-wave network, a signal can make 5 jumps to get to the intended device.

If you were having 0 issues before though it would be good to try re-learning at least the locks to ensure everything is installed fresh and see if that makes a difference before adding more devices (unless you were going to add those devices anyway)

Yeah, as I said I think I have the locks stable again. We’ll see what happens tonight when I get home and tomorrow morning. Since the issues were happening every single day since last week, if I make it to the weekend with no disruptions then I will be mostly confident that the network is good again.